Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Supernaturals that I've bought have all been very nice quality. I hope we have a chance to see how fine and how old it is. I thought post WWII.

I've owned a couple Supernaturals that I was pretty sure were from the WW2 era. This one to me seems a bit earlier. The style of the hat and sweatband scream 20's/30's to me. It will be interesting to see what your detective works uncovers!!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This hat is much more special than many on the lounge realize. This panama has a very tall crown with a deep crease and side dents. Unreeded sweatband and stampings place this hat somewhere in the 20's/30's more than likely. Not only is the weave very fine, its extremely rare to find a panama from the 20's/30's that's not cracked or crushed. Many panamas are woven with short crowns and you simply cannot "raise the crown height" on a panama that easily. Panamas are woven on specific blocks with specific heights and with the exception of squeezing an extra 1/8 of an inch out of an already blocked crown...the height is pretty set. Unlike felts that can be raised using brim material. If you were to buy this same hat from Optimo today, pending they could source the oversize fine woven panama bodies (a handful of people in the world that can still weave fine bodies), its would cost between $1000 - $2500. At $150, it was a STEAL 10 times over.
And for me not even knowing all that much abt Panamas, I knew there was something a bit "special" abt that hat. I also just simply liked it for obvious reasons and could see its worth but couldn't afford to steal it for that price.

Looks like I'm taking in another from the cold for some recuperation and restoration. A Barclay which, from research here at the FL, is French (hope it's not a cheesy hat!). The unreeded sweatband is separated on one side, so I'll more than likely be putting a new one in. Seller stated 5 1/2" crown and 2 1/2" brim. Seller's pics...

Picture10.png

I now have three refurbs in the queue. I'm starting to feel like a hatter! :)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Looks like I'm taking in another from the cold for some recuperation and restoration. A Barclay which, from research here at the FL, is French (hope it's not a cheesy hat!). The unreeded sweatband is separated on one side, so I'll more than likely be putting a new one in. Seller stated 5 1/2" crown and 2 1/2" brim. Seller's pics...

View attachment 46604

I now have three refurbs in the queue. I'm starting to feel like a hatter! :)

crazy ... I actually thought of you when I saw that some days ago

rclark

Call Me a Cab
This hat is much more special than many on the lounge realize. This panama has a very tall crown with a deep crease and side dents. Unreeded sweatband and stampings place this hat somewhere in the 20's/30's more than likely. Not only is the weave very fine, its extremely rare to find a panama from the 20's/30's that's not cracked or crushed. Many panamas are woven with short crowns and you simply cannot "raise the crown height" on a panama that easily. Panamas are woven on specific blocks with specific heights and with the exception of squeezing an extra 1/8 of an inch out of an already blocked crown...the height is pretty set. Unlike felts that can be raised using brim material. If you were to buy this same hat from Optimo today, pending they could source the oversize fine woven panama bodies (a handful of people in the world that can still weave fine bodies), its would cost between $1000 - $2500. At $150, it was a STEAL 10 times over.
I hear you. I have a serious case on non-buyer's remorse! Ugh!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ps. That's 125.00 not a buck 25 ($1.25) I dont believe the seller new the hats worth. It probably could been had for $50 or less...

Good panama hats are often bargain wins on eBay. Most older (1920s-30s) hats from Ecuador have an optimo crease and seem to be eschewed as archaic or they pass under the radar. Please don't tell anyone.

The shape on this one is unusual and it's a nice size if the measurements are correct. The sweatband does have an older look in the photos, though I haven't seen the moisture barrier used behind the sweat in that era. But it certainly could have been.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Good panama hats are often bargain wins on eBay. Most older (1920s-30s) hats from Ecuador have an optimo crease and seem to be eschewed as archaic or they pass under the radar. Please don't tell anyone.

The shape on this one is unusual and it's a nice size if the measurements are correct. The sweatband does have an older look in the photos, though I haven't seen the moisture barrier used behind the sweat in that era. But it certainly could have been.
"Please don't tell anyone...?" Lol.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Gripe here

Seller "phototrapper" thought it was a good idea to ship a hat like this.
You can see the depth of the box in the pic.
The box was not crushed by carriers ... It was perfectly fine
The seller is simply a moron

e2fc49424ecce4d95368004f45433e61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Gripe here

Yes I can see the "depth" or in this case lack thereof... did the hat survive? Don't you sorta like those casual and informal knuckle sandwich type bashes...?

Gripe here

I feel you moon. That Champ OR clone of mine came that way and those hats are so stiff I thought I'd never straighten it out. When I attempted to contact the seller (same day), eprey responds that the seller is no longer registered. Pissed, to say the least.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yes I can see the "depth" or in this case lack thereof... did the hat survive? Don't you sorta like those casual and informal knuckle sandwich type bashes...?

apparently Phototrapper was Ed Nortons personal basher back in the mid 50s on the set of the Honeymooners ... close personal friend of Art Carney

but yes it survived ... very resilient felt on these old hats ... I threw it on the block and hit it with a touch of steam and it woke right up immediately will no ill residuals

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I feel you moon. That Champ OR clone of mine came that way and those hats are so stiff I thought I'd never straighten it out. When I attempted to contact the seller (same day), eprey responds that the seller is no longer registered. Pissed, to say the least.

I would be spitting fire .. hate that $#!t

sucks because there are plenty of good people on eBay ... just those rotten apples

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe