Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
CS, all very nice but I particularly like the second one, the black straw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the compliment DJH. That is surprising that you like that one out of the three because it would seem that the green one with the sparkles and beads would be the most eye catching and it had the most bids but I did expect it go much higher. I guess sometimes the most plain and understated hat can be the most impressive!

Brad, Great finds! The old catalogs contain valuable information. Hope to see more details.

CS, Fantastic as usual! We will have to have a DC-Baltimore Hat summit!

Recently won this 1950s P. & C. Habig. Rare to come across a light color one with this form. Poor auctions photo but I think will turn out to be a nice one.

9373389010_29753221b7.jpg

9373389018_e50f69cbbf.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
If you DO decide to sell them both or separately PLEASE keep me in mind. I was pretty sure I could tell from the Ebay listing that the Hopkins was a wonderful hat, at least as nice as the one I have, and your other photos just confirm this. Meanwhile, do enjoy.

Please PM me re this. The time is ripe.

John Galt

Vendor
I bought this Flagship on eBay this morning - can't wait to see what it looks like in person. I'm rather hopeful that I can make it shine again - the price was good and it was on my bucket list of lightweights (although I do have a short-brimmed factory second Flagship from the Stetson factory store). eBay photos, cropped. Was this sold by one of you gents?

John

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374869876.999472.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374869917.002688.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374869950.866455.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374869974.453064.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Just pulled the trigger on this old velour... and boy was it a steal! Believed to possibly be pre-WWI. It looks to have a Stetson LOT #, like the Stetson Dinerman sold awhile back. More photos when it arrives.

h1.jpg

h4.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Congrats to the new hats ladies and gentlemen. Me seems, you all picked up the best and rarest hats from bay.

Steve, congrats to your Habig, can't wait to see more of this hat!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
A seller had mentioned to me that with the debut of the movie "Gatsby" and the show "Downtown Abbey" that the prices of hats and anything vintage related have risen. Has anybody else noticed this? I do notice that the auctions now list the keywords "Gatsby" or "Boardwalk Empire" in their listings. I am noticing an alarming number of 20s and 30s hats are going for much higher than usual and was wondering if the popularity of these shows and movies have anything to do with it?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Not true for some mens lids I have seen, such as the one I posted on the previous page. It seems quite a few oldies are going cheap at the moment.

It does seem though that those terms to aid when something first comes out, then they become an eye-sore.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Splinter, you are correct in saying that these keywords do get annoying after awhile. I have to constantly let people know that I'm not some "Boardwalk" "Gatsby" or "Downtown Abbey" groupie. I have had people ask me if I wear vintage hats because of these shows and I have never even watched these shows save a couple of episodes of Boardwalk Empire. My love of hats predates these shows.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A seller had mentioned to me that with the debut of the movie "Gatsby" and the show "Downtown Abbey" that the prices of hats and anything vintage related have risen. Has anybody else noticed this? I do notice that the auctions now list the keywords "Gatsby" or "Boardwalk Empire" in their listings. I am noticing an alarming number of 20s and 30s hats are going for much higher than usual and was wondering if the popularity of these shows and movies have anything to do with it?

'Vintage' has become very trendy in the UK over the past few years, but I think that's more a reflection of the recession and turning necessity into fashion.

I am bored with sellers desperately trying to sell their stingy brimmed fedoras and trilbies as 'Mad Men' style though :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Kent, I see a lot of people and organizations on Twitter that are based out of the UK that celebrate the vintage lifestyle so that clued me in that the scene is thriving over there. I just purchased a royal blue cloche from a UK site for a reasonable price and was happy with it once it arrived.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe