Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
RLK it will be interesting to see that one in the flesh. The two pictures look like two different hats. Makes you wonder at the true color.
The liner and sweatband coloring and exposure look about right in the second photo so I'm expecting(hoping) for something like that. Can't decipher the brim edge treatment either. Looks almost like a felt bound edge.

Feraud

Bartender
rlk said:
Finally won an actual auction. Looks like a felt band around the crown and strange edge.
3692710480_af97b913a3_o.jpg
3692710534_66297dc223_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...spagename=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123&salenotsupported

The brim edge looks like it could be an overwelt.
The felt hatband is a nice detail.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Judging by both of the photos, I think the odds are pretty good that the edge treatment is actually a self-felt edge binding, like the one on my Stetson Casual. What throws me a bit are the deep shadows at the front. [huh]

That's a nice hat. Congrats.

Cheers,
JtL

Mark DeCou

Vendor
Vintage Maillard Formillon on eBay

I have restored several Maillard Formillons for hat makers. I'm NOT a hat maker, but rather a woodworker that hat makers have used in the past to recreate vintage tools they need, or to restore vintage tools they own.

That work has included some Formillons that needed only a new finger or two, up to ones that needed a lot of work, even replacing all of the wooden fingers. It is a very labor intensive job to restore all of the fingers, and so starting off with a Formillon in good shape is recommended.

This summer a lady in Newport Beach, CA found me on the internet and asked for me to view a Maillard Allie Formillon that she had, and that she wanted to sell it to me. I don't like folks that take advantage of other people who are naive to the value of what they own, so I felt it was prudent to tell her the potential value of the tool. Since I don't have any extra money for such investments, I was unable to buy it from her.

However, I have quite a few hat making customers that I have sold my Hat Tools to over the past couple of years, all of which I could have offered this Formillon to. But how would I just pick one person, and leave the others out?

So, I recommended that she eBay the Formillon with lots of photos and a good description of it's condition, and offer it Internationally. Then I would notify some folks and let the market decide who gets to be the next stewad of it.

So, she sent the Formillon to me to get my opinion on the condition and an estimate for it's complete restoration. I inspected it closely a few weeks back and found it to be in pretty good shape, better than most.

She has it listed on eBay now, ending July 7th, 2009

If anyone is wanting to own a solid Formillon, this might be a good time to buy a good one that needs just a few repairs.

I have no connection to the ebay listing, other than I wanted to let some hat makers know about one up for sale that is in pretty good shape.

thanks,
Mark DeCou
www.decoustudio.com

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carouselvic said:
Resized to 7 3\8LO by Optimo with new ribbon, keeping as much patina as possible.
Up two sizes and LO. Impressive. Is that the
original ribbon? Sure looks clean.

Great hat. I gotta get me one of those!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adam Executive

This Adam Executive arrived from the bay today

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

Reminds me of Lansky's hat

MeyerLansky2.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:
I'm so excited about this one! it'll cost me a fortune to get it over here but I suspect it'll be worth every penny!

That is an amazing deal - I'm surprised that didn't go for double that, great condition and big size normally means big bucks, I'm sure the shipping will be worth it.

Garrett said:
This Adam Executive arrived from the bay today

Garrett - I've been waiting to see that one. Would it be possible to see the sweatband detailing? Also is there a model name under the sweat?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
billyspew said:
That is an amazing deal - I'm surprised that didn't go for double that, great condition and big size normally means big bucks, I'm sure the shipping will be worth it.

Yes, you're right! and I was really, really surprised too.. I couldn't believe my luck, I was expecting some FL-member to snipe it for an exorbitant amount of money..:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld