Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving Cap?

Gromulus

Practically Family
I just fulfilled a life-long dream (well, more like 22 years). For years I have been lusting after a Mazda MX5 Miata Convertible. I always had a dream model in mind (year/style, color, options, etc) and a 2008 power hardtop model became available that fit the bill perfectly so we jumped on it. Of course I have to share this toy with my wife but that is a small trade-off for owning this poor man's roadster!

Anyhow, I am now in the market for a driving hat. I refuse to wear a baseball cap. The neighbor across the street wears one when driving his Porsche Boxster and it just seems out of place.

I know many of you wear the wool/tweed/leather Ivy style caps fom time to time and I would like to get some opinions re. brands, styles, and suppliers. I have a couple wool Tilley hats I wear during the worst winter weather and they make an Ivy cap as well. This model has the fold down ear flaps but I doubt those will be necessary for fair-cool weather driving.

Years ago I tried a cap on and was told by several close friends and family members that it made me look "like I just got off the boat". I am hoping that at this stage of my life I can get away with the look somewhat better.

Any feedback is most appreciated!

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Congratulations on the new car. I've done pretty well with some of the Kangol caps, particularly those that are made in England. They have a very broad product line and you should be able to find something that appeals to you. Borsalino has some very nice ivys as well but are somewhat pricey.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Well done on the car.

I would keep in mind that it is a very modern incarnation of the roadster, therefore you should wear something you're comfortable with rather than trying to achieve a classical "roadster driver" look.

You may find that it can be a bit draughty in cooler weather, and that a white silk scarf will be a welcomed addition to your wardrobe ;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Years ago I tried a cap on and was told by several close friends and family members that it made me look "like I just got off the boat".

And what's wrong with that?

1ae6a251.jpg

Gromulus

Practically Family
Thanks for the feedback fmw, Saint-Just, and zetwal. I discovered "The Cap Faction" thread so that will be tonight's reading.

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, Hat People is a favorite of mine, and you'll see plenty of their work in the Cap Faction Thread. But they don't do an Ivy/Cabbie style. If that is what you're after, plenty of options exist. I just got done perusing The Fedora Store's selection of caps from Stetson, and it runs 4 pages. Includes MANY of that style, as well as lots of others.

The Village Hat Shop is another with a large selection, some really good stuff there. And of course there's eBay, tons and tons of options there.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I drive a Jaguar roadster (66 E-type), and the newsboy style hat is about right. It depends on the look you want. The function of a hat should be to keep your hair from blowing all around, warmth, offering a small amount of eye shade, and keep the sun off the top of your head. So a snug fitting hat with a small front bill is what is needed. A snug fitting baseball cap will work also if that is your style. I like a small bill, so it won't accidently hit something if I am bending and looking right and left. Avoid loose fitting hats, and wide brim hats, which will blow off. Ordering without trying it on is a bit risky, as sizes vary so much. But that may be your only choice. I am lucky that there is a hat store nearby, that carries a variety of caps/hats. You can also order from here.

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/caps.html

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/irwotwhaandc.html

In the end, it is a personal choice on how you want to look. In a Miata, you could go with just about anything. What's your style?

I also ordered one of the BWear caps, and the fit was exactly right.

These Lofgren Hats from Japan look well made.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/speedway-shop/c/0000000117/

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
In the end, it is a personal choice on how you want to look. In a Miata, you could go with just about anything. What's your style?

Beautiful Jag!

My style? Not sure if I have one although my wife would say "rough around the edges". I still have a ful head of (gray) hair so the cap would just keep my hair in place, provide some shade, and a bit of warmth in cooler weather.

Thanks for the links!

T Rick

Practically Family
I drive a Jaguar roadster (66 E-type), and the newsboy style hat is about right. It depends on the look you want. The function of a hat should be to keep your hair from blowing all around, warmth, offering a small amount of eye shade, and keep the sun off the top of your head. So a snug fitting hat with a small front bill is what is needed. A snug fitting baseball cap will work also if that is your style. I like a small bill, so it won't accidently hit something if I am bending and looking right and left. Avoid loose fitting hats, and wide brim hats, which will blow off. Ordering without trying it on is a bit risky, as sizes vary so much. But that may be your only choice. I am lucky that there is a hat store nearby, that carries a variety of caps/hats. You can also order from here.

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/caps.html

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/irwotwhaandc.html

I also ordered one of the BWear caps, and the fit was exactly right.

BWear looks nice, I've not yet seen one in person, but will probably try one at some point.

Your post brings Hat People back to mind though, for two reasons. They are made to order, and to the nearest quarter inch (or is it 1/8th, I forget) of the head measurement you supply, so fit is nearly guaranteed. In addition, there is a pin and a strap in the back, so if needed the cap can be tightened a little bit. That should cover the fit issue (which is part of the wind issue).

In addition, their brims are soft. No stiffener insert, yet they have the correct look even without it. To me, this is another plus where wind is concerned. Seems like they'd be far less likely to end up airborne and separated from your head by the wind because of this.

Whichever way you go, congrats on the new car, enjoy it and drive it in good health. And please post some pics of the hat and the car once you've made a choice!

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I have a couple of "Jeff" caps found at a local Irish shop. I'm not Irish, but they still let me in.
Wool, tweed. Warm, but they breathe well. Made by Hanna Hats. Full cut, they suit my 7 5/8" dome well - lots of the Kangol, Goorin, etc. brand hats fit my head like yalmukahs.
They had stacks of 'em in various patterns and colors, as I recall. Good luck!

Gromulus

Practically Family
I have a couple of "Jeff" caps found at a local Irish shop. I'm not Irish, but they still let me in.
Wool, tweed. Warm, but they breathe well. Made by Hanna Hats. Full cut, they suit my 7 5/8" dome well - lots of the Kangol, Goorin, etc. brand hats fit my head like yalmukahs.
They had stacks of 'em in various patterns and colors, as I recall. Good luck!

I have been checking out Irish flat caps (not so crazy about the Gatsby/Newsboy style) and Hanna hats seem to be of high quality with lots of color choices. Based on yur feedback they should work on my 7 1/2 noggin. It seems I can get one directly from Ireland for the same price as in the states (shipping included) - with more color choices. I am in no hurry so the few weeks wait is not an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld