Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

babs

A-List Customer
Got my 1st ebay risk.. Cool little hat

So first impression being that the only other reference was the wool felt homburg I bought (only other felt dress hat)... Man!!!! Fur felt is a vast improvement. Wool's for sweaters, suits and slacks from now on as far as I'm concerned. :)

This is a new Miller hat (made by Biltmore) I picked up for a darn nice price. stitched under brim (edit - vocabulary learned.. "underwelt" brim), nice embossed leather sweat band..

Help me classify it.. Trilby? Stingy center-dent fedora? I dunno what to call it. I like it though.

However.. Though it is marked 7 1/4" I can say it's significantly smaller than the Bailey hom'. Possibly shrank a little? I dunno. Possibly the Millers run a tad small. But I'm wearing it now pulled down in hope it stretches just a tad. Of course the newb here wouldn't know a hat stretcher if it bit me. :)

Whata ya think for a 1st time ebay hat purchase?
DSCN0721.jpg

2stuploadfromcamera101.jpg

2stuploadfromcamera099.jpg

... Yes I'm no Sinatra for sure.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
babs said:
So first impression being that the only other reference was the wool felt homburg I bought (only other felt dress hat)... Man!!!! Fur felt is a vast improvement. Wool's for sweaters, suits and slacks from now on as far as I'm concerned. :)

This is a new Miller hat (made by Biltmore) I picked up for a darn nice price. stitched under brim, nice embossed sweat band..

Help me classify it.. Trilby? Stingy center-dent fedora? I dunno what to call it. I like it though.

However.. Though it is marked 7 1/4" I can say it's significantly smaller than the Bailey hom'. Possibly shrank a little? I dunno. Possibly the Millers run a tad small. But I'm wearing it now pulled down in hope it stretches just a tad. Of course the newb here wouldn't know a hat stretcher if it bit me. :)

Whata ya think for a 1st time ebay hat purchase?
DSCN0721.jpg

2stuploadfromcamera101.jpg

2stuploadfromcamera099.jpg

... Yes I'm no Sinatra for sure.

I think it's a good way to break into hats! Small brims are more socially tolerable, for some reason. Good acquisition.

babs

A-List Customer
Thanks.. Yeah I do see a little purchase from Australia in the near future though with a wee bit more brim though. :)

You make an interesting point though. I read somewhere in my early learning (like maybe a week ago), as lapels got skinnier, brims got stingy in the mid-late 50's into early 60's. Eventually as hats phased out of popularity in those dreaded paisley 60's to not recover until hopefully soon.. The look of the full brim fedora is certainly something folks don't see very often for sure.

Any suggestions for the bashing and dents of this hat, lemme know.. It appears very easy to work with.

Yhat

New in Town
Stretch of Open Road (pun intended)

Thanks for the guidance. I figured a 2-size stretch was likely contrary to the laws of God and man. I'd hate to ruin that Open Road and take it out of circulation. One of the keys to being a responsible relic-hunter, I suppose, is sometimes leaving the treasures for others to find. (Still, that haunts me a bit).

"Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the Open Road" ... Walt Whitman

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Yhat said:
Thanks for the guidance. I figured a 2-size stretch was likely contrary to the laws of God and man. I'd hate to ruin that Open Road and take it out of circulation. One of the keys to being a responsible relic-hunter, I suppose, is sometimes leaving the treasures for others to find. (Still, that haunts me a bit).

"Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the Open Road" ... Walt Whitman

Perhaps the true sign of a hat lover is someone who respects a hat enough to leave it for the right person.
Well done, Yhat -- I'm sure your hat karma will now lead you to all kinds of amazing finds. ;) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Although they're much harder to come by, and I find them very interesting, most people really aren't into the '20s-early '30s hats as much as later '30s and '40s ones. And in general, most ebay-ers don't know what they're looking at when it comes to the really old ones. They just see them as having a shorter brim and think they're stingy and associate stingy with '60s hats.

I didn't really expect it to go for much more.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
jimmy the lid said:
Perhaps the true sign of a hat lover is someone who respects a hat enough to leave it for the right person.
Well done, Yhat -- I'm sure your hat karma will now lead you to all kinds of amazing finds. ;) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Yes...it's important to be able to leave nice hats for other people. Collection mania is a disservice to people who are trying to get into hats - or anything else for that matter.

Feraud

Bartender
Of course. Auction prices can vary according to supply, demand, knowledge of buyers, etc. etc.
Lately I've observed hats I consider mediocre (a subjective observation btw) sell for a lot of money while others are being had for a reasonable price.
That one is a beauty. :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
My quest to get down to 10 hats suffered a setback recently, when I "accidentally" BIN'd a hat while listing hats to sell :(

I'm hoping this Mallory will be a close match (except for the bow) to Depp's oxblood 'Public Enemy' fedora:

!BV1p4zwCGk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLluzl+BKUj94bHEQ~~_12.JPG

Mallory Ten

I have been relying on rlk to monitor the ebay BIN's and save me from myself.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
My quest to get down to 10 hats suffered a setback recently, when I "accidentally" BIN'd a hat while listing hats to sell :(

I'm hoping this Mallory will be a close match (except for the bow) to Depp's oxblood 'Public Enemy' fedora:

!BV1p4zwCGk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLluzl+BKUj94bHEQ~~_12.JPG

Mallory Ten

I have been relying on rlk to monitor the ebay BIN's and save me from myself.

Sorry Scott, I need the rescuing myself at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld