Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

during the golden era what was worn at a horse farm

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Thanks. I was looking for a horse related forum.

I've been looking for a ski jacket that would work for riding. You'd think a company like Patagonia, as outdoorsy as they are would make something that would work? They make clothes for climbing, skiing, kayaking, hiking, and everything else.

Right now, I'm using a North Face Denali jacket. Which stays out from between me and the saddle, if I cinch up the bottom. It would be better if it had side vents, and would cinch at the waist, instead of the bottom of the coat. It's warm enough, but it's fleece. So naturally, all the dirt comes off the horse, and goes into the fleece, before I make it out the door.

bookster1uk

Vendor
Lone_Ranger said:
Thanks for the input!

I've bought stuff from Dover Saddlery before. The Tailored Sportsman breeches are great.

Most of the stuff in the catalog, is geared toward ladies. Dover's idea of a "large" coat, is a 42. I need a 44, or 46, depending on how the sleeves fit. I got a great tweed hacking coat from Bookster. It's is a bit too nice for everyday hacking.

I've bought a pair of Heritage riding gloves from Dover, and the "large" was a size 9. Which may be "large" for a woman, but for a guy it's a medium. (And about a size too small for me) I ended up going to a police supply company, and getting a pair of Hatch gloves, that were designed for the K-9 officer. They feature padded fingers, and leather reinforcement for holding a leash that will also be good for working reins.

I bought Dehner boots because because I was too tall, and my calves too big for anything "off-the-rack." That actually worked out pretty well.

Speaking of police supply. There is a company called Taylor's Leatherwear that makes traditional police leather jackets. Motor officers use them, and I've seen them used by mounted units. There's pros, and cons, to that. The leather jacket would be water resistant, and warm. If they get horse dirt on them, you can just wipe them off, rather than launder them. But, they quite a bit heavier than a similar modern fabric. They are usually waist length, so there's still nothing keeping your legs warm, and dry. Hoping to avoid that, because it would essentially be a motorcycle jacket.

What I need is a ski coat with side vents like a hunt coat. Barbour? I may have to look into that.
For the last 2 seasons the answer for me has been a Mountain Horse Legend Jacket, Made in China of course, designed in Sweden, it ticks all the boxes for me, adjustable vents, loads of pockets, underarm ventilation zips,etc. You can tell its made to a price ( about 140 gbp but I got mine for 100), but I reckon it'll do a third season. Barbours are out for me, too much like a greenhouse once you are underway,though I do use a full length Aussie coat ( RM Williams) if its raining stair rods for our long distance adventures in the forest. A hacker in a tweed jacket is a very rare sight over here these days, its all Musto ( but mainly cheap copies) Blousons, half chaps, cheap boots by companies like Dublin, though Ariat English style zip front boots are popular with those that can afford them. I confess, freely, that I love American riding clothing, I have full length chaps made by Barnstable ( no fringes!) I use Australian boots both jodhpur style and full length polo style( Ian Harold), and for mucking around I have a penchant for some western boots which I find extremely practical and comfortable ( well of course they would be!), the other nice thing is they look great with a bookster tweed jacket and jeans!
The formal English riding attire is almost alive and well at the shows and events such as hunting, but there are quality and variety gaps, which is good for us as makers.
Nice to see some proper Hereford cattle in this thread too, we used to breed the original pure English ones and still have an interest.
Our horse 'herd' , which is our only indulgence and relaxation outside of our 'tweed' business consists of a 3/4 bred Irish Draught (my mount), A 24 year old very well bred Arab ( American bloodlines) who is as good as new, and a Connemara.We live on the edge of the Forest of Dean which is something like being in England in the 50's, quite a privilige on this overcrowded island

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Bookster, I had forgotten that you are a member here.

Your tweed jacket turned out great! Though it's too nice for riding.

I've looked at the Mountain Horse jackets. They had a ski style jacket with side vents. As I mentioned though, They have a weird idea of "unisex" sizing. Usually a medium is a 38-40, a large 42-44. Mountain Horse says a "large" is a 42. Which is the largest size, for most of their coats. 44 is an XL to them. I'm out of their size range. My chest is a 44, but I need a 46 coat to fit my shoulders, and sleeves.

Same with Ariat. Their English field boots are sized for women. I found that Petrie made a pair tall enough, and when I ordered them, the ankle area was too narrow. The next stop was Dehner.

I do have Boulet western boots, (made in Canada) they fit well, and are well made. I'd recommend them. Though, I find the Dehner's more comfortable to walk in, when I'm not on a horse. The Dehner's have the flat composite sole, and rubber heel. The Boulet's have a traditional flat leather sole.

draws

Practically Family
Riding Attire

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I'll introduce myself. I have been riding since I was in college (about 35 years) focusing on hunter/jumper. I am now later on in life and continue to ride. My interest has changed to riding one the flat doing the standard walk, trot and canter with an occasional fast canter.

I am now a member of the National Lancers based in Framingham, Massachusetts. The unit is part of the Mass. Organized Militia and we are the Governor's Horse Guard. We also are noted for doing the annual Paul Revere Ride in Boston. We are located at http://www.nationallancers.org
I am the webmaster.

Our everyday uniforms consist of the following:
Khaki Breeches (WWII Style) with the flared thighs
Black Sam Brown Belt
Army Dress Green Class A Tunic
Gauntlet Gloves
Black Field Boots
Spurs

Our Full dress uniform consists of
Red Tunic with Blue Plastron front
Polish Tschapka (designed for the Lancers)
Black Belt with Lancer designed buckle
Dark blue flared breeches with Yellow stripe
Black Field Boots with Spurs

I personally enjoy the fit of the flared breeches and have many pairs of
them for summer and winter riding consisting of the heavier army pinks, lighter
weight army khaki and wool WW1 through WWII cavalry variations (for off-duty riding).

Having ridden for a number of years using the tighter fitting stretch breeches, I personally would not go back to them whatever the situation since they are just not as good to ride in, from a guys perspective. Since all of the breeches I do have are from the pre-WWII time period and are of the traditional flared cut, I do wish that suppliers were more readily available both domestic and foreign.

Just my thoughts. Thanks

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Draws, Welcome to the Lounge!

Who makes your your full dress uniform? I'm interested in getting a tunic, and breeches in dark gray. Or the dark blue breeches with the yellow stripe, and gray coat.

draws

Practically Family
Lone Ranger

Lone_Ranger said:
Draws, Welcome to the Lounge!

Who makes your your full dress uniform? I'm interested in getting a tunic, and breeches in dark gray. Or the dark blue breeches with the yellow stripe, and gray coat.
Lone Ranger,

Thanks much. The tunics and breeches are custom made for the Lancers by Canterbury Clothing tailors in Quincy, Massachusetts. They can be Googled and either contacted on-line or by phone. They are quite good but can be rather expensive. The Lancers provide the material and they tailor the tunics and breeches for approximately $700 per uniform. I guess the price isn't so bad when one considers that the uniforms are form fitted. They also mfg police uniforms for a number of police departments in New England. Please let me know how your search goes.

draws

Practically Family
Breeches

just_me said:
While I was searching for vintage riding clothes, I found this company. They're not vintage, but they are vintage style breeches:

http://www.ohalloranco.com/designer-vintage-breeches-jodhpurs.html

(Found a better thread for this, so I'm going to put it there also.)
Just Me, thanks for the link. I have visited this site but find that their breech patterns aren't quite in line with the vintage style military patterns that I am looking for. They are more streamlined for the upper class and female segment rider of the time period. In other words, the displayed pattern would result in some gaudy looks from my compatriots, if you know what I mean.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I'm curious, and I figured this would be the place to ask.

Is it possible to have a pair of regular pants tailored into breeches? Or would that not work?

draws

Practically Family
Lone Ranger, I suppose anything is possible if you can find a tailor who knows how to do it. Making breeches has become a lost art. Much will depend on what type of breeches you are looking for and what trousers you are looking to convert. I am assuming you want a pair of vintage breeches with a flare and let's assume that you can find a tailor to do this. The pair of pants should have a fairly wide thigh area because traditional breeches could have as mugh as 30 inches of material in each thigh to start with to allow for the proper look.

Any breeches of a non-traditional cut (i.e. a narrow thigh) can probably be put together by a good vintage period tailor but they won't be vintage. Some research may be required.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Dennis,

Actually the modern, non-flared, would be better for my application. Here's my problem. Without going custom, the uniform stores are getting their breeches from the same few suppliers.

These are made by Frontline. The Dac/Wool, and 100% wool are great material. They are designed as motor officer breeches. The have a reinforced seat, which is nice. But, the knees are also reinforced, (double material) like BDU pants. The reinforced section goes below the knee, and makes the pant leg blouse funny. Maybe it wouldn't do that with motor boots, but with Spanish topped riding boots, you look like a Sci-Fi paratrooper. They olny come in LAPD blue, LASD green, and CHP tan. I need either gray, or black.

http://www.publicsafetyspecialties.com/motorcycle_breeches.htm

There are a few stores specializing in mounted units, that offer these breeches. Don't know the company that actually makes them, but they seem to come from the same place.

http://store.mountedpatrolsupply.com/memopobr.html

They look OK. They are 97% polyester, and 3% spandex. They feel and fit more like tights than breeches. The polyester is a little slippery. Of course, you can get knee patches added. I may have to settle for these, even though I don't care for the material.

draws

Practically Family
I wore my late 30s officer's breeches to the Lancer stables today for duty. Very, Very, Very cold at 15 degrees (i.e. -8C or there abouts).

This is Amigo. He is 16 years old and half Arabian.
2194311580104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2153187870104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
RE: Jacket for Riding...

For informal rides, try the Woolrich Stag Shirt, or if you need something heavier, the Stag Jacket.
The shirt is heavier than a regular shirt, but lighter than a jacket. Great warmth-to weight ratio.
Lots of places have both items on sale now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe