Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I used to hate snipers, but then I realized something. Here's the bottom line....

It doesn't matter if you lost the auction to a sniper in the last second or to a non sniper in the last minute. The reality is that the sniper had a high bid than you. If you really want an item, then be prepared to pay a maximum for it. I remember when I joined ebay about 13 years ago. I got deals left and right every time I bid. Since then, there are not only more people on ebay but they have a much larger global presence. I don't use a sniper program, but instead just bid in the last 10 seconds with my maximum bid. If people bid me up to, but not over, my maximum bid and I win the auction, I'm happy to have not lost the item. If I bid the maximum that I was going to pay and get outbid, then it wasn't meant to be. Losing in the last second or in the last day of the auction is still......losing.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is my strategy as well. Figure a price in your head and stick with it.

I used to hate snipers, but then I realized something. Here's the bottom line....

It doesn't matter if you lost the auction to a sniper in the last second or to a non sniper in the last minute. The reality is that the sniper had a high bid than you. If you really want an item, then be prepared to pay a maximum for it. I remember when I joined ebay about 13 years ago. I got deals left and right every time I bid. Since then, there are not only more people on ebay but they have a much larger global presence. I don't use a sniper program, but instead just bid in the last 10 seconds with my maximum bid. If people bid me up to, but not over, my maximum bid and I win the auction, I'm happy to have not lost the item. If I bid the maximum that I was going to pay and get outbid, then it wasn't meant to be. Losing in the last second or in the last day of the auction is still......losing.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Not to beat a dead horse here, but... :deadhorse

I don't use sniping programs either-- keeps me from bidding more than I really want to. Best not to make too much of an emotional investment in a hobby which, for me, I'd like to keep enjoying! Ultimately, you just gotta decide what the hat is worth to you, and feel good about it, win or lose.

howardeye

Practically Family
I agree. There wasn't anything on eBay I have really needed. For me it is just a place to feed my lust and blow money. That is a nice looking Wormser Stingy you have! Too small for me though.

Walt

One of the Regulars
I can see that for a 70's OR in decent shape but not a moth eaten, badly re-creased beater like this....No real difference in 70's OR & what is currently offered.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have paid that much for that one either. But OR's even in poor shape tend to get more money. Doesn't make sense but it happens fairly often....

Mystic

Practically Family

It doesn't matter if you lost the auction to a sniper in the last second or to a non sniper in the last minute.

Yep..

I don't like the snipping "tactic" it'self. but, it's part of the game. I have done that myself. Sometimes intentionally sometimes raising my previous bid.

what bothers me the most about snipping is ebay allowing a program to be set for snipping on their site.

It's my opinion that ebay is wrong to allow this type of program to undermine (buyers) bidders.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Got a chuckle out of that one !

I am probably guilty of being that a-hole at least once or twice. You have to bid enough so that the person who outbids you becomes a fool rather than an a-hole.

Keep at it and remember to hold your bid until the final moments.

Hello everyone, hope all is well .

The first quote of " some a hole stole my hat at the last minute " cracked me up :eusa_clap

The second quote of Alan's is definitely me , I snipe all the time at the last second it's the only way to go !

Like the saying goes " you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold them ".

I sneak in a bid with 3 or 4 seconds left, just enough to keep the bid low ,but also just enough time for me to sneak in a higher bid than the other guy ,but with seconds on my side everyone else runs out of time and I keep the bid low and score the hat .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Yep..

I don't like the snipping "tactic" it'self. but, it's part of the game. I have done that myself. Sometimes intentionally sometimes raising my previous bid.

what bothers me the most about snipping is ebay allowing a program to be set for snipping on their site.

It's my opinion that ebay is wrong to allow this type of program to undermine (buyers) bidders.

How exactly does sniping undermine other bidders? Sniping does not guarantee a win, I have sniped and the person who put in a bid days before the end of the auction still beat me because they simply bidded higher than my bid. The auction is won by the highest bidder so how does sniping change that?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
How exactly does sniping undermine other bidders? Sniping does not guarantee a win, I have sniped and the person who put in a bid days before the end of the auction still beat me because they simply bidded higher than my bid. The auction is won by the highest bidder so how does sniping change that?

and snipers are bidders too :)

fashion frank

One Too Many
They didn't "steal" your hat, the hat belongs to whoever bids the highest. If people get mad at snipers, they have no one but themselves to blame for not bidding the MAXIMUM that they want to pay. I snipe to avoid emotional bidders who may want to drag me into a bidding war and drive up the price to unreasonable amounts. The sniping service I use is worth every penny because of the savings.

Caramel Smoothie I like your style !

That is just how I see it nobody " stole your hat " ,you just have to be smart and pony up and get the drop on the next
guy or gal as the case may be .

I noticed that you and others have been talking about a service or program so I had to ask , because I just do it myself at the keyboard , I didn't even know there was a service or a program , I trust that you will enlighten me on this subject
matter.

All the Best , Fashion Frank

Mystic

Practically Family

Hello Smoothie....I don't see any good coming from further discussion of this subject in a format such as this.

I have my thoughts and others have their thoughts. I'm not likely to change anyone's thoughts and they are not likely to change mine.

If I could properly make myself understood in a short concise written form.....I would have that 1920's Blue Borso I asked for in a letter to Santa :)

howardeye

Practically Family
Frank!!! I will not allow you to snipe on my eBay auctions. If I find out you are involved in the bidding I will close the auction, let you have it for the opening bid, and give you a cash refund when I mail you the item! I am working on a name for this new type of gaming!

I thought everyone knew that eBay is a sport!

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Your killing me :)

Frank!!! I will not allow you to snipe on my eBay auctions. If I find out you are involved in the bidding I will close the auction, let you have it for the opening bid, and give you a cash refund when I mail you the item! I am working on a name for this new type of gaming!

I thought everyone knew that eBay is a sport!

Hey I like the "cash refund " option sounds interesting .

I also thought up a name for your type of e bay bidding :: The Free Bay Wheel Of Fortune !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82