Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Thoughts on reserve prices? My general feeling is that if you're looking for a bottom price, start your bid at that price, but I'm sure there's a perspective I'm missing. What do you all think?

A

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thoughts on reserve prices? My general feeling is that if you're looking for a bottom price, start your bid at that price, but I'm sure there's a perspective I'm missing. What do you all think?

A

My feeling is start them at the lowest price you're prepared to sell for. Some argue a reserve price and starting lower attracts more interest, but I think it often puts people off (it puts me off at least!).

fedoracentric

Banned
I disagree. I have no problem with a reserve price. I think that having a very high first bid will almost make sure you'll never sell your item. Plus as a seller you always have the option to sell it at whatever the highest bid was even if it didn't reach your reserve. Ebay is too fickle not to have a reserve, I think. For instance, I tried to sell a we shaving item four times. Three times it never got anywhere near my reserve, but the 4th time it did. So, I did get what I wanted, but the three other times? Why did it not get there? Who knows? But it is clear in that case that if I tried to have a first bid at my reserve it never would have sold at all.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Maybe because the person who wanted that item badly didn't show up before.
It have happened to me on itens I failed to log on time and after the relist it goes high like crazy.

fashion frank

One Too Many

A

I tend to avoid any hats with a reserve , but thats just me ,I feel as though a reserve is like already setting the bar at a certain height so to speak, but then I tend to "snipe" , you know sneak in at the last few seconds of an auction and "seal" the auction before anyone else can drive up the price by having the auction itself run out of time and close ,so a reserve already puts me at a disadvantage in that respect as I am already trying to get the hat at the least possible price and a reserve makes people tend to start bidding just to try to get up to the reserve price.

Well thats my take on it so let me step down off my soapbox in regards to reserve pricing.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
My feeling is start them at the lowest price you're prepared to sell for. Some argue a reserve price and starting lower attracts more interest, but I think it often puts people off (it puts me off at least!).

Agreed. I won't play a guessing game with a seller. As soon as I see that an item has a reserve, I hit the back button.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
From a sellers point of view I fail to see the benefit of a reserve price as the cost ebay lump on it outweighs any use it might be, in comparison to starting the bid at what you want for it. I personally have started to use BIN with best offer, I've had good results with this buying and selling, you can both agree on a price so both parties are happy, and there is no anticipation on how much you might get bid up etc. It is a quick and simple method, yes it's unlikely you may snag the deal of a lifetime this way but i've offered $30 on a hat that was $150 and the listing was in its final hours and it was accepted, so there are bargain to be had.

fedoracentric

Banned
Well, I have used the reserve price feature for a decade on ebay (for selling mostly things other than hats just because I don't have many hats to sell) and have had success getting my reserve at least 95 percent of the time. So, for those who imagine it chases away bidders, I have not experienced that.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
So, for those who imagine it chases away bidders, I have not experienced that.

That seems quite logical. I know a lot of eBay-buyers - including myself - who would never touch an auction with reserve. Most likely none of us will ever contact you to tell you so, but that doesn't mean, we don't exist - and it also doesen't mean, that you wouldn't have gotten a higher bid from one of us, without the reserve. Market research and statistics can be complicated issues to work with ;)

I have very little experience as a seller on eBay - some experience as a buyer. I also find reserves annoying. To my eye, the most successful sellers are those that establish a reputation for quality items that are well documented with photos. Once they have a good following of buyers who have favorited them as a seller, they can list an item with a starting box of .99 and get the traffic needed for competitive bidding and good returns. Looking at completed items, the auctions always seem to have the best results. BIN listings seem to end frequently without a sale.

That said, if an auction has an item I really want, I will probably bite despite the roadblocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld