Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

No way a 25 made it past Quality Control with a ribbon tacking going thru the sweatband...JMHO
Wow, just moments ago I received an incredible hat from the bay. It is a gorgeous Stetson 25 in silver belly with a 2 7/8" raw brim and matching 1 3/8" ribbon. Though it does not indicate long oval, it's a perfect fit on me (like a glove), and the sweatband feels like it just came fresh from the factory, but it is undoubtedly original. The hat appears virtually unworn, but there is a mystery:

The ribbon is most definitely vintage, and tack stitched in the usual Stetson way, but one of the stitches actually went through the sweatband! Could this be a factory second? It doesn't appear to me like an amateur ribbon replacement job.

I will post photos ASAP.

Look forward to your pictures. Most (all?) of the Stetson 25s I've seen have been OR style western hats. A ribbon replacement seems likely. Interesting flaw, as ribbons are generally hand sewn. A stitch through a sweatband would be noticeable to the stitcher.

CenTech

New in Town
Noob here. Just won this one on eBay. I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures. I've tried uploading them from the url, and then tried saving them and uploading them from my cpu. Neither way is working....anyway, here's the link to the listing on ebay. Got it for 46 bucks. As I'm new to this and this is my first vintage hat, any thoughts on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KNO...7or8akE9sEXp1bKa7VQ1c%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice stingy Knox, you got there! You'll need to use a third party image host, such as imageshack, etc. to upload pics here.

By my eye, this ribbon also appears slightly forward. There aren't any traces of brim cutting or previous binding, either, and the felt is every bit as nice as my other twenty five (the old OR). Liner and sweatband match up. Original or not, I'm digging this hat!

Here's what I've photographed so far. The major stitch you'll see through the sweatband matches up to the bottom front of the outside ribbon. There's another smaller one also visible in the photos.

q97g.jpg

kcaf.jpg

ddh9.jpg

iv7z.jpg

and a preliminary dry crease:

pfqi.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I think that is a good estimate - a short history of logotypes is shown here.

Such info only limits the oldest it could be--these styles can be kept indefinitely. Likely late 30's at the earliest from the sweatband and wouldn't preclude on into the 50's even--nothing distinctively dateable. If there is a manufacturers label that would help possibly. A De Pinna competitor,Finchley, has a Tudor-style Logo....

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CenTech - nice find at a decent price for a 71/2

Jeff - That's lovely. Whether or not the ribbon was original or not, it works beautifully.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Loving this so far.

I just read an eBay listing that used these words:

toemail
begoogled
ahat

(Obviously the seller's space bar was malfunctioning, but I got a kick out if it nonetheless!)

:)

John Galt

Vendor
"Here I'd like to address the lies being thrown around about me on a certain forum. I was emailed by one of you great ebay buyers and he told me that a bunch of elitist liars are telling stories about the many hats I've sold. These hats I am selling ARE NOT STRETCHED on a hat stretcher. I made the mistake of being honest with these liars several years ago and mentioned that I tried a hat stretcher. But that experiment ruined the hat. I have since never used a stretcher. THIS hat has not been stretched, either. It is exactly as I bought it. So, don't listen to these jerks telling you my hats are messed around with. They are simply liars. Period."

I have purchased (actually traded straight across) from this seller. He treated me well, and we reached an equitable agreement. The hat he sent me was both a rare collectible and as described. As for stretching, I personally don't see it as a cardinal sin. Hat stretchers have been around for a long time, and can be quite safe & useful if one is prudent and not too ambitious.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Don't be late picking them up, and let them order first. ;)

I'm sorry, that one never gets old for me. I'm awful. :eusa_doh:

It really is a nice looking hat, HamilcarBarca3. The $1 price tag would suggest something pretty old to me. I have a very similar one, made much more recently by Stratton, no less. I can't see any evidence of the Cav-edge from the photos, though. Still I think you got a great deal on a great hat. Could McCormick be the manufacturer?

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
Don't be late picking them up, and let them order first. ;)

I'm sorry, that one never gets old for me. I'm awful. :eusa_doh:

It really is a nice looking hat, HamilcarBarca3. The $1 price tag would suggest something pretty old to me. I have a very similar one, made much more recently by Stratton, no less. I can't see any evidence of the Cav-edge from the photos, though. Still I think you got a great deal on a great hat. Could McCormick be the manufacturer?

Good one, bowlerman ;)

But yeah, the price of the hat raised flags for me. I was thinking that the hat is a very old hat based on that price tag but the problem is that I'm not too familiar with old hat details :( Nevermind, I know what you mean now.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Hamil, fery nice fluffy grab!!

I'm not too sure, seems to be a confusing one. I think the sweat may be a replacement, or it was a custom lid, as there look to be no makers initials. The "Next Door" tag makes me think it was made for a neighbour, or something? I am not sure if te $1.00 is the original price, as the tag looks severely faded, and any writing that was on said tag would have faded as well. The taped seam makes me want to say pre-40's, and the body could a tad older (like it was refurbished ecen at some point in it's life)!?

But man, again, great deal! Seems to be the week for picking up those long-hairs!

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
Hamil, fery nice fluffy grab!!

I'm not too sure, seems to be a confusing one. I think the sweat may be a replacement, or it was a custom lid, as there look to be no makers initials. The "Next Door" tag makes me think it was made for a neighbour, or something? I am not sure if te $1.00 is the original price, as the tag looks severely faded, and any writing that was on said tag would have faded as well. The taped seam makes me want to say pre-40's, and the body could a tad older (like it was refurbished ecen at some point in it's life)!?

But man, again, great deal! Seems to be the week for picking up those long-hairs!

Thank you for the input, splintercellsz!

I have never seen a long hair felt hat, and the possibility of it being a pre-40s hat is exciting. Thanks much for the info, man, really appreciate it!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Look to be in great condition! I really like that shade of blue!

Yes, I didn't spy any moth bites or any damage. I feel that I paid a fair price despite not being able to get the seller to give in, lol. About 2 years ago I purchased 2 straw 1920s cloches from the same seller for about 100 bucks each so I guess I was spoiled from getting that good deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe