Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Me too. The size was kind of sketchy but, for $26, it would be on its way to me.

I'm only against the offer to end when I'm not the one who benefited from the bargain. As long as ebay makes it possible (I know it's against the rules), it's all part of the game.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Am I the only one thats sick of buyers making side offers and sellers accepting them?

B

Me too. The size was kind of sketchy but, for $26, it would be on its way to me.

I'm only against the offer to end when I'm not the one who benefited from the bargain. As long as ebay makes it possible (I know it's against the rules), it's all part of the game.

Actually, it's not against the rules, as long as there are no bids. The Seller is permitted to change to a BIN if there are no bids, not if there is one (I know, that doesn't always stop them, I've been frustrated before in watches with the dreaded "the Seller ended the auction because the item is no longer available for sale").

If there are no bids, I've been known to make an offer. Never been successful though. Maybe it's a good thing, the Strat I recently bought, the Seller declined to hear an offer, and my offer would have been more than I eventually paid. Same thing happened to me a bit over a year ago on a 1905 Gillette Double Ring safety razor.

Last edited:

red71veloce

Familiar Face
The seller can end the auction even after there has been bidding. You can't make it a BIN after a bid has been made unless you end the auction and re-list. Or end the auction and sell it off eBay for the price you negotiated...either way, not illegal. Irritating? Yeah, unless you are the beneficiary that is. Part of eBay these days.

T

fmw

One Too Many
Ebay is a paid public advertising venue. The users should be able to use it as they see fit. If you want to make offers to sellers, do so. Don't complain that others do it. Nobody owes you a bargain.

scooter

Practically Family
T Rick, I recently acquired 2 hats under the circumstances you describe. Before there were bids, I contacted the seller and asked to buy the hats outright. He refused and insisted the auction continue. Bad idea, I ended up getting both, for little more than what I considered paying outright for one of them. Bummer for him, lucky for me!

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought a Borsalino Straw for 50. and she didnt even know that it was straw. ended up selling for 145.,but on hindsight should have held on to it as they are rarer than a three dollar bill.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You and Brad should get together. You wouldn't be quite the same, but equally fun.

___________-
Killer Borso of questionable size.
131_5909.jpg

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Its probably nutria or something like that. The size though seems consistent if its a US 6 1/2 and there was shrinkage over the years.

Otherwise it looks like a great hat. I was looking at it but wrong color for me.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I was watching that one also; was the initial bidder, but it is difficult to justify spending big when you cannot get a fix on the size, so had to let that one go. I tried several times to get a translation of 'Martora' and 'Peluso' but never got anything on the free translator sites.

The yellowed oilskin tip is a certain marker that it predates the mid-1950s - whomever won that hat will be well pleased with the felt. The sweatband appears to be reeded, so I suspect it is 1940s - early 1950s, and the felt should be nice, and potentially worth buying it for the felt and then having it completely refurbished if you are not happy with the style of the hat, though I can't see any particular reason to not like that hat.

Last edited:

red71veloce

Familiar Face
When I google imaged "martora" it consistently brought up images of "martens". These are fairly common members of the family mustelidae....minks, otters, ermine, badgers, etc.. Since hat manufacturers didn't seem to mind advertising "nutria" hats, I would think this must have marten fur content.....unless it was in some way an advertising advantage.......interesting!

T

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my experience with Spanish pelusa would mean fluff or lint.
In a phrase:"despues de que sece mis pantalones en el secador se estaban cubiertos de pelusa" ("after I dried my pants in the dryer they were covered in lint")

A lint hat would be interesting...

On further thought in this context it probably means fluffy.

www.wordreference.com

Martora / marten

Peluso? Hmm, peludo means hairy in Spanish.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe