Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow!!!

:faint2: LOVELY!

The auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ope...E3Cl/iDUws8ra8xq/o0Fo70=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

What I got, after creasing and adding a pin:

bluegreystrat.jpg

It really was unworn and didn't take a whole lot of time and effort to crease because I didn't have to undo someone else's screwup. You can tell it had some creasing before but only some minor messing around that didn't affect anything. Neat blue-grey color.

Tom

Walt

One of the Regulars
That certain seller that has had some very nice hats for sure including Whippets but must have extremely high reserve amounts as even with very high bids received they don't sell has added a rather ridiculous comment to his current listings:

Dear Fence sitters/watcher. Either shiat or get off the pot, this is the last time I will last this hat till next fall if it doesn't sell.

Will be interesting if such statements make a difference!

fashion frank

One Too Many
The whole pull string got me to thinking about a grey fedora that I have that has them on inside of it and it's a good thing that I just didn't start pulling on them!

I wonder why they went thru all the trouble to do this ,was it suppose to be "ornamental " was it faux "operational or functional" , I dont think it looks attractive ,hell were are talking about what might have been in vouge years ago so it could even beall of the above, makes you wonder ???

Boy I'm learning more and more about hats from you guys every day , hell it's like getting a free eductaion at Fedora University.:D

All the Best, Fashion frank

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I figured the same thing, Terry, that it would soar into the Stratosphere. Looks like there might be a felt flaw on the top left side of the crown. Maybe that was just my excuse to keep my trigger finger in check!
So what was up with this Strat? An early 40's just like the one I bought on here earlier this year and in very good condition goes for less than half of a Whippet. If I would have known this was gonna go for under $200 I would have snapped up a second one as a spare.....and in my size even!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190762773340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I figured the same thing, Terry, that it would soar into the Stratosphere. Looks like there might be a felt flaw on the top left side of the crown. Maybe that was just my excuse to keep my trigger finger in check!

That and the fact that the guy stated that there was no liner. Of course, we would know that it didn't come with one but it may have scared off a few novices.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Stratoliner pricing is all over the place at the moment.

Large sizes going for low prices, small sizes selling for way more than in the past. Have you seen some of the BIN for 7 & 7 1/8?

Great hat if you can get one for a good deal.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Stratoliner pricing is all over the place at the moment.

Large sizes going for low prices, small sizes selling for way more than in the past. Have you seen some of the BIN for 7 & 7 1/8?

Great hat if you can get one for a good deal.

Well, I just paid $345 for a 7-1/8, and it was worth it because the hat was unworn and other than someone screwing around, was also uncreased.

Since I'm not some cheap ba***rd unwilling to pay for quality, and the hat will last me for decades, I'm fine with it.

Tom

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Tom, that is just what I mean, Stratoliners in small sizes are expensive right now compared to other Stetson models.

Alan was selling his Stetson 100 (only ever worn a couple of times) for less than $400 and a nice 7X Clear Beaver Open Road was for sale for $100. 7 & 71/8 Strats are selling for a lot more than Whippets in those sizes at the moment - maybe I need to dust mine off and get them on eBay :)

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Not all who seek bargains are "cheap bastards."

:)

Hey, I get you. Who doesn't seek a bargain? But when I see the right thing, I'm not going to cry over the price, I'm going to buy it. I wasted too much time crying over the price of some things, and then I grew a brain. I'll pay good money for durable goods, and I'll be damned if I'll pay someone, for example, ten times more to cook some food the same way I can make myself.

I see a lot of guys claiming this collectible isn't worth this or isn't worth that. Hey, old man, just shut it. Just because you're cheap doesn't mean the rest of the world is.

Tom

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Tom, that is just what I mean, Stratoliners in small sizes are expensive right now compared to other Stetson models.

Alan was selling his Stetson 100 (only ever worn a couple of times) for less than $400 and a nice 7X Clear Beaver Open Road was for sale for $100. 7 & 71/8 Strats are selling for a lot more than Whippets in those sizes at the moment - maybe I need to dust mine off and get them on eBay :)

I'm sorry I missed Alan's pink Stetson 100 when it was cheaper. He decided he wanted to keep it after all so priced it more than I wanted to pay. :)

I have a lot of 7-1/8 consigned at the local hat store (Brass Rooster) but, alas, few buyers.

Vintage is tricky, in my opinion. What you see in a picture could be great or junk. You just don't know until you put your hands on it. I'm glad this latest Strat was unmessed with; creasing a hat with the stiffener washed out is not easy.

Tom

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That's for sure, Tom. Vintage can be an adventure.

Great when it works out, frustrating when it doesn't. To be honest, I'd say I've been very happy most of the time. I have a number of vintage hats that were owned by fellow loungers which pretty much guarantees that there are no nasty surprises.

Your Stratoliner is a great looking hat!

So what was up with this Strat? An early 40's just like the one I bought on here earlier this year and in very good condition goes for less than half of a Whippet. If I would have known this was gonna go for under $200 I would have snapped up a second one as a spare.....and in my size even!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190762773340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This one is not just like yours Terry. If my crystal ball is right, this one is more recent, is missing a liner and is all around less desirable than the handsome early Strat you snagged.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Which...cheap old man are you referring to?

Any who complain that something they want costs more than they want to pay. "It's not worth that! I paid less than that 20 years ago!"

The ones I really really hate are the ones who post about M1911 pistols on a forum other than this.

I have the wrong attitude to frequent collector forums, probably.

Tom

Landman

One Too Many
I was watching that 7 1/2 Stratoliner too but didn't bid on it because it looked a little worn out in the pictures. I also think it probably should have had a liner. If it was one that didn't come with a liner it would have had the logo on the inside of the crown. I could be wrong about that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld