Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Saw a photo today of one of Aureliano's hats with the same label - even he had a hard time capturing the color.

Nailed it this morning with a different set of lights. Very subtle green, alder (ontano in italian) Mine has "pocket hat" stamped on the sweatband, as does Alan's gray one. Both came from the same hat store in Florence.

0E94CF67-5E57-4C6A-8767-6B62AB4AF6DC-50686-000005D1843FB745_zpsa8f87ddf.jpg

D5BBCE75-4FC6-484C-A3FA-F103A9B69C69-50686-000005D191C01E0F_zpsf77ebf1d.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, everyone. You're right, Robert. It really is a nice color. I need to wear mine more and stop annoying Alan about swapping Pockets with me! :eeek::p

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
I must add my praise to the color also. The light olive I crave and cannot find is grey-brown green; I've seen it in a Stetson Bantam and a Borsalino, always get outbid. I think it might also earn a 'sage' name as sagebrush is a grey-green, add a hint of brown and it becomes a light olive. Very nice looking hat.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Interesting hats, but I could never get past that mothy business. I hate moths and will not knowingly even bring an item into the house that has moth damage! That's just me......

barrowjh

One Too Many
I agree with Mr. Adams. There are a few hats in my collection that the bugs took a bite of that I bid on because the seller did not reveal (or did not know about) the damage, but only a very few. If the bugs have dined on it, I don't want it.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The moth damage is visually unappealing(if actually visible when worn), but usually the moths are long gone and precautions such as cleaning,vacuuming, sunlight, freezing or moth sprays or packets easily end the lives of any stragglers(larvae). Very early hats that are entirely free of any moth damage(same for other clothing items) barely exist.

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
If this doesn't show how meaningless any "X" designation is these days, check out a Charlie One Horse tag that says: 85% wool, 10% "fur fibers," and 5% "other fibers, yet Charlie One Horse called this a "XXX Fur Blend"??

Triple X?? seriously? Back in the old days (1920s) a triple X would have been quite a lot of beaver. Now it's 85% wool!! Wow, what a major difference.

I won't link to the ebay auction I got this tag info from because it is a live auction, but it is a light tan hat you can find on your own if you are interested.

Walt

One of the Regulars
"XXX" has been used by Stetson/Resistol and others probably since the late 70's/early 1980's to denote wool---not sure of the exact date. Prior to that Double-X "XX" was used for wool content at least till mid to late 70's. Those old "XX" are also nicer than modern XXX...

But yes, "XXX" used to mean a much better quality hat. My 50's and early 60's vintage XXX Stetsons and Resistols are fine hats.

It's been frequently discussed on this site how the number of X's go up along with the price while the quality goes downward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld