Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
Like I said, I know nothing about clocks and am (but quickly becoming was) under the impression that battery powered means a quartz movement. As far as I know, there's mechanical or quartz.

Oh, we definately had battery powered clocks long before the quartz movements became available. The duration of a minute varied according to how new the battery was. The electric clocks that ran from AC weren't a whole lot better. If you really wanted to know what time it was you'd pick up the phone and dial the "time" number. "At the tone the time will be..."

BTW, the AA dry cell was standardized in 1947.

Feraud

Bartender
BanjoMerlin said:
Resistol I wasn't expecting to win.
Classic styling. The auction doesn't mention brim length or crown height but the appearance reminds me of a Penny's Marathon I own. The overall shape looks great. I like the bound brim and moderate width ribbon too.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BanjoMerlin said:
Oh, we definately had battery powered clocks long before the quartz movements became available. The duration of a minute varied according to how new the battery was. The electric clocks that ran from AC weren't a whole lot better. If you really wanted to know what time it was you'd pick up the phone and dial the "time" number. "At the tone the time will be..."

BTW, the AA dry cell was standardized in 1947.

Thanks for that info, BanjoMerlin. So, perhaps that clock has been around for a while, after all. ;)

And I have to smile, remembering back to the days of calling the "time" number. Man, hadn't thought of that in years. But you're absolutely right. In fact, now that I think about it, I think the number in our area was TI6-1212! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Glad to hear it. I hated to think that it was a newer clock made to look old.

I dialed GR1 1111 for time and WE1 1111 for weather as a kid. I should try them now, just to see if they're working numbers.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
another Stetson topper goes unsold
stets2.JPG
stets3.JPG

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I dialed GR1 1111 for time and WE1 1111 for weather as a kid. I should try them now, just to see if they're working numbers.

Sure enough -- I remember calling in to the weather number, as well (WE6-1212). What a flashback!

Cheers,
JtL

thebroker

One of the Regulars
My "Homburg"

A few weeks ago, somebody posted my very first eBay hat here after the auction...that motivated me to join in instead of continuing to lurk like I had been doing for months! I mentioned I was going to send it off for some work when it got here, and UPS dropped it off this morning. It isn't exactly a Homburg, although it looks like one. I've since learned it is a western style hat made by Stetson at some point, although I can't pinpoint its exact age. At any rate, thank you to Drew at Clean A Hat, who did a fantastic job putting on a new ribbon and reshaping it to make it more Homburg-esque. It came much cleaner than I expected for such a light hat, too. It turned out to be a GREAT eBay find.

Before:
GrayHomburgBefore.jpg

After:
GrayHomburg.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
This evening's haul from the 'Bay...

HS-1.jpg

HS-2.jpg

Wow, Man. I've been watching that type of stretcher for quite a while, but generally they've gone for more than I was willing to pay.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Wow, Man. I've been watching that type of stretcher for quite a while, but generally they've gone for more than I was willing to pay.

What DID that sell for in the end?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Warning to all 7-1/4 fedoras out there: JTL's after YOU now!... lol

lol lol lol

Nope -- the 7 1/4's are safe. :D The most I ever want to do is simply gently stretch a hat back up to size. :)

thebroker said:
A few weeks ago, somebody posted my very first eBay hat here after the auction...that motivated me to join in instead of continuing to lurk like I had been doing for months! I mentioned I was going to send it off for some work when it got here, and UPS dropped it off this morning. It isn't exactly a Homburg, although it looks like one. I've since learned it is a western style hat made by Stetson at some point, although I can't pinpoint its exact age. At any rate, thank you to Drew at Clean A Hat, who did a fantastic job putting on a new ribbon and reshaping it to make it more Homburg-esque. It came much cleaner than I expected for such a light hat, too. It turned out to be a GREAT eBay find.

Before:
GrayHomburgBefore.jpg

After:
GrayHomburg.jpg

Broker,

I like what you did with that hat:)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
hatophile said:
That's interesting Carouselvic,

I just won a western on Ebay with the same store logo in San Fransisco.
It's a nice older one, maybe 40's or 50's. When I return from vacation I'll try to post some photos.
The Visalia Stock Saddle Co. is still in business, but I do not think they handle any hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe