Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Great info -- thanks. At the time that Hat Corp. became a union shop -- what particular brands were under its lid, so to speak? :)

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
It should clean up nicely. Nice score! I've noticed that Cavanagh sweats do tend to crumble. If you want to wear it, have a new sweat installed, but save the old one.

Is there a Union label inside anywhere?

Brad
Thanks Brad. I don't see the Union Label, it might have gone with the liner. The felt shapes beautifully despite the crust and there appear to be no signs of moth activity or actual stains. Brushing it, however, requires a mask. Do you think this is a 1930's hat?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Thanks Brad. I don't see the Union Label, it might have gone with the liner. The felt shapes beautifully despite the crust and there appear to be no signs of moth activity or actual stains. Brushing it, however, requires a mask. Do you think this is a 1930's hat?

Possibly '30s, but it looks like it has a reeded sweatband, which is usually considered a later adaptation. But the price doesn't exclude it from being '30s. I once thought that the bow style on the sweat was indicative of age, with a regular bow early on, the 3-leaf clover by the '40s, and back to a regular-style bow in the late '50s. But I'm not convinced this is an accurate assessment.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Great info -- thanks. At the time that Hat Corp. became a union shop -- what particular brands were under its lid, so to speak? :)

Cheers,
JtL
Cavanagh
Dobbs
Knox
Crofut & Knapp
Dunlap
Berg
Byron

They were no longer making hats for Disney by 1943, from what I've found.

Add Champ to the list after 1956.

I should add that the United Hatters of North America (predecessor to UHC&MWI) was gone from the factory in 1909, so if anyone has a Crofut & Knapp, Dobbs, or Disney with THAT label, it's from 1909 or earlier.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Cavanagh Fedoras Age

My other Grey Cavanagh Fedora is very slightly darker both felt and ribbon, 2-1/4 brim and I don't find a Union Label either. It has one tassel on the sweatband bow, while the crusty has two if that means anything. It says $25.00 and has a 2" Sweatband while crusty is 1-3/4" with a $20.00 tag.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Great hat, RLK!

I agree with Brad (who by the way is total king of Cavanagh knowledge in my book) that you have a superfine hat here that will clean up with fantastic results.

Per Brad:
"I've noticed that Cavanagh sweats do tend to crumble. If you want to wear it, have a new sweat installed, but save the old one."

With all the usual caveats, my one and only Cavanagh (and favorite hat, seen in my avatar) has no union label and the sweatband is like new apart from some surficial salt deposits that cleaned off nicely with water. Could have passed for brand new except that you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone putting in leather of that quality now.

Brad, why would Cavanagh, if they aspired to be the Cadillac of hats, settle for second-rate leather in their sweatbands? Unless it looked great when new but wouldn't stand the test of time. I'll have to defer to your observations in any case...I'm just puzzled. Mine perhaps the exception...

- Bill

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
My other Grey Cavanagh Fedora is very slightly darker both felt and ribbon, 2-1/4 brim and I don't find a Union Label either. It has one tassel on the sweatband bow, while the crusty has two if that means anything. It says $25.00 and has a 2" Sweatband while crusty is 1-3/4" with a $20.00 tag.

Okay, that helps. The crusty (needs a better name!) has a pretty narrow brim for the '30s, so I would say that makes it more likely late '50s or so - which does fit in with my sweatband bow theory.

The other hat is more likely mid-'40s to mid-'50s.

Woodfluter said:
Brad, why would Cavanagh, if they aspired to be the Cadillac of hats, settle for second-rate leather in their sweatbands? Unless it looked great when new but wouldn't stand the test of time. I'll have to defer to your observations in any case...I'm just puzzled. Mine perhaps the exception...

I'm sure it was first rate leather at the time, but just doesn't hold up over the decades. They never expected anyone to be wearing these hats fifty, sixty, seventy years later. If they did, they would imagine them being renovated from time to time, as well. And thanks, I am now the Cavanagh King!lol

The union label thing is useful but only to a certain extent, obviously.

Did you look on the back of the size tag sticking out inside the hat? Sometimes they are on there. I also saw that small label under the sweat, but couldn't recogize anything on it.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs 20, 7 3/8, $69
0bf2_12.JPG
13f9_12.JPG

1690_12.JPG
!BOMg(5gBWk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvv6nBJt,LobbNw~~_12.JPG

Ecuadorian Panama Hat Co. leghorn, 7 1/4, only $13 :eek:
4852_1_sbl.JPG
3f80_1_sbl.JPG

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Okay, that helps. The crusty (needs a better name!) has a pretty narrow brim for the '30s, so I would say that makes it more likely late '50s or so - which does fit in with my sweatband bow theory.

Actually it has the wider brim, 2-9/16" ,the sweatband however is the narrower (and lesser quality)1-3/4" with the double loop bow and double tassel. Nothing on the back of the size tag.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Actually it has the wider brim, 2-9/16" ,the sweatband however is the narrower (and lesser quality)1-3/4" with the double loop bow and double tassel. Nothing on the back of the size tag.

My mistake, I misread it. Sorry.:eek:

Okay, narrower sweatband (hope I got it right this time!), but that's also indicative of a later hat.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Berg seemed reasonable (because the name isn't as popular), but whoever took Vic's Playboy for $83 - around $75 with the 10% off coupon they gave out today - just got a heck of a deal.
5adc_1.JPG
7624_1.JPG

MattJH

One Too Many
ARGH! Another I'm-So-Frustrated post. I got called into a meeting shortly before the Playboy auction ended and completely missed it and there wasn't anything I could do about it. Carter, you are lucky, I was ready to compete! I've ALWAYS wanted a Playboy, especially in Black! If for any reason you aren't satisfied with it, please please please please please let me know. Please? Pretty please?

carter

I'll Lock Up
OK, but don't hold your breath.
You and I are in the same Scavenger Hunt. ;) :)
I'm just glad a few more of the Big Heads on this forum weren't involved and that the auction ended this morning.;) :)

MattJH

One Too Many
I understand! But maybe the hat will be a little bit tight on you or a little bit big on you. Or maybe you won't like it when you put it on. Or maybe you think it makes you look silly. Or maybe the brim and ribbon dimensions won't work on you at all. Or maybe you want to help me celebrate my upcoming 32nd birthday on the 31st. I mean, you never know! ;)

MattJH

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Not true. You could have used an online, pre-programmable sniping sevice, such as www.auctionsniper.com

What I mean is I was called to a meeting that wasn't planned. I was dragged, kicking and screaming, from my desk and into a conference room. There seriously wasn't anything I could do about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe