Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

T Rick

Practically Family
A last-second defeat caused by my iPhone trying to revert to mobile format.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...124533&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT#ht_2464wt_922
Eh-hem... is this thing on? ;) Let me try this one more time. AUCTION SNIPER (dot com). Seriously Dude!

Here's the thing. It was down once (over a year ago) and cost me a great vintage Gillette Safety Razor that I'd surely have won with the snipe I had set. It happens. It's not perfect. But I've fallen asleep and missed an auction. I've gotten distracted on other sites and missed an auction. I've gotten home later than expected and missed an auction. But Auction Sniper has NEVER cost me a win for any of these. The cost is 1% of auction wins, and wins only (there is a minimum twenty five cent charge, so it'll cost you a quarter up to a $25 win, and a straight 1% if more). And I've never had ANY security issues with them having my login information (yes, I suppose it could happen, but they only have eBay account info, not PayPal- no access to financial accounts, other than the automatic payment to them for their fees for auctions won).

Just somethin' to think about... (no, I don't have any ties there- I just enjoy spreading the feeling of success on eBay I've gotten by approximately doubling my win/loss ratio).

$144 Whippet. This one is a 50s version with the shorter 2-1/2 brim.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true

Looks like size 7 and size 7-1/8 Whippets are holding at under $150. I've seen about 5 of them over the last few months and they've all gone under $150 for the smaller sizes. I've seen them under $100 for the 6-7/8 sizes.

Well, I was third on this one. No biggie, but the one that frustrated me was the one from a few days ago (and a few days before that!). It was a relist. Didn't reach the reserve either time, even though the ends were similar, and the Seller claimed to have lowered the reserve the second time.

I was high bidder both times. And my max wasn't reached either time. Wonder where the reserve was?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you. I have sniped and know that it's generally going to be more effective, but I love the heart-pounding moments of the last 5 seconds.

...but the one that frustrated me was the one from a few days ago (and a few days before that!). It was a relist. Didn't reach the reserve either time, even though the ends were similar, and the Seller claimed to have lowered the reserve the second time.

I was high bidder both times. And my max wasn't reached either time. Wonder where the reserve was?

The mysterious Colonelwth.

shhhhhhhh

T Rick

Practically Family
I'm with you. I have sniped and know that it's generally going to be more effective, but I love the heart-pounding moments of the last 5 seconds.
Understood, and I still have an appreciation for that. I just like to use available tools to multiply my time/success when I need to (I simply don't always have the time to be there for the ones I consider "important").

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe