Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
My second Mallory (sold the first one, an Open Road styled in gray)...

5351791189_cbcbea933d.jpg

5352401510_2c881aca50.jpg

5351791351_e10d54f779.jpg

5351791307_77e3d3cdf4.jpg

5352401548_703bba4aeb.jpg

Seems to me to be a 1940s era Mallory. Anyone agree?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure I can often guess the difference between a 1940s hat and a 1950s hat, by the looks of it. I'm not one to follow the heiroglyphics on the inside rim. I would like to get better at judging decades of hat manufacture by their style and appearance though.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure I can often guess the difference between a 1940s hat and a 1950s hat, by the looks of it. I'm not one to follow the heiroglyphics on the inside rim. I would like to get better at judging decades of hat manufacture by their style and appearance though.
This is not possible. A full range of changing dimensions and styles were offered--particularly in the 30's and 50's. Anyone who thinks they can reliably date hats that are not of a particularly unusual short-lived style by their exteriors is kidding themselves or too uninformed to know better. Look at any crowd scene photo or catalog of offerings by a manufacturer.

The styles pictured for movie characters do not necessarily represent the entire hat-wearing public at any time as they are part of a projection of character.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This is not possible. A full range of changing dimensions and styles were offered--particularly in the 30's and 50's. Anyone who thinks they can reliably date hats that are not of a particularly unusual short-lived style by their exteriors is kidding themselves or too uninformed to know better. Look at any crowd scene photo or catalog of offerings by a manufacturer.

The styles pictured for movie characters do not necessarily represent the entire hat-wearing public at any time as they are part of a projection of character.

Totally agree, rlk. In addition, attempting to date hats based on styles seen in photos or movies from a particular year isn't really reliable, since the hats that are pictured may actually date from years earlier.

Cheers,
JtL

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Blotter Card advertising Stetson Whippet

In a nice crossover between my collection and wearing of vintage hats and collecting and using vintage fountain pens, I purchased this ink blotter card off of Ebay:

!CBjh7TwCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!hYE0fhM!K34BNINDni+Tg~~0_3.JPG

Although I generally purchase vintage items to actually use, this one may be an exception. I may just add it to my small collection of Stetson paraphernalia.

Cheers,
Tom

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I watched those two, as well, Billy. I bid on the first one in your photos, but only half-heartedly. I was second place on the bidding, even so. I didn't bid a second time once outbid.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I watched those two, as well, Billy. I bid on the first one in your photos, but only half-heartedly. I was second place on the bidding, even so. I didn't bid a second time once outbid.

I like that Adam, quite a bit. But it is being outbid on most hats that keeps my money safe. I am usually happy for those that outbid me, although I'm sad to lose the good hats.

T Rick

Practically Family

That's a really cool bit of history you got there!

Thanks for the links too, not sure I'd seen that episode of Tales of Wells Fargo. That one is from '57 (noted when I looked up the work of Dan Blocker, Bonanza's Hoss, who played one of the new trainees in that episode, and re-reading, I see you already mentioned it being from '57). Mr. Powers (the ramrod/firearms instructor etc.) needs to learn a thing or two about muzzle discipline... ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael