Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay hack stealing images from Thedi Leathers

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
How do we stop this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222450848543

I reported the seller thru the eBay report an item tab but I wonder how seriously they look at these things. I don't know if Thedi is still present here but hopefully if he is he'll see this and take action. I saw this same set of images on Etsy as well. They didn't even crop out the "T"!! Blatant rip-off!!!

I finally got eBay to take positive action on my copyright claim.

After going back and forth with their customer service a number of times after using the more obvious "report item" link on the listing, I got nowhere. eBay just replied to my emails with phony sympathy, saying that they were looking into the matter, that they were taking internal action, but never took the images or the listing down. I repeatedly insisted that they either remove the images or remove the listing, and got nowhere with them. Eventually, after threatening legal action several times, they advised that I should contact them by phone, and stopped replying to my emails.

I never did call them, but I did eventually stumble upon their copyright infringement program. Here's how it works:

1. Download and fill out their Notice of Copyright Infringement form. You have to fill the form out completely, but it is not necessary that your copyrighted image be registered with the copyright office.
  2. Send the completed and signed NOCI.pdf to vero@ebay.com
  3. Within three hours of receiving my email, they had removed the listing.
I don't know why their regular "report item" process didn't automatically refer me to their Vero program, it would have been a much better experience if they had done so in the first place. But I am satisfied with the responsiveness of the Vero program.

If you have no life and/or enjoy being vigilant against these fraudsters, have at it.

Last edited:
I have also noticed aero images on chinese websites. I guess there are people who actually believe they will receive such jackets. Pathetic.

Ozzy Leathers actually sells the real deal so it's not all bad. The vintage leather jacket scene is blooming in China, last I heard.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
This eBay seller lists their location as Plano TX which is basically a suburb of N Dallas. If one checks their less than stellar feedback, a typical feedback description is "not the exact one pictured. Also ships from the UAE, not TX." Another said "product is not from Texas, but from Pakistan !!! VERY expensive shipping." Another said "poorly made and very thin leather, returned to seller" and another "Didn t never ship the item,but refunded some of my money!!Dont Trust!!" and so on. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe