Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Meh, doesn't really bother me too much. To be completely honest I'm pretty low on funds at the moment. Also, I kinda knew getting outbidded was imminent. Once I get a job and some money then I'll be able to afford a quality hat.

BP - don't be so sure, there are often great bargains to be had if you are patient. Sometimes a really nice hat seems to go completely unnoticed and someone gets it for a super price.

Of course, next time you probably shouldn't post about it here until you've won (or maybe lost) the hat.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stetson strat , mint except for a little fading on side where it looks like there may have been a wider ribbon on it at one time?
fa234ceb.jpg

8384156f.jpg

9a1a1af7.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
I just asked him if he'd buy a pair of shoes without knowing the size. I'm sure he'll get right back to me.

I saw an auction the other day for a vintage hat that said something like "No size tag but hat will fit most heads". I asked them to measure the opening and never heard back from them.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars

Hey now, that's an ORIGINAL REPLICA! And the seller thinks Stetson PROBABLY didn't make too many of them. Probably only a few hundred, so you just watch it! Also the damage on the box was on there when he got the hat. He didn't do it. In fact, he researched somewhere, that he can't remember, that all the boxes came that way. To reflect Clint's rough and tumble personality. So really he should be asking for more, but he's passing the savings along to YOU! : D

He even set up a web page telling the story and legend of the hat.

http://www.tyler-mason.com/

Also it seems someone put this same hat up on ebay two years ago and was posted on FL

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?49621-Stetson-Pale-Rider

ALSO!!!

http://www.knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/palerider.html

ALSO!! (From the Clint Eastwood forums in 2009)

"I feel I need to explain something to everyone and get something straight. I have watched Pale Rider easily over 2000 times. I'm very, very familiar with this hat. Band size, brim width, everything. I just thought I'd put it up here to see if anyone was interested. And no the $20,000.00 isn't a typo.

This is just like the Jackson Barrett auto auctions. None of those cars are worth anywhere close to the values that those people pay for them. So for a while what's wrong with me trying to make as much as I can. I see clothes, cars, magazines, houses and everything else on ebay and craigslist all the time that is priced well beyond what it's worth.

The story about this hat on the link is true. No one that I spoke to could really verify Stetson made the thing. And if they did how many. I have never seen another one like it.

If someone has one, please send me a picture. If someone worked for Stetson, please call me so we can discuss it.

For the meantime I just wanted to try and sell it. If I'm to high for now after a while I'll lower the price.

I feel to a hat collector it might be worth something. I'm not saying it's the hat Clint is wearing. If it was I'd have over a million on it because to me that's what it's worth.

Thanks..."

Looks like he came down in price a little from the original 20k XD

Last edited:

Walt

One of the Regulars

Yeah, that guy has been trying to sell that for some time. Last time I recall seeing it I think it was $4k or so that he wanted....Seems to me another of these maybe a size smaller sold on the bay a few months back for a few hundred. Also more than I would be willing to pay, but certainly more realistic!

This guy sure has big dreams!

Now if the hat had actually been worn by Eastwood during the making of the movie thousands would be realistic but for a copy....I don't think so!

Walt

One of the Regulars

BTW, isn't it in your size? Maybe you should make him a "realistic" offer. Might look good on you. If nothing else the offer might help him to start come down to reality of what the hat can realistically get.

Either that or maybe he can get Eastwood to wear that hat (and take a picture of him wearing it) and also get Eastwood to sign the hat and then it might be worth more....

Heck...I might make him an offer as it does have style, but maybe not as the amount I would likely offer would probably be taken as an insult by him.

In any case you are right that it is worthy of a chuckle! :D

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Lots of 7 5/8 or 7 1/2 lids on Ebay right now. I just search "Vintage Fedora 7 5/8" or "Vintage Fedora 7 1/2" and I've noticed a larger selection lately. It comes and goes. The one thing I have noticed is that the price for felts has not dropped even in this heat. I read on here a while back the price of felts was lower in the summer but I'm not seeing it this year. Some people are really proud of their hats. I had a lucky streak and picked up several of my bucket list hats on Ebay or here from loungers for a reasonable price over the last few monhs so it's hard for me to look at a hat with a starting price of $285.

TPD166

One Too Many
Well, here is more positive story from ebay (after a streak of bad experiences in the past couple of weeks). I was doing a hat-related internet search and came across a picture of a great looking Resistol straw that I had never seen before - it was on the Resistol website in their "catalog." After unsucessfully trying to find the hat elsewhere, I determined the photo was just part of their archives and it was actually from the 1960s - very disappointing. But the next night I did a Resistol ebay search (not looking for that hat) and the third listing was actually one of those straws, like new, in my size, with a starting price of $14! For some reason it was a 10-day auction. I don't normally do this, but I sent the seller a message and asked if she had a "Buy-It-Now" price that she would sell the hat for. About an hour later she sent me a message and said had added a BIN option for the starting price of $14. Obviously I bought that hat and was thrilled that I found a hat I never expected to ever find, in my size, and for an amazing price. But, it doesn't stop there - she sent me a message last night that she had over-estimated the shipping fee (it was $10) and was refunding me $3! Don't you wish you could find more sellers like that?

Walt

One of the Regulars
...The one thing I have noticed is that the price for felts has not dropped even in this heat. I read on here a while back the price of felts was lower in the summer but I'm not seeing it this year. .....

Yeah there definitely doesn't seem to be a recession with pricing of vintage fedoras and especially with 7 3/8 or larger sizes! Last summer it did seem the prices of fur hats went down a little. But this past winter straw hats were also getting good money (in general) so seasons don't seem to matter on ebay anymore....

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
? the bullets are the wrong way round. How can you slide them out and use them if they are facing up? Now thats silly. ;)
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld