Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The $40 Knox Tom&Jerry. (edit: dhermann posted about this one above, but here's the photo.)
knox1-1.jpg

The Scarecrow's Cavanagh Boater didn't sell.
3c01_1.JPG

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
The $40 Knox Tom&Jerry. (edit: dhermann posted about this one above, but here's the photo.)
knox1-1.jpg

I got complacent and walked away for the last few minutes. I didn't want to get sucked into a bidding war. But now that I look at that close up, I'm kicking myself. Was it won by a Lounger? That would be (sort of) a consolation.
Edward: As Edye Gorme might say, "Blame it on the Bossalino, that hat of love." Looks pretty nice. It's interesting, the description says you could wear it to a party, or for a theatrical production. God forbid anyone should even imagine wearing it for every day real life use!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't recognize the handle, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was purchased by a lurker. There's been a bit of discussion about these, with the recent unfortunate burning incident. Discussion here always fuels demand, though the price on that one was still quite low. (Sorry to turn the screw.)

Edward

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Edward: As Edye Gorme might say, "Blame it on the Bossalino, that hat of love." Looks pretty nice. It's interesting, the description says you could wear it to a party, or for a theatrical production. God forbid anyone should even imagine wearing it for every day real life use!

lol Yes.... that dosn't seem to strike so many sellers as a realistic option. Still, it helps keep the price down.... I know it wasn't a complete steal, but as far as I am aware I didn't pay near the top-dollar figure for a vintage Borso either. Nice colour too - I think it will look really sharp with a navy pinstripe suit, for an alternative to the blacks and greys.

:eek:ftopic: but in the same train of thought.... on Friday, one of my undergraduate students commented on my look (late 60s bespoke suit, cut to a late 30s / early 40s style, Burberry trenchcoat, Akubra Federation, 40s tie...). Genuinely liked it, and seemed rally surprised I dress like that all the time - commented to the effect that he thought it looked great, but didn't think that folks would get it. I explained the secret is not to care. ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
If you didn't have a clear beaver in your stable yet, you're going to be amazed. It looks like it needs a little cleaning, but for felt quality, I'd take a dirty c.b. over any other hat (except the ermine ;)) . :eusa_clap

I have a Clear Beaver 5X Stetson with a 3" brim, 5" crown (to the crease), and 2 1/4" reeded sweatband. There is a Hat Industry Code Authority tag under the sweat with the number sequence 484367. The tags affixed to the body below the sewn-in liner are 1) number sequence 63566900and Size 7 1/2, Block 52, Depth 6, Finish (illegible) and [probably] a QC inspector's name that I can't quite make out. There is no model name but it looks like a silverbelly OR clone. Originally sold by Harry Holland, Amarillo, Texas. The felt is like buttah!

I know, worthlesswithoutpics. [huh]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I forgot that you won that fantastic hat. Now I'm really interested to find out whether there are any noticeable differences between the older 5x and newer 7x c.b.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'll try to do some side-by-side photos of the two when I receive the OR and get it cleaned-up.

I also need to do some photos for the bowler thread. I have a Stetson Standard Quality that was sold by Young's New York, a Stetson Made of Real Nutria Fur that was sold at the 1224 Chestnut St. location in Philadelphia, A Knapp-Felt that was sold by Steiger's, the Men's Shop, an Adams, a Knox, and at least one other.

Time to get off the lounge and back to photography! [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
It pays to look at the sad little photos.

Thanks, Lefty, Rusty, CJ...if the seller hadn't posted a sideways picture of the Clear Beaver Quality stamping, I'd have passed. The seller didn't seem to think much of it. [huh] :)

tortswon

Practically Family
MacLachlan Homburg

Just picked up my first Homburg for $28.00 Notwithstanding the color in some of the photos, it is gray with a black ribbon. Best, Sam

184181779_tp.jpg

184181614_tp.jpg

184181703_tp.jpg

184182216_tp.jpg

184182288_tp.jpg

184181955_tp.jpg

184182036_tp.jpg

184181873_tp.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Just picked up this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&
ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250309324113
I'll clean it up and hope it fits...then it should make a great beater...:D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice scores Sam and Jack. I was watching both of those and am impressed by the deals both of you got. :eusa_clap

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Running up the Price!!

I was in the hunt driving the prices up on Sam & Jack's wins. But not much since I'm broke (wife pays the bills & paid for my birthday hat). The only consolation I get with ebay is "making someone pay more" since I usually don't win. But it's OK when another Lounger wins, since I know it's going to a good home and usually not for speculation.

Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe