Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I Love that 47 chevy up there. Here's my 50 Plymouth Special Deluxe . I've had if for three years, drove it like you see it for a year before I lost a main bearing. A Friend of mine did the repairs and suggested I get rid if it, not confident the new main would last. I decided to swap the three speed tranny for a s-10 five speed with a ford rear axle, to reduce the rpm and motor strain. The main lasted about two thousand miles and still failed. Now she's in the shop getting a 350 chevy transplant!
dscf2321v.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Cool car. The 350 swap doesn't do much for me, but I understand the reasons for doing so (power/parts/reliability). I've seen slant sixes put into these cars quite successfully, so that would have probably been my first choice if ditching the flathead.

-Dave

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I hear ya there, I loved that straight six on a single cherry bomb. Nothing like it! But...I live way out in the country with 40 miles of clear highway drivin to anywhere, those old 90 horses just didn't have it in them anymore. I picked up the 350 crate motor sittin in a rotted suburban for 400 bucks and it's only got 8 grand on it. I really want to drive this car so I've got to make go reliably and affordably and I'm not a mechanic. So now she's my Custom not my resto!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Thanks...so am I ! Here's a few more pics
img1633ei.jpg

img1631g.jpg

I've also been working on the interior, door panels and window garnishes, I'll find the pics and get them up later.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Not too much, I already have installed 3 inch lowering block in the rear and when I need new front tires I purchased a slightly small tire to bring the front down a bit. Eventually I'll bring the front down some more with dropped spindles. I love all the chrome on the car so nothing to do there except maybe add some more, maybe some fog lamps . The interior was original but faded, stained and dry rotted so I've made new vinyl door panel, new carpet and I repainted the window garnishes.
You're not really going to customize it heavily, are you? I like those how they sit, albeit perhaps lowered a bit.

I'd love to own a '50 Dodge Meadowbrook, myself.

-Dave

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Not too much, I already have installed 3 inch lowering block in the rear....

Great car and kudos for saving it from the scrapper. You won't get much love from this forum on hot rod mods; the majority (myself included) seem to be into preserving and enjoying antediluvian technology. The problem is you can't really go modern highway speeds with those old powertrains without risking spun bearings and the like. And you can't go 1940s speeds without risking rear-ending!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
That is the dilema. Not into hot roddin either but I don't have the wallet to collect and put on a shelf, I wanna drive it and I mean every day! Hard to do with an old drivetrain in a modern town. No need for speed but the price was right on the v8.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Still has the original drums on the front and the drums on the 94 ford ranger rear axle. I'm not one for speed so that'll do till I scratch up some more cash for a brake upgrade, probably go with disc up front when I pick up the dropped spindles. I'm also hoping to add some seat belts this winter, I bought the four door so I could cruise with the family but it's kinda scary thinking about what happens in an accident. Pulling the motor and the interior(seats and carpet) this weekend, seems like a good time to bolt in some belts.
One thing always leading to another with a project like this, soon you're in WAY over your head and there's no turning back. Huh...kinda like my hat collection...and my razor collection...and my pocket knife collection...and my......you get the idea!

Last edited:

kpreed

One of the Regulars
I have owned a dozen (12) Plymouths from 1940 to 1955 and not to be a wet blanket on this, but I never dropped a V-8 in one without making a new Firewall. My 1940 Coupe has 2 Stromberg 97s and a split manifold with 2 glasspacks. With an over-drive tranny from my 55, Freeway speeds are no problem. Now stopping...
My 1940:
img037.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
Still has the original drums on the front and the drums on the 94 ford ranger rear axle. I'm not one for speed so that'll do till I scratch up some more cash for a brake upgrade, probably go with disc up front when I pick up the dropped spindles.

Back when I was young and simple I put a 351W in a Shoebox Ford. "I'm not going to go fast" (Hah!) so drums and maybe a power booster will be all I need 'til I can afford decent brakes.

After I ran a red at a busy intersection stomping on faded brakes :eek: and miraculously missing everything, my wife turned to me and not so calmly persuaded me of the virtues decent brakes. I wasn't going fast either:eek:

Do the brakes. Dont wait.

Last edited:

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I have owned a dozen (12) Plymouths from 1940 to 1955 and not to be a wet blanket on this, but I never dropped a V-8 in one without making a new Firewall. My 1940 Coupe has 2 Stromberg 97s and a split manifold with 2 glasspacks. With an over-drive tranny from my 55, Freeway speeds are no problem. Now stopping...
My 1940:
img037.jpg
That is a beautiful 40 . I'm hearing you on the brake issue, thanks, I think I just take your word for it and do the brakes while she's all torn apart this winter! I'd hate to learn from my mistake when I can learn the lesson from your experience!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
That is a beautiful 40 . I'm hearing you on the brake issue, thanks, I think I just take your word for it and do the brakes while she's all torn apart this winter! I'd hate to learn from my mistake when I can learn the lesson from your experience!

Check out these brackets from Scarebird. They allow you to replace your 10-inch drums with 1977-88 Dodge Diplomat rotors and 1970-72 Dodge Challenger calipers.

I've got the Scarebird brackets for my Falcon, but I haven't used them yet, because I haven't tracked down a spare set of hubs.

-Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld