Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
May I rant, just for a second? I've been scouring e-bay for hats for a while now. On what planet can any "Indiana Jones" brand product be described as "vintage"? Anyway, today for the first time I seached for caps. I found many of these;

ry%3D480
ry%3D480

They're Pendleton flatcaps. I've got half a dozen of these that I bought while I was in college. Based on the pictures of the insides of the caps on e-bay, they are mostly the same age as mine. Which again, brings me to the reason for my rant; how can something I bought brand new in the late '70s be considered "vintage"?

In the words of Senor Montoya; "Joo use that word a lot. I don theen it means what you theen it means..........."

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Lieutenant, I can understand your annoyance! Please accept my apologies, as the following photo is from a non-Ebay auction, but you just set it up too nicely...

ilfullxfullcopy.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
today i received this stephen l. Stetson "famous ten".
img_4940.jpg

beautiful soft brown felt and a cavanagh edge. Too bad it's not 22" as advertised in the auction. Instead it's a 7 3/8 and not a 7. There's even the original size tag inside. No idea why the seller didn't mention it. What a bummer.

That's too bad. It's a beautiful hat. I have a feeling your inbox will be ringing.

Oh well ... These things do happen. We have all been there. Hopefully, you can get a refund (or flip it without incurring loss).

pm sent!

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
ry%3D480
ry%3D480

They're Pendleton flatcaps. I've got half a dozen of these that I bought while I was in college. Based on the pictures of the insides of the caps on e-bay, they are mostly the same age as mine. Which again, brings me to the reason for my rant; how can something I bought brand new in the late '70s be considered "vintage"?

Vintage or not, you wear those caps very well Lt. Tom!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Bowlerman, I saw that one and since it was waaayyy too big for me I haven't thought about it much, but it is the only example of a wide-ribbon OR I have ever seen. I don't see anything to clearly indicate that it was not original, though. Customer walks in and says I want that hat (points), but I want that ribbon on it (points to different hat) - the sales rep says, well, that will cost few extra dollars, but I can have it here that way in x weeks. Or, it was purchased from a retailer that was also a full-service hatter and the change was made in-store, or, as you suggest, the change was made by someone at a later date - probably 60 years have passed since that one was made. I don't have a basis for any strong guess.

Last edited:
My guess is mid-1960s or later. This thread has some good info and pictures, including some of a Stetson 150 that Dinerman owned. Perhaps a Stetson 100 after the production costs could no longer support a $100 retail price?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Without posting a live auction link, I am amused by the description "wooly beaver felt" if only because it conjures the image of a giant tusked beaver wreaking havoc on the ice age in my imagination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld