Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Lefty said:
I'm sure that quite a few of this were watching this great Cavanagh (with $40 shipping for my address! :eek:) climb all week. It's 7 3/8 and went for $235.
de52_12.JPG
c44f_12.JPG

The actual piece definately outgunnes the ebay pics! It is in brand new condition beamed strait out of some mid fifties cabinet into the new millennium and on my head :)

The colour is more like capuccino rather than latte macchiato. The felt? Quiet beaverish. Cavanagh edge? Youp! Stingy fivties brim? No way, it is a fully fledged fedora.

High price? In EURO terms about a third of what you pay for one of the new beaver felt trials of an Italian manufacturer :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Cater - are you disappointed? A featherweight would be great, but a Custom V - if it's your size - is pretty nice as well.

SJD - Champ, Lee, and Adam were cheap hats, both in price and construction. Of course, cheap vintage construction is 10x better than any factory hat made today, making them very nice hats. Cavanagh, Dobbs, Knox, & Mallory were at the top end, and Stetson was so big that it competed at nearly every price and quality point.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Cater - are you disappointed? A featherweight would be great, but a Custom V - if it's your size - is pretty nice as well. ...
Lefty, I am absolutely not disappointed. Actually, I was plesantly surprised. I suspected from the listing that there might be a Stetson in that Champ box.

The charcoal grey Custom V is in VG condition with the exception of the easily-fixed wrinkled ribbon and some staining of the liner. It needs to be stretched one size but that's no problem.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Dreispitz said:
The actual piece definately outgunnes the ebay pics! It is in brand new condition beamed strait out of some mid fifties cabinet into the new millennium and on my head :)

The colour is more like capuccino rather than latte macchiato. The felt? Quiet beaverish. Cavanagh edge? Youp! Stingy fivties brim? No way, it is a fully fledged fedora.

High price? In EURO terms about a third of what you pay for one of the new beaver felt trials of an Italian manufacturer :)

$235. is cheap for a treasure.All of these vintage hats are treasures.If more people were educated on these things we couldn't touch one for less than $1000.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
$235. is cheap for a treasure.All of these vintage hats are treasures.If more people were educated on these things we couldn't touch one for less than $1000.

The faculty here at FLU are doing their part!;)

Brad

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
The faculty here at FLU are doing their part!;)

Brad

Very true, Brad! Had you not posted your collected knowledge on - guess, we better keep it secret from now on :D - I certinly remained a philistine concerning the value of actual H A T S !

C H A P E A U !!!!

carter

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Great goin' Carter. Remember, I told you I though you were gettin' a Stetson not a Featherweight...

Glad it was a CustomV!
You did say that. I'm just glad it's a Stetson I actually want! :)

Brad, Man, you are cracking me up!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Re the broad-brimmed brown Cavanagh:

Dreispitz said:

A lovely hat, Dreispitz. Reminds me of the grey Cavanagh "Wall St." model I picked up a few months back, and which you see in my avatar. I can't read what it says on the sweatband...could you share what the model name is?

- Bill

Warbaby

One Too Many
My First eBay Hat

Just won the bid on this vintage Borsalino on eBay Belgium. The seller said it was 1940s - any opinions? The photos aren't very good, just grabs from the ebay listing.

Bors2.jpg

Bors1.jpg

The seller described it as being in very good condition, but we'll see. Actually, I won't see for awhile yet because I'm having it sent to my address in Amsterdam and I'll get it when I go over soon.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Woodfluter said:
Re the broad-brimmed brown Cavanagh:

A lovely hat, Dreispitz. Reminds me of the grey Cavanagh "Wall St." model I picked up a few months back, and which you see in my avatar. I can't read what it says on the sweatband...could you share what the model name is?

- Bill

Hello Woodfluter,

there is no particular model name indicated on my hat. It was sold through Goldheim Washington. Maybe, that is why there is no further model indication.

se the hat: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=763931#post763931

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe