Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone here win this Dobbs top hat?
1-2.jpg

4-3.jpg

What's important about this one is that it dates to the first years of Dobbs production, somewhere between late-1908 and late-1914, making it the earliest confirmed Dobbs I've seen.

The size is up in the air until the buyer receives it, though.lol

I hope someone here won it, so we can see the details more thoroughly.

Brad

billysmom

One Too Many
Dobbs Homburg

DobbsHomburg.jpg

My fourth brown Homburg. I keep telling my husband that there are important differences that make each a treasure. He remains skeptical. ;)

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Boss of the Plains?

I know this hat is old, but it obviously had a crease similar to what you would find in a campaign hat, and the brim is stiff. The seller didn't want to discuss the color, etc.

Thoughts?

Boss of the Plains?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
ScottF said:
I know this hat is old, but it obviously had a crease similar to what you would find in a campaign hat, and the brim is stiff. The seller didn't want to discuss the color, etc.

Thoughts?

Boss of the Plains?

Looking at his other ('60s and '70s) westerns, with nearly matching ones, I'd say the band is not original to the hat. Maybe vintage, maybe of relatively recent make, but probably not put on by the original owner. Is the hat a pre- '40s western? Yes. It doesn't have the holes found on campaign hats, though stylistically they're nearly identical. I'd say it's closer to '30s than to 1890s, but the style would have been found in the 1890s period.
Did the band and (lack of) crease drive the price up? Almost certainly.

Perceived authenticity seems to be a much greater factor in the value of these old westerns than actual authenticity is. A gus crease will get you more money than a telescope. A fancy band will get you more than a plain one.

Look at this seller's other auctions at the moment. They're not misrepresented, they're listed as newer hats made up for movies, but they give buyers what they want to see. '70s hats redone in a caricature of a Hollywood interpretation of old-west style. 7" crowns, 5" brims, fancy bands and a lot of dirt. What would be a $20 (maybe) hat with serious sweatband issues and staining is currently at $172 with a day left on the clock.

Here's one of mine, dated to 1933-35. Stylistically almost identical. Mine also had creases, but is currently in a boss of the plains style. When I got it, it had a deep cattleman's crease which left no room for a head. There's also evidence of shallow campaign-style creases, but it's impossible to tell what was original. I steamed it to open crown.

IMG_1014.jpg

But look what a difference that band makes.
_1260069223480.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
Look at this seller's other auctions at the moment. They're not misrepresented, they're listed as newer hats made up for movies, but they give buyers what they want to see. '70s hats redone in a caricature of a Hollywood interpretation of old-west style.

But look what a difference that band makes.
Unless someone sewed in a vintage sweatband, that's not
a newer hat made up for a movie. Pretty cool buckle on that
band, too. It does appear to me somehow older than your hat.

But yeah, I'd want more bona fides and perhaps fewer moth bites
for that money. For the look, it'd be easier to get a ranger hat from
a bit later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken