Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Think I did pretty well on this St. Regis that arrived two days ago (no pics yet). Actually looks better than this, came with a center dent and light side pinces, he took it to open crown for the auction pics. Seems to be in great shape, unfortunately just a bit snug even though it's my size. I'll just try a very mild steam and stretch, if no joy it'll either be relegated to "collection" status, or a "catch and release" program. Doubt I'll wear a Homburg much anyway, but I've wanted to have one.

Snagged this decent looking unlined Adam today for a nice BIN. Hope it fits! Not sure of the color, looks to be maybe an olive/brown. Hoping it tends more towards olive (lots of brown hats, only the Camp Draft in green so far).

TRiick,
All your links go back to a black Stetson curled brim WESTERN hat not the Adams or St. Regis you refer to :)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Think I did pretty well on this St. Regis that arrived two days ago (no pics yet). Actually looks better than this, came with a center dent and light side pinces, he took it to open crown for the auction pics. Seems to be in great shape, unfortunately just a bit snug even though it's my size. I'll just try a very mild steam and stretch, if no joy it'll either be relegated to "collection" status, or a "catch and release" program. Doubt I'll wear a Homburg much anyway, but I've wanted to have one.

Snagged this decent looking unlined Adam today for a nice BIN. Hope it fits! Not sure of the color, looks to be maybe an olive/brown. Hoping it tends more towards olive (lots of brown hats, only the Camp Draft in green so far).

oooh- did you buy that green looking one with the reddish/rust looking ribbon? Please post pics when you get it. I'll be anxious to see how it turns out. Again, I am trying so hard to not bid on anything these days, but I did take a second glance at that one.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fella's got a reserve on all of his hats. And he asks a minimum of $45 to ship to Germany. Gives me plenty of second thoughts, honestly...

Mario, he was a member here a while ago. Got himself banned. Seems to be selling off all his hat related stuff.

B

T Rick

Practically Family
TRiick,
All your links go back to a black Stetson curled brim WESTERN hat not the Adams or St. Regis you refer to :)
Thank you SIR! Normally, I check the links once my post comes up. This would be why... The Sheridan was a (perhaps not great) recommendation for the fellow in the Big. Black. Hat. Thread.

I've edited in the correct links.

oooh- did you buy that green looking one with the reddish/rust looking ribbon? Please post pics when you get it. I'll be anxious to see how it turns out. Again, I am trying so hard to not bid on anything these days, but I did take a second glance at that one.

Yep, this Adam. Looks decent. Also trying to cut way back, but I'm a bargain hunter by nature, and these both appeared to be such to me. Here's a link to the St. Regis.

I've also just scored another vintage Stetson, this one the size is questionable (like one Neophyte has coming I see). Listed as having an opening size of 8x6.5, but then in Q&A it states circumference is 21. I'm going with the elliptical and hoping for the best. Otherwise, I'll be looking for someone with a smallish head to pass it on to!

HatsEnough

Banned
Well, I got creamed today. I bought a nice 1860s to 1880s top hat off The Bay. It had a few issues. In the photo you could see that the top, side of the hat had a small dent in it. But it looked fairly good and the seller said it was in great shape. Then it got here and was totally smashed. Three long rips in the sides, interior totally ruined, leather sweatband completely dislocated from the hat. Just ruined. In fact, the box wasn't really even big enough for the hat. The hat juuuust fit in the box which left it susceptible to pushes and smashes. There's $150 down the tubes. Worse, it came over a week late. I hate it when that happens.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I got creamed today. I bought a nice 1860s to 1880s top hat off The Bay. It had a few issues. In the photo you could see that the top, side of the hat had a small dent in it. But it looked fairly good and the seller said it was in great shape. Then it got here and was totally smashed. Three long rips in the sides, interior totally ruined, leather sweatband completely dislocated from the hat. Just ruined. In fact, the box wasn't really even big enough for the hat. The hat juuuust fit in the box which left it susceptible to pushes and smashes. There's $150 down the tubes. Worse, it came over a week late. I hate it when that happens.

Isn't the seller responsible for the item to reach the buyer in good shape?

T Rick

Practically Family
Bummer about the historic hat being destroyed by the Seller's ignorance/negligence, but at least you should be out no more than return shipping. File with eBay, their Buyer Protection (automatically comes with all purchases now) has been great. They guaranty your item to arrive as described, and will refund your original purchase price plus shipping if not able to work a resolution (they will pressure the Seller to refund you, but if that is not successful they will refund you themselves). I've used this in 4 or 5 cases over the last year or two (three were with Sellers that were removed by eBay directly after my purchase).

HatsEnough

Banned
Well, I wish I had taken pictures of it when it got here. I don't know why that never occurred to me. Ah, well, I can still make use of the thing with some effort. I intended to use it for a specific purpose and I still might be able to do so.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was bidding HARD on that Resistol, but there came a point around the $50 mark at which I was no longer willing to pay more for a sub-2'' brim. Oh well. Anyone here get it? I'd love to see that hat with a crease!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
First hat in ages

After the initial feeding frenzy (common phenomenon around here, eh?) my hat purchases have become few and far between (not just that - I've actually sold off about half of my collection). The last one must have been a few month ago (that German velour from the 20's/30's I bought from RobStC). Well, here's my latest addition, a 1930's featherweight La Salle Champ in brown, sporting a pug in place of the usual grosgrain ribbon. Can't wait to see it in person. Will keep you updated... :D

$%28KGrHqR,%21iIE4rFKI%29kQBOPGpt7%29Gw%7E%7E0_12.JPG

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
After the initial feeding frenzy (common phenomenon around here, eh?) my hat purchases have become few and far between (not just that - I've actually sold off about half of my collection). The last one must have been a few month ago (that German velour from the 20's/30's I bought from RobStC). Well, here's my latest addition, a 1930's featherweight La Salle Champ in brown, sporting a pug in place of the usual grosgrain ribbon. Can't wait to see it in person. Will keep you updated... :D

$%28KGrHqR,%21iIE4rFKI%29kQBOPGpt7%29Gw%7E%7E0_12.JPG

Looks familiar....;)

I bought that hat in a vintage clothing store in Chicago. I sold it on ebay about 2 months ago to "The Colonel" and he decided to post it back on ebay. Your going to love the felt. Its so smooth and soft and EXTREMELY lightweight. I hope he didn't steam the hell out of the sweatband because it was still pretty nice when I had it. Its a very early Champ back when Champ was still owned by LaSalle. Its pretty rare. I figured it dates to about 1939 or 1940 based on the Champ Logo. This hat is the model that came before the "Featherweight." Because this hat has the Boxer logo and went with the boxing theme, they named it "The Lightweight." Your going to love it.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Heh...I somehow suspected the hat to have come that route. Well, not necessarily via you but the Lounge in general. In a way that whole hat business is...well, beg yer pardon...a somewhat incestious affair... ;)

You're of course right about the Light- vs. Featherweight. The description also said Lightweight. My fingers were once again quicker than my poor coffee-addled brain...

Er...what did you say why you feeded the hat back into the market?

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Er...what did you say why you feeded the hat back into the market?

Oh theres nothing wrong with the hat. I actually sold off quite a few hats of mine this summer because I realized that I wanted to have a couple hats that I wear regularly in a rotation and the rest are fairly early hats that have tall straight crowns that are in my permanent collection. This LaSalle doesn't have a tapered crown, its just not as tall and square as I like. The 2 1/4 inch brim is really nice though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82