Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Finally--respect for a homburg!

We've seen a number of times where someone has bought a very nice homburg for relatively little money, then talked about converting it to a regular fedora. It's an understandable temptation. Homburgs, no matter how nice or what the size, just didn't seem to pull in the big bidders.

Until now. Here's a Stetson St Regis Royal Deluxe, size 7 1/2, that went for just under $200.

3b83_1.JPG

Abberation or new trend? Only time will tell!:p

Regards,
Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's a trend...

I have a bad feeling that this one won't be a homburg for very long (check out the buyer's second item down on the feedback list). Demand for brown vintage hats is going to be increasing for a while, and many a noble homburg will suffer a horrific fate.

Brad

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
We've seen a number of times where someone has bought a very nice homburg for relatively little money, then talked about converting it to a regular fedora. It's an understandable temptation. Homburgs, no matter how nice or what the size, just didn't seem to pull in the big bidders.

Until now. Here's a Stetson St Regis Royal Deluxe, size 7 1/2, that went for just under $200.

3b83_1.JPG

Abberation or new trend? Only time will tell!:p

Regards,
Tom

I was watching that one. Very nice, glad it went for more than usual.

I ended this one early with buy it now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320252060823

Turns out the seller lives about an hour away.
Unfortunately after a week it still hasn't come. I messaged them earlier and heard nothing. Their feedback is good but I'm starting to worry something is wrong. :(

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
I have a bad feeling that this one won't be a homburg for very long (check out the buyer's second item down on the feedback list). Demand for brown vintage hats is going to be increasing for a while, and many a noble homburg will suffer a horrific fate.

Brad

Yikes! I hadn't checked his prior buys; at least a half-dozen IJ items, including an official hat! I do hope that he didn't spend that kind of money just to try to make it into an Indy hat. :eek:

Thunder, that's one very nice-looking Lee at a heck of a price! Hope it arrives soon.

Cheers,
Tom

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Yikes! I hadn't checked his prior buys; at least a half-dozen IJ items, including an official hat! I do hope that he didn't spend that kind of money just to try to make it into an Indy hat. :eek:

Thunder, that's one very nice-looking Lee at a heck of a price! Hope it arrives soon.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks.

I too missed the buyers other items. Ouch! Such a nice hat. Please oh please don't butcher it! :(

Woodfluter

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
Thanks.

I too missed the buyers other items. Ouch! Such a nice hat. Please oh please don't butcher it! :(

It was a very nice-looking homburg, and I bid on that early but it ran surprisingly high and soon I was out of the game. It would be kind of a shame to see it converted. The binding on the edge is not symmetrical I think - wider on the bottom where it is turned up - so if they do some kind of conversion they'll probably remove the binding.

Notice the question and answer posted by a "friend of a bidder" - said he thought it was a regular fedora, and the seller said it wasn't and had a stiffer brim. I was hoping maybe they will not be satisfied with it and it might eventually get re-sold to someone who would appreciate it as is - perhaps a "bah - homburg" reaction.

- Bill

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Hey, any fellas bidding on a Dobbs 7 1/8 in olive on our fave auction site?
I'm considering snatching it up, but hate to rob a fellow FL'er in the process....

GWD

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Hey, any fellas bidding on a Dobbs 7 1/8 in olive on our fave auction site?
I'm considering snatching it up, but hate to rob a fellow FL'er in the process....

All is fair in hat warfare! I maybe bidding against you though. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld