Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Caramel Smoothie , if that hat keeps calling you back,THEN I would say what the heck ,go for it!
I know how tuff it can sometimes be ,but there will always be more hats coming down the pike

All the Best , Fashion frank

Frank, more hats are always coming but never the same one, especially when you consider that I collect mainly 20s and 30s hats so chances are that the hat I have my eye on is the last surviving one.

I just bought the hat!:) I will post a pic when it comes next week and let the FL be the judge and jury, lol.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Question:

I don't know much about hat for men, so please tell me how much you would you pay for an original, never worn 1920s hat if the opportunity presented itself?

barrowjh

One Too Many
Grand Luxe overlook

I won this Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe from the bay last night. Clearly marked punti size 5, which equates to an American 7 1/8th (57 cm), but the seller believes it is better described as a size 7. May need some stretching, but should fit. Seller stated it had a 2 1/2 inch brim, and I certainly hope so. I titled this as 'overlook' because I'm thinking it was overlooked by my normal competitors - nobody bid against me and I picked it up at the listing price.

I know there is some competition out there for 7 1/8th hats, look at the final auction prices on these two

Stetson 7X Beaver 50
Stetson Royal Deluxe OR

Both of those closed on Feb 4, both for $152.50. I believe the Borsalino Grand Luxe felt will be at least comparable in quality to the 7X Beaver 50, and maybe better.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Way to go Gal !

Frank, more hats are always coming but never the same one, especially when you consider that I collect mainly 20s and 30s hats so chances are that the hat I have my eye on is the last surviving one.

I just bought the hat!:) I will post a pic when it comes next week and let the FL be the judge and jury, lol.

Hey like I said if it keeps "calling " you then what the heck ,pull the trigger !
Congrat's on the Hat , I know you must be happy !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

P.S. I see you changed your avatar, very nice.
WOW NOW HERES SOME HATS FOR YOU CARAMEL SMOOTHIE

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/hats/womens-hats/auctions

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Question:

I don't know much about hat for men, so please tell me how much you would you pay for an original, never worn 1920s hat if the opportunity presented itself?

If it is N.O.S. ( new old stock) and depending on the hat itself ,you know the style ,color rarity etc etc., speaking for
myself , I would pay $100.00 or even more again depending on the variables , but most often I try to never pay over
$50.00 for run of the mill hats even in good condition.

Perhaps other's will also chime in and give you a better idea.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I can't believe it but I got a brown Whippet today(in nice condition) for 86$. Buy it now is a nice option. ^_^

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251227926822

Hey Inspector how you doing?
We are the same head size and I agree with you, sometimes it's just easier to pull the trigger on the buy now option ,
provided the asking price is not out of the ball park.

I must tell you I am envious ,that a nice brim , I just bought a similar brown hat yesterday ,
but not as nice as that whippet but also not as costly.
Congrats on the hat .

Last edited:

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
Hey Inspector how you doing?
We are the same head size and I agree with you, sometimes it's just easier to pull the trigger on the buy now option ,
provided the asking price is not out of the ball park.

I must tell you I am envious that a nice brim ,i just bought a similar brown hat yesterday , but not as nice as that whippet but also not as costly.
Congrats on the hat .

Thanks frank. I have been dying to get one and I finally found it. This one is going to look great next to my Smith and Wesson. ^_^

fashion frank

One Too Many

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice going, Inspector. Helps to have a smaller head!

John, I bought that Stetson 7X CB http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...earing-Today&p=1586732&viewfull=1#post1586732 , and as I recall there wasn't a whole lot of bidding activity. It only went about $25 over opening. Maybe I overpaid, but I know I've seen those go for much higher. Yeah I know, I totally broke my usual ebay rule of "only bid when it's going to be a bargain..." ;)

By the way, nice Luxe!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Question:

Smoothie, with men's hats it depends a lot on the size. Larger size hats tend to sell for way more so folks who wear them are used to paying more for just about any hat they buy.

I'm lucky in that I wear quite a small hat (7 or 71/8), but I'd be prepared to spend several hundred dollars on something I really wanted (assuming the hat budget was in good shape at the time :) ) - I have done so a couple of times, one I still have and the other has moved on.

Both of those closed on Feb 4, both for $152.50. I believe the Borsalino Grand Luxe felt will be at least comparable in quality to the 7X Beaver 50, and maybe better.

John, I have a nice Marque Grand Luxe and used to have a 7X like the one Jeff just bought.

It is hard to compare the two because they are such different hats. The MGL has incredibly soft, suede like felt and is very dressy, while the Stetson 50 is more workmanlike - the felt isn't quite as nice as the older 7X's but still better than a lot of hats of the time. I don't believe the MGL contains much (if any) beaver content.

Certainly in the rough weather we've had of late, I'd have worn the Stetson without a care in the world, but I'd leave the MGL indoors.

Honestly, I think you and Jeff both got your hands on rather nice hats!

I won this Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe from the bay last night.

I noticed it and enjoyed the range of sizes in the description - from Punti 5 to a circumference measurement which would be a generous 6 3/4. I have had several of these and many more have been posted here. The ones I've handled have run small. 2 1/2" brim should be right. The darkening on the felt might have kept the competition at bay. I hope it is less noticeable than it appears in the photos and that it fits you well. They are very well made velour finish hats.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Smoothie, with men's hats it depends a lot on the size. Larger size hats tend to sell for way more so folks who wear them are used to paying more for just about any hat they buy.

I'm lucky in that I wear quite a small hat (7 or 71/8), but I'd be prepared to spend several hundred dollars on something I really wanted (assuming the hat budget was in good shape at the time :) ) - I have done so a couple of times, one I still have and the other has moved on.

If it is N.O.S. ( new old stock) and depending on the hat itself ,you know the style ,color rarity etc etc., speaking for
myself , I would pay $100.00 or even more again depending on the variables , but most often I try to never pay over
$50.00 for run of the mill hats even in good condition.

Perhaps other's will also chime in and give you a better idea.

Thanks Frank and DJ. I'm looking at a 20s cloche now for 300 bucks and can afford it, but I am so used to great deals that the miser in me is holding me back. It's not an auction so the price is set to that. It's a straw 1920s cloche. I am used to paying under 200 for cloches in pristine condition but this seller is tempting me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld