Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hey guys. I found this Stetson Whippet in my size on eBay. They say it's vintage....how can I tell? Stetson still makes this hat that I could get new...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintag...ltDomain_0&hash=item35bf8e1f39#ht_2917wt_1196

Thanks for any insight!

Dave

That whippet is from the early to mid 1950s. c.1952 through about c. 1957. It has a style of Stetson logo which dates it to the early 1950s or later. Stetson switched their style of liner, sweatband, and size tag in the late 1950s/early 1960s.
The new ones, while they have the same model name, are not the same hat.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I looked hard at that Three Way myself, but in the end, decided that I agree with Dinerman. Too little return on my investment. That hat has been rode hard and put away wet, it would seem.

Yikes! That old beater went for $125.49.:eusa_doh: I reckon someone liked it![huh]

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys. I found this Stetson Whippet in my size on eBay. They say it's vintage....how can I tell? Stetson still makes this hat that I could get new...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintag...ltDomain_0&hash=item35bf8e1f39#ht_2917wt_1196

Thanks for any insight!

Dave

Like Dinerman says, this is a 50's Whippet.

If you can buy it for a good price, it would be a pretty good hat. I'd expect this to sell for $300 - maybe more - these hats have been quite expensive for a while.

Have you check out the Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner thread? There is a ton of great info there on how the liner logo design has changed over the years and this will help you with dating hats you find on eBay and elsewhere. There is another thread on dating by size tag.

It is always better to be able to do some research yourself, rather than posting questions about active auctions here. If there is a nice hat being sold at a good price, other Lounge members are often the last people you want to let know about it, you don't want to turn that eBay Victory into a defeat :)

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Like Dinerman says, this is a 50's Whippet.

If you can buy it for a good price, it would be a pretty good hat. I'd expect this to sell for $300 - maybe more - these hats have been quite expensive for a while.

Have you check out the Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner thread? There is a ton of great info there on how the liner logo design has changed over the years and this will help you with dating hats you find on eBay and elsewhere. There is another thread on dating by size tag.

It is always better to be able to do some research yourself, rather than posting questions about active auctions here. If there is a nice hat being sold at a good price, other Lounge members are often the last people you want to let know about it, you don't want to turn that eBay Victory into a defeat :)

Very good advice David, I only post links to hats that don't fit me :)

Ande1964

Practically Family
Agreed. I sold mine (same color, made in 1950) on ebay a few months back for just under five bills. It was a long oval, which makes it more valuable, but it also had a minor condition issue.

Tempted to buy the damn thing myself, as an investment. Seems like bad karma, though.

Anj

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
It doesn't have the open road name embossed on the sweatband but it is the open road style. Anyone know if Stetson put the hat name anywhere else on the hat?

Mark, you indeed paid a reasonable price for that one. The Stetson 25 I'm wearing today is an Open Road, however, some of the other styles may or may not state what they are on the sweat. Nonetheless, you got a very nice hat for a nice price. I'm expecting my third 25 in the next week or so.

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Thanks Hatophile. This is my second one. The first one is from the 60's so I'm looking forward to comparing the quality. I believe this new one should be super sweet from what I have read about them here on the lounge. And I scored the original box with this one.
Mark, you indeed paid a reasonable price for that one. The Stetson 25 I'm wearing today is an Open Road, however, some of the other styles may or may not state what they are on the sweat. Nonetheless, you got a very nice hat for a nice price. I'm expecting my third 25 in the next week or so.

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Thanks again hatophile................Being a USF grad you are probably familiar with Ybor City. Still a fun place to go. I was at UF about 32 years ago, same era, but my son graduated from USF so that makes me an alum by relation. Nice to meet you.
You've picked up some nice examples of Stetsons Mark.
By the way my old "stompin grounds" are in Tampa, attended USF in the Pleistocene Era, about 32 years ago.

Great win... and one of the best auction typos I've seen in lately. See how it looks when it arrives. In less severe lighting, the moth tracks might not bother you. I've used the point of a needle to release the felt nap at the nips, which can lessen the visibility of certain moth damage. The coarser the felt finish, the easier it is to work on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe