Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

billyspew

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Backbow=late '50s. Also, that size tag is more modern than some of the Knox Twenty's we've posted in the 'School of Hard Knox' thread, and there's at least one (with older tag than yours) that's 1950-53. Finally, that liner cover is so smooth you can barely see it - looks like the later plastic liner covers.

I have a Knox 'Custom Edge' that I was guessing is late '50s, early '60s, and yours looks older, so I bet it's just newer than mid-50s.

I'm not sure that's an accurate assumption.

I know for a fact that Adam introduced backbows somewhere prior to 53 (I've details of one with OPS tag that's a couple of years pre-Miller Miller Bros era). Adam were not normally at the forefront of hat fashion, so I can only surmise that others introduced this first. That was all it was based on though so could be wrong, it has been known! ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
I'm not sure that's an accurate assumption.

I know for a fact that Adam introduced backbows somewhere prior to 53 (I've details of one with OPS tag that's a couple of years pre-Miller Miller Bros era). Adam were not normally at the forefront of hat fashion, so I can only surmise that others introduced this first. That was all it was based on though so could be wrong, it has been known! ;)

I listed several characteristics that led me to the dating conclusion, other than the backbow.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
However the statement Backbow=late '50s I cannot agree with, but we can agree to disagree.:eek:

I'm with you on this one. The photos below were taken from the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon and are clearly sporting a backbow:

3859317816_2e9f5156f8_o.jpg

3859307966_cb0182641d_o.jpg

Now back to your newest ebay wins... :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
m000m000 said:
I just scored this. Thoughts?

334836259_tp.jpg

I've been looking for a grey wider-brim hat with a cavanagh edge for some time already, and this one seems to have enough height that it should take relatively kindly to resizing up a bit. I just hope the super tight pinch hasn't damaged the felt on the front of the crown...

That looks like a fine hat. I like the obscure makers from the past. Some of them were store brands contracted through Cavanagh or Dobbs, etc. This one will be great once that tight front pinch is relaxed a bit. I'd brush it well and wet it, then shape it up. Good score!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I think that rainbow has more issues that went unmentioned. The crown looks to be discolored all the way around, above the ribbon.

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Yeah...

I saw that one, too. Always too small. Too small, I tell ya!

Be of good cheer, Mario. As I tried to tell myself when house-hunting, don't get too wound up...there's always another house on the market. Same with that guy trying to put you in that new car today. There'll always be another hat, especially in your size. Sorry you missed it, but I predict we'll soon all be drooling over your latest score (like I have many times in the past).

Cheers,

GC

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
It has been my experience that the discoloration is way worse, once you get the hat in hand. I have a Dobbs and a Knox with this same problem.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
I'll back down on this!!

However the statement Backbow=late '50s I cannot agree with, but we can agree to disagree.:eek:

Bill, Mario - I'm certain that you could always order a hat with a back-bow.

Surprised no one else has chimed in on this, but the back-bow was actually the most popular in the late 'teens - I have seen documentary footage from 1915-20 showing fedoras with back-bows.

It then had a resurgence in the late '50s. But just like plastic liner covers, black sweatbands, reeded sweatbands, brim widths, etc....it's just a characteristic to HELP you date a hat. And it turns out to be a pretty good one.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Esnipe my dear Mario...

:eek:fftopic:
Can you succesfully snipe a BIN? I'd try it on one where the entry bid is low and the BIN is high, but the two times I've hit the buy button the entry bid was only ten bucks less than the BIN. I figured it'd be easier to spend the extra few bucks than risk losing the item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82