Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dust & Dust Mites in Hats. Remedies?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I have a pretty bad allergy to dust mites, which tend to inhabit, well dusty places such as pillowcases, feathers, etc., and I was curious if a felt (beaver or rabbit) fedora collects dust or dust mites easily?

Mav

A-List Customer
FedoraFan112390 said:
I have a pretty bad allergy to dust mites, which tend to inhabit, well dusty places such as pillowcases, feathers, etc., and I was curious if a felt (beaver or rabbit) fedora collects dust or dust mites easily?

Dust, yes; dust mites, no idea.
Brush 'em.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
They collect them about as easy as regularly worn clothing in my experience. Maybe a bit less, since it is on your head. It doesn't make much difference, a lot of the time.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I've heard it recommended, that you can take a child's stuffed animal, and put it in a plastic ziplock bag, and pop it in the freezer. I don't know if the method actually works, or not. If it works, I suspect it would work with a hat,

Mr E Train

One Too Many
James71 said:
I brush whichever one I am wearing in the morning before I leave the house. They appear as clean as a whistle.

(assuming whistles are clean)

When people say "clean as a whistle," they forget that a whistle is full of spit. --George Carlin

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I don't usually recommend brushing hats to people who are allergic to dust. It tends to move the dust from the surface into the air where it can be more easily inhaled.

Once the hat has been cleaned it should be stored in a box when not being worn. If you are going to brush it you should wear a good dust mask.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Bump. This is the only thing stopping me from buying a fedora, as I have an allergy to dust mites. If someone could try to alleviate my fears about this, it'd be great.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Bump. This is the only thing stopping me from buying a fedora, as I have an allergy to dust mites. If someone could try to alleviate my fears about this, it'd be great.
If I were in your shoes I would get a fedora, brush and steam it thoroughly, and put it in one of those medium sized sealed clear Tupperware type plastic containers I use to store stuff in the attic that I buy at Target. You could even rig up the internals of a hat box in there and use the sealed container as your hat box. At least then you wouldn't have to brush and steam it as often. On second thought, maybe just keeping it in any hatbox would work just as well. :)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
use a vacuum with the small brush attachment. Or ask a friend or significant other to kindly brush it for you. Store in a box.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Any recommendations for the best type or brand of brush? Thanks!

A brand new shoe polish brush works perfectly well, in my experience (has to be new, don't want gunk on it), but others might offer a more expensive option.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
A brand new shoe polish brush works perfectly well, in my experience (has to be new, don't want gunk on it), but others might offer a more expensive option.

Any clean horsehair brush should work. Dark for dark hats and light for light hats.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I use a shoe polish brush as well. I bought a new one specifically for my hats. It's a brown Kiwi brand, and it works fine. If I don't brush them for several days, I can kick up a nice little cloud of dust.

randooch

I'll Lock Up

Here's mine. Works like a charm!
DSCF0434.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe