Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
carter said:
I pulled the trigger on the BIN this morning on this Clear Beaver Quality Stetson Beaver 50.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150297613485&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005
Going to try to stretch it up? Great hat.
It looks like a '60s one, probably tail end of the 7x clear beaver. You see it has the later style size tag, narrower sweatband (though the older, larger stamp was used on it), and the newer style of liner? Interesting to see both the stetson 50 and the 7x clear beaver stampings on it. Should clean up nicely.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Be sure to post that one over in the quality thread to add to the mayhem. :p

I'll be sure to do that. Amen to the mayhem.

Dinerman said:
Going to try to stretch it up? Great hat.
It looks like a '60s one, probably tail end of the 7x clear beaver. You see it has the later style size tag, narrower sweatband (though the older, larger stamp was used on it), and the newer style of liner? Interesting to see both the stetson 50 and the 7x clear beaver stampings on it. Should clean up nicely.

I actually bought it because I haven't seen one with both stampings before. I don't know about stretching it to a 7 1/2. Seems like a bit much.

GoldenEarache said:
I saw that one, I thought it was a great hat for that price. Good job. Now you can join the Non OR OR club!

I'm a member of that organization at least twice over, maybe more. Too many clubs makes for a long signature block. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Calling Bolthead! How did you miss this one?
Just look at that liner. I can't read the sweat, but the hat sure looks like an oldie.
Based on the purchaser, we can be sure to see this hat listed again soon.
3103_1.JPG

2fa8_1.JPG

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lefty said:
Just look at that liner. I can't read the sweat, but the hat sure looks like an oldie.
3103_1.JPG

2fa8_1.JPG

I had one with very similar markings on the sweatband (see how it's marked in black?) that was dated 1954. So I'd guess, based on the style and the sweat that it's mid '50s, maybe a little later based on the back-bow.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty....

Lefty said:
3103_1.JPG

2fa8_1.JPG
I did miss it.....
Someone gave me a heads-up on it, I had it on my watch list, and I was gone for the day......forgot all about it. [huh] I would've loved to snagged it. :eusa_doh:

MattJH

One Too Many
I was watching that one out of curiosity, Lefty. It'd be a bit too small on me. It's a Borsalino Torino. According to Borsalino, the serial number on the Torino will tell you its age. The first 2 numbers of it correspond to the year of its production. A fellow lounger's Torino is from 1975.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There's a thread where BK posits a dating method that seems pretty accurate regarding those first two numbers. However, of my 2 vintage Borsos, one has it reversed. The first 2 numbers would indicate that it's from the 30s, but the last 2 numbers make it a mid-60s hat - which it certainly appears to be. The other is within 2 years of that one, but has the year in the first 2 numbers.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Check under your sweatbands!

This afternoon, I received the message below from an ebay seller who I asked to look for a size tag beneath the sweatband of a hat they are selling. The hat was their grandfather's.

Seller said:
You won't believe it! under the band was a folded up 100 bill an old one! but no size just the (11) on the underside of the cap.

How 'bout that! :D

Just won this Stetsonian. Finally, a hat under $100.

9394_1.JPG

MattJH

One Too Many
Carter:

The playing field is even now. I put a bid in on that Stetsonian before meeting up with some friends at the bar earlier. Congratulations to you! And that was won for WELL under $100! Nice job.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dumbjaw said:
Carter:
The playing field is even now. I put a bid in on that Stetsonian before meeting up with some friends at the bar earlier. Congratulations to you! And that was won for WELL under $100! Nice job.

Thanks DJ, I actually stumbled over that one with under two minutes to go. Whew! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe