Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

blixa00

One of the Regulars
I'd take a pass on the little "gem"...with so many excellent vintage items going for so much less why not save your money for a great vintage hat! The felt will be of higher quality, the styling will be better and there are tons of great sellers on Ebay so why risk a bad transaction?? This seller is acting in a manner that would certainly make me hesitant to do business with him/her!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Stetson "slouch" over $900 with shipping.

Slouch

B

The crazy thing about this is that a very similar hat (same basic design, color, Fray sweatband) that had 1890's provenance, including photos of the owner, and was in much better condition, sold for only $455 (see pre-1940 Stetson Westerns thread).

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
KevKaos59 said:
I agree with each point that has been made on this particular subject. The bidding is VERY suspect. The seller does have the right to not sell internationally. And yes, the shipping is steep, but it seems to be the trend on the bay. Ive actually paid $15 or more for shipping and had the package show up reflecting $8 actual shipping. The funny thing is that I never even placed a bid on this item. if it hadn't been for me emailing the seller earlier, I wouldn't have heard anything back. I had basically written off this hat when I saw how high it went. Don't know if this particular hat is worth that price, but it is not worth it to me at this time. I have made an offer of $32.50 plus shipping. What I was going to suggest is if it was an oversea Lounge member that had won that auction, I would try to get a better price and then work a no profit for me deal to help out. Probably won't matter anyway, because I doubt the seller will accept my offer. Just thinking out loud.
Speaking of suspect...I won a hat on friday, it went very very low, now the seller wishes to cancel the xaction because her DOG ATE IT(i think she wants to relist to get more casH)...I asked for pics of the damage... none-yet. I want the frecken hat, even if the dog chewed on it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
jeffconnors said:
Speaking of suspect...I won a hat on friday, it went very very low, now the seller wishes to cancel the xaction because her DOG ATE IT(i think she wants to relist to get more casH)...I asked for pics of the damage... none-yet. I want the frecken hat, even if the dog chewed on it.

Coulda happened. [huh] I know my dogs have destroyed a couple of vintage hats when UPS left the boxes on the porch instead of inside the very large container I have on the porch for deliveries. One was supposed to have been a present for my wife. :rage: (This is why I now ask sellers whose auctions specify UPS if they'll ship USPS instead.)

What I bought:
ThePresident.jpg

What I got courtesy of UPS and my dogs:
ThePresidentAfterDelivery3.jpg

ThePresidentAfterDelivery.jpg

But yeah, I'd want proof as well! :p

Cheers,
Tom

jeffconnors said:

Yeah, let her send the hat to prove it or send pictures(without Photoshoped teeth marks and holes). :eek:

Tango Yankee said:
Coulda happened. [huh] I know my dogs have destroyed a couple of vintage hats when UPS left the boxes on the porch instead of inside the very large container I have on the porch for deliveries. One was supposed to have been a present for my wife. :rage: (This is why I now ask sellers whose auctions specify UPS if they'll ship USPS instead.)

What I bought:
What I got courtesy of UPS and my dogs:

But yeah, I'd want proof as well! :p

Cheers,
Tom

I feel your pain. :(

RBH

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
1950s VINTAGE STETSON TEARDROP FEDORA

oldstetson2.jpg

olsstetson.jpg

Someone nailed a deal. I'm thinking 2o's -3o's w/ that lining & those proportions, rather than 5o's as the seller suggests. And who's ever heard of a model called "The Motor Lightweight"? Sounds like something dating from dawn of popular & affordable automobiles perhaps?
A quick search and this was the only ad I found, from 1937.

motorfg.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Rick Blaine said:
1950s VINTAGE STETSON TEARDROP FEDORA

Someone nailed a deal. I'm thinking 2o's -3o's w/ that lining & those proportions, rather than 5o's as the seller suggests. And who's ever heard of a model called "The Motor Lightweight"? Sounds like something dating from dawn of popular & affordable automobiles perhaps?

That's '30s. A beat-up black Stetson 'Motor' sold recently on ebay.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe