Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Movie hat or not, someone got a deal on this one.
2acf_1.JPG

2e93_1.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The movie is just OK and Art's thin ribbon is the only noteworthy hat in it.
For under $40, whether you need it or not, that's a good purchase. You could easily resell it here if you ever changed your mind. :eusa_clap

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
HatDoc said:
Tom,

Great buy. I was bidding on it, but bailed out at the end......just didn't need another gray hat, even if it does have a two-tone ribbon. ;)

Post some close-ups of that ribbon treatment when you get it. I've never seen one like it.

Randy

Hat Doc, Here are the pictures that you requested on that two toned ribbon hat that I won on Ebay. It just arrived yesterday and I am so glad I decided to after this one.
DSCF2872_2.jpg

DSCF2873_3.jpg

DSCF2874_2.jpg

DSCF2883_2.jpg

DSCF2879_2.jpg

DSCF2880_2.jpg

DSCF2881_2.jpg

Hats are like potato chips, You just can't have one! :eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm adding that one to my favorites of 2008. The stitching on the edge, the ribbon, and just the overall style of that hat is wonderful.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Royal Stetson! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lefty, You are correct, sir. Someone got a deal on that Borsalino.

Earlier this evening:

143b_3.JPG
1fe9_3.JPG

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I've bid unsuccessfully on several Ebay hats and continue to be frustrated by last minute snipes. Other than staying up until midnight at the keyboard, what do you suggest?

panama jack

One of the Regulars
I bid on the brown Stetson 3X the first time it was up for sale on e-bay a few weeks ago and lost it in the last few seconds by $2.50. That time the hat went for approx. $113.05. The buyer returned it because it was too big. I can't believe it sold for $215.13 yesterday. I wasn't willing to go that high this time.

pj

jec

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Why not use a snipe program yourself?

In my experience, this is the only sane way to win EBay auctions. Snipe or be sniped! And with a snipe program, it is all automatic. I am so relieved now that I don't have to sit in front of my screen at all hours, carefully watching the clock tick and continually refreshing the screen - then to click my mouse at exactly the precise time, and still get sniped in the final moments of an auction.

vjramire

New in Town
WOH! What made this Stetson 3x so valuable that it would go for 2bills when a ton of them go for around $20-50 all day on the Bay? Sorry for the newbie question.
Vince

kaosharper1

One Too Many
vjramire said:
WOH! What made this Stetson 3x so valuable that it would go for 2bills when a ton of them go for around $20-50 all day on the Bay? Sorry for the newbie question.
Vince

Its an older (pre-1960s) Stetson in a large size, 7 1/2. The older stetsons like most vintage hats had better felt and in general were better made. But the hats that have survived are usually size 7 or less. A large size vintage stetson, or any quality large sized vintage hat gets a premium because we evidently have bigger heads on average then they used to. Supply and demand, and the demand is for larger vintage hats that are in short supply.

To give you an example, I bought my daughter a vintage Borsalino for $20. But she has a 21" head, so she could wear a 6 3/4 that had shrunk. I recently bought a similar hat in 7 1/4 (though it seems to fit like a 7 3/8) for $100 through buy-it-now though it probably would have gone for 1.5 to 2.0 times that if it went to open auction.

Of course condition, etc pay a large role as well. Some models are rarer than others as well as colors.

RBH

Bartender
kaosharper1 said:
Its an older (pre-1960s) Stetson in a large size, 7 1/2. The older stetsons like most vintage hats had better felt and in general were better made. But the hats that have survived are usually size 7 or less. A large size vintage stetson, or any quality large sized vintage hat gets a premium because we evidently have bigger heads on average then they used to. Supply and demand, and the demand is for larger vintage hats that are in short supply.

To give you an example, I bought my daughter a vintage Borsalino for $20. But she has a 21" head, so she could wear a 6 3/4 that had shrunk. I recently bought a similar hat in 7 1/4 (though it seems to fit like a 7 3/8) for $100 through buy-it-now though it probably would have gone for 1.5 to 2.0 times that if it went to open auction.

Of course condition, etc pay a large role as well. Some models are rarer than others as well as colors.
Very well said Kao, the 7 1\2 go for so much more.

Inusuit said:
I've bid unsuccessfully on several Ebay hats and continue to be frustrated by last minute snipes. Other than staying up until midnight at the keyboard, what do you suggest?
I figure out what I will pay, put that in as my maximum bid & if I win, so be it. If I don't, I keep looking. If you get caught up in winning then you are feeding the beast. IMHO.... gtd

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Inusuit said:

I had a real hair up my butt about snipe programs myself but I agree with GTDean 48, bid what you are willing to pay and walk away. Thrill of the hunt or thrill of the kill high bid gets it. Bidding battles are great for the seller and ebay newbies can get caught up in the bidding like a retiree at the nickle slots. You only think you lost by a couple bucks but the winner may have been willing to go way beyond that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe