Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

during the golden era what was worn at a horse farm

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When my father was growing up in Wyoming on a homestead, he wore jeans, western shirts, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-PhotoPrints.html

I had a friend who's dad had a room completely done in real western stuff. Not the department store stuff but real stuff. It was amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHE496Z-Sf0&feature=related

I love Cattle Call song. It brings me back to the best trail ride ever when I was 12. I of course love riding horses. Been awhile since I have been able to do that also.
I ran across the best deal not too long ago. Vintage Sofa and chair with wagon wheels in mint condition. It was for a song and I couldn't buy it as I had no idea how to get it home. I so hate that when that happens.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Saddles and bridles and halters and blankets mostly.

Ah, you mean the people? Boots - Jodpers, shirts, jackets. Of all fashions, horse fashions change glacialy.

Sean

Familiar Face
ok srry i did not mean the western side of rideing more like at a horse track or something like that

WH1

Practically Family
If Riding
Hacking Jacket in an appropriate tweed, (not hunting pinks) or Barbour waxed jacket or vest or a quilted vest
khaki breeches with knee high english boots, preferably in russet
long sleeve shirt in tattersall check or long sleeve polo shirt no logo please
dark brown trilby hat or tweed flat cap

best examples are Kate Hepburn in Philadelphia Story, many people in Seabiscuit particularly Jeff Bridges during the courtship section when he goes riding in Mexico.

If on ground/observing
tweed suit/jacket or barbour waxed jacket
khaki/flannel wool trousers
tattersall check long sleeve shirt ro long sleeve polo shirt no logo please
appropriate shoes or boots such as ankle boots or wellingtons
dark brown trilby hat or tweed flat cap

option I use with the barbour is a heavy sweater like a mechanics sweater for cooler weather.

if you do not know how to ride avoid the riding garb as you will be considered a poser and possibly subjected to wannabe jokes:eek:

WH1

Practically Family
good to go
no insult intended you know how us horse people can be towards them that don't know which end eats and which end ....;)

what are you riding warmbloods, morgans, quarters?

You are in SC so it is probably just starting to cool I like my Filson with a light sweater or wool vest, my tweed flat cap, jeans and a pair of boots for this time of year.

WH1

Practically Family
quarter horses here also, down to 3 mares these days. Mostly reining, working cowhorse, some roping eventually want to give polo a go as well. It has always looked like a heck of a lot of fun.
back in my younger days spent time running a racing TB breeding operation and breaking colts for the track also worked with Morgans, warmbloods, and some paints.

Sean

Familiar Face
sweet i have worked cutting horses befor but what i rellly want to do is to get into dressage.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
My family owned a cattle ranch in Arkansas and in all the photos they are wearing fedoras of different styles, not a "cowboy hat" in the bunch.
FarminS.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
breeches/highboots

I would go a step further and advise nonriders to avoid them even when not around riding folk. They have developed so many negative associations of various kinds, from totalitarianism to fetish wear to just costume, that it's just not worth the impressions you may leave.

Even horsey folk have put some of the classic riding clothing off limits. Specifically, the pre WW2 Army getup with baggy breeches and brown boots is too formal for most modern riding and too casual for the rest. The Army itself had largely phased this gear out by the late 30s anyway, except for the cavalry where it was necessary.

just_me

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Even horsey folk have put some of the classic riding clothing off limits. Specifically, the pre WW2 Army getup with baggy breeches and brown boots is too formal for most modern riding and too casual for the rest. The Army itself had largely phased this gear out by the late 30s anyway, except for the cavalry where it was necessary.
Brown field boots were de rigeur in the show ring in the 70s and early 80s and are starting to be seen again. You're right about the baggy breeches though. :D

BTW, I have a TB jumper. So the hat I wear is usually a helmet. :)

Off the top of my head, here are some movies that have people in vintage riding apparel or in vintage clothing while working around horses:

Kentucky
De Lovely
Stallion Road
Top Hat (Ginger Rogers is wearing riding clothes in a scene- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHg5tl0JAA)
Seabiscuit

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
western wear

My theory <$.02> is that Western wear (for riding or any other reason) only really began to come into general use in the 1940s and later. Why?

Before WW2, you literally had over half the country living in the Eastern Time Zone. Except for Western movies and books, we were dominated by Northeast culture in a way that is hard to imagine today.

Centers of Population, 1790-1990
westward.gif

WH1

Practically Family
Fletch,
a possible reason for the late adoption of western style wear by the eastern horse establishment was the fact that most "cowboy" gear and clothing was developed/adopted specifically as work wear and was (still is to some degree) very regional. Being work wear the eastern horsey set (old money) assigned it negative connotations and it was not correct for their riding styles specifically european influenced dressage, hunter, polo, saddle seat, etc. The rise of the western movie and television series in the 1940's/50's definately led to the spread of the western dude look (think Tom Mix/Roy Rogers, fringed jackets, suits etc.)across the US and a huge tourist trade in dude ranch vacations. (That would be an interesting thread all its own, btw.) You really didn't see true "cowboy/western clothing such as wranglers, ropers, etc. hit the mainstream conscience until the 1980's/90's led by popular figures such as George Strait, Garth Brooks, and movies like Urban Cowboy. Also the rise of rodeo and the Pro Bull Riders Association in the mainstream media. Just my opinion.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
just_me said:
Off the top of my head, here are some movies that have people in riding apparel or working around horses in vintage clothing:

Kentucky
De Lovely
Stallion Road
Top Hat (Ginger Rogers is wearing riding clothes in a scene- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHg5tl0JAA)
Seabiscuit

Off the top of my head

Notorius
Marnie
Out of Africa

And from not that long ago......if the 80's count as the "Golden Era"

c8454-181.jpg

"Sir Ronald" and The Lady.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads