Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Randooch had this one right on the money... this Borso was never worn because the brim was too wide, so someone fixed it good, but not well. I don't mind the 1 3/4" brim length, but it is going to take some heavy work with sandpaper to deal with the lumpy trim job. Liner protector is oil cloth, not tissue paper.

cutborso4.jpg

That one is simply DARLIN :eusa_clap Wanna see how you FIX THAT one :eusa_doh:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I can't help but wonder if the seller may have "forgotten" to mention in the description that he had trimmed the hat himself.

Justin B

One Too Many
Was on the 'bay all day today. Boss was out of the office, lol. Didn't buy a single hat though. Did get a nice vintage suit and some shoes though.

Thanks for the notes of commiseration. I will play with it a little and chalk it up to good try. Zetwal, I did write to the seller... I would not be surprised if your guess is correct.

In any event, I have been very lucky on most of my gambits. No worries on missing the target now and again! The Borsalino box is nice,,, 8^D

T Rick

Practically Family
Whippet itch scratched. Sort of...

Well, it seems I've turned a corner down an unexpected road. Never being big on restorations, with the Stratoliner and Open Road I received yesterday that need reworking, I've now gone and bought a Whippet that also needs substantial work. I went after it mainly because of the (perceived anyway) cool color of the edge binding and the larger brim size (seems a lot of Whippets listed are only 2 1/2 inch). I want to see how bad it is, maybe I can get by with just a good steaming and brushing, with the use of a Hat Shaper (ordering later today) for the reblocking?

If I do get off that easily, it will have been a bargain indeed! If not, the Pro's are fairly reasonable from what I've seen.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Champagne taste with beer money... seller clearly hops the barley makes it rare.

One of my least favorite ebay moments is when you open the link for a black wool top hat and it is a black wool top hat.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Well, it seems I've turned a corner down an unexpected road. Never being big on restorations, with the Stratoliner and Open Road I received yesterday that need reworking, I've now gone and bought a Whippet that also needs substantial work.

I was watching that one, too. I decided to let it pass for only two reasons. Number one and most important it's too big for me (I was just thinking of getting it on speculation), and #2 I already have a Whippet that color, anyway. I am glad you got it and at that price it was worth it, I think. I don't think it's in as bad shape as the seller thinks it is.

T Rick

Practically Family
I was watching that one, too. I decided to let it pass for only two reasons. Number one and most important it's too big for me (I was just thinking of getting it on speculation), and #2 I already have a Whippet that color, anyway. I am glad you got it and at that price it was worth it, I think. I don't think it's in as bad shape as the seller thinks it is.
Thanks, I hope you're right on the condition, I was thinking the same thing.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think the Whippet will prove to be a really nice hat. Looks just a little crumpled and dirty, otherwise in nice condition. I bet when you give it a steaming and brushing it will be fine.

Nice of the seller to leave out the W word in the description. Saved you a few $$$'s!!

This one looks to have real possibilities T Rick. Nice age and seems to have the early forties style soft sweatband. I think you've snagged a winner here.

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks guys! You've buoyed my confidence in this one even more. David, you're right, and funny that I didn't even notice that (saved about $100 that way on my brown Stratoliner, and DID notice it that time). This one actually popped up to my attention when I was looking at another hat maybe 2-3 days ago. One of those "suggestions" eBay places when you're already looking at another. Love those!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
T Rick; Congrats sir. Your hatting experience that you have shared on the forum has grown by leaps this past year. You have some fine models sir. My hat tips in your direction as you also wear them.

I admit I have taken a lesson from the sage hatted folks on this forum as to passion for restoration of the aged hats. First it takes the recognision that the older hats have features not found with the newer hats. Boy has this hit home for me! It has been my experience with a couple of re-work projects(Strat and Whippet) that the hats came out well. Exceeded expectations. Not only did they come out well, but I find myself wearing them proudly. Proud to wear them often puts them frequently in rotation to be worn. When folks comment about them I have, on occasion, shared the vintage and restoration legacy that they have. Earned patina does not necessarily mean worn, or whooped. This is certainly my personal experience, but I have come to enjoy the restored hats I have worked with even more than many "new" hats.

Best wishes, Eric -

I picked up this 1950s size 59cm dark gray Mayser for $17.00 including shipping. It went low because of the the rumpled appearance but a good steaming will fix that. The felt finish, liner and sweatband appear to be in good condition. The after shots should be interesting. :)

6107774416_1e3b4fa542_b.jpg

6107227743_53ddbebeed_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe