Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
PabloElFlamenco said:
6299_11.jpg

I'm now trying to get some information about the hatter: Frank H. Lee Co., Fifth Avenue, New York.
There's a lot of 1940-1950 posters around.
Any one who has a hat from this company, please comment.
Any one who knows this company, or its history, ...I'm all ears...

Paul

Paul,

Here's a thread on vintage hatmakers: HERE . About halfway down the page, Lee is listed.

I personally like Lee hats. I don't care for the ribbed ribbon....otherwise I'd have gone for this one. :p However, looking at that baby again, I wish I HAD made a bid.

Lee fits me just right and has always been true to size for me.

Congrats on a real beauty.

If it doesn't fit you when it arrives, PM me and I'll make you an offer.

Randy

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
HatDoc said:
Paul,

Here's a thread on vintage hatmakers: HERE . About halfway down the page, Lee is listed.

I personally like Lee hats. I don't care for the ribbed ribbon....otherwise I'd have gone for this one. :p However, looking at that baby again, I wish I HAD made a bid.

Lee fits me just right and has always been true to size for me.

Congrats on a real beauty.

If it doesn't fit you when it arrives, PM me and I'll make you an offer.

Randy

Thanks for your tip, Randy.
In fact, I stumbled upon that "Lee" history page just earlier today. Seems like some rather important brands just disappeared and didn't stick in hardly anybody's mind...
In case the hat doesn't work out, I'll grant you "privileged buyer" status by PM, I'm not into hats for business...

Paul

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PabloElFlamenco said:
I won this oldie...
from the eBay offer:

"...a very sharp vintage 1940's men's chocolate brown fedora sized 7 1/8" with a 2 1/2" brim.

The markings on the inside headband are "BEAVER NAP TWENTY", "Lee Fifth Avenue Water Bloc, Gold Label,

Du Pont water repellent, shape retaining" and "THE GATELY SHOPS 241 Michigan Ave. Detroit.

The price tag on the inside headband is $20.00.

The hat is in excellent condition. I don't see any signs of wear""

6299_11.jpg

640f_01.jpg

I'm now trying to get some information about the hatter: Frank H. Lee Co., Fifth Avenue, New York.

Paul
What a fantastic hat.....:eusa_clap

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
You should be jealous!

Her hat is nicer than yours! BTW, I was the minimum bidder on that hat, so if it doesn't work out for her I will offer you 11 dollars, so you can see a profit!

Bob Smalser said:
This was taken outdoors without the flash and is accurate. Silver Belly, I guess. That's what the factory sticker beneath the sweatband said, anyway. The felt is surprisingly soft and silky for a middlin-grade hat.....perhaps because it's an older hat.

351939511.jpg

My wife liked it so much I just bought her one in a "Beaver 100" quality (whatever that is) for a whopping $10.50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170293509388

6d50_1.JPG

6e1c_1.JPG

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Thanks Bolthead and Stoney; I'm very curious to receive the hat and see how it looks in reality. Contact with seller was excellent; it belonged to her 92 year old dad...I always like to reassure sellers that their hats will be in good hands... When the hat arrives, I'll post my usual pixies.

Golden Earache: if the Resistol 100 is anywhere near its Stetson namesake, you got yourself a fantastic deal at the price you paid. It looks like a superb hat, really:eusa_clap

OOPS: An earache is what I get from congratulating the wrong person! Sorry... Golden Bob Smalser: you the lucky one!

citRon

A-List Customer
portolan said:
I can't buy a fedora for the life of me! Phil

I'm right there with ya, pal! I have had zero luck on ebay. I thought I was going to snag a grey Borsalino yesterday for a very fair price...but nooooooo!

carter

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/PabloElFlamenco/6299_11.jpg
What a fantastic hat.....:eusa_clap
Paul, That Lee appears to be at or near the highest quality made by Lee. Just a fabulous hat with a wonderful ribbon treatment. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

citRon

A-List Customer
Whoa Momma!!

The spell must be broken! I finally won a hat off ebay! I was looking for a shorter brimmed dark brown hat, and saw this one- I like the wide ribbon.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200299360695

Vanderbilt 'Beaver Fifteen'. $24.95...whatcha think? Anyone have info on Vanderbilt? I'm wondering if this is indeed Beaver felt, or 15% beaver, or the beaver is just the model name...?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
It's not 30's or 40's, it's more like 50's or 60's. Fifteen was the original selling price. It might have some beaver in it, but probably not a large percentage. I like it. If you like it, that's what really counts.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I'm the seller of the green Resistol. It is definitely green, a dark forest green I guess. It has grey hairs in it and is not pounced down to a fine finish so it is a bit "fuzzy".

Layoff forces sale, not so much due to the lost income but more due to the lost closet space I had at my office.

Sale of this one,the Staalmeester, and the Knox Superfine homburg gets me almost down to 3 doz felts.

What is the hat poverty level these days?

Topdog

Familiar Face
PabloElFlamenco said:
I won this oldie...
from the eBay offer:

"...a very sharp vintage 1940's men's chocolate brown fedora sized 7 1/8" with a 2 1/2" brim.

The markings on the inside headband are "BEAVER NAP TWENTY", "Lee Fifth Avenue Water Bloc, Gold Label,

Du Pont water repellent, shape retaining" and "THE GATELY SHOPS 241 Michigan Ave. Detroit.

The price tag on the inside headband is $20.00.

The hat is in excellent condition. I don't see any signs of wear""

6299_11.jpg

640f_01.jpg

Paul

Just a question I have. Is the bow on the wrong side or is that a womans hat?

IThis is twice now that I've seen the bow on the female side, Dick Cheney was the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe