Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing a boyish figure...

blackout*betty

New in Town
Hi ladies!

I've been lurking around here for a while, reading all your very informative posts.
I need some help, I have a boyish figure (calling it an athletic build does not soften the blow, by any stretch of the imagination!),
no boobs or hips to speak of really, just pretty much up and down, uk size 6-8. I don't even have long coltish legs to make me feel better, I'm only 5ft3.
I so very wish I had an hourglass figure, or some curves to make me feel a bit femminine, as I do so love the vintage fashions (1940s - 1950s).
So I suppose what I;m asking is, does anyone have any helpful hints/tips/garments to aim for?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Emily.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Hello Betty,

I think the most important thing, whatever the outfit, is to emphasise your waist. If you are a little lacking in the hip department then a full skirt cinched in at the waist and worn with a petticoat for added shape will be really flattering. Peplums will also give the impression of shape below the waist (and are amazing!).

You may be a little too slim for foundation garments but if your waist is 26" or more a Rago waist cincher will pull you in an inch or two for extra shape. They do a model called 821 that goes down to a 24". I have a 26" waist and this pulls me in to a 24.5" - it makes quite a difference!

My other suggestion is to embrace your inner Audrey Hepburn! She didn't have a lot in the way of natural curves but nobody looked better in cigarette pants and a tied up man's shirt

4879689990_744208accb.jpg

4879689836_9fb030f65f.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to second everything that Hannah said. Another option is to embrace a style that requires a boyish figure - 1920s/flapper! Though I realize this is less practical for everyday wear.

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
oooh yayy for this thread!! I have NO curves what so ever, I tiny waist but no bum, boobs and boyish hips.

I would second eveything that MissHannah said especially about embracing you inner Hepburn.I personally always loved Miss Audrey in her capris, just so sweet!! There is a style for every shape in every era you just need to find it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
There are always padded bras and hip/butt pads, though admittedly those don't appeal to everyone! Drag queens love them though, and that's the ultimate in dressing up a boyish figure lol

MissHannah

One Too Many
Boobs are easy to pad out with vintage style bras and Audrey certainly used to some of the time. When I was young and skinny I used to take the big oval shoulder pads out of 80's jumpers and put them down the back of my tights to pad out my bum!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
My other suggestion is to embrace your inner Audrey Hepburn! She didn't have a lot in the way of natural curves but nobody looked better in cigarette pants and a tied up man's shirt

4879689990_744208accb.jpg

4879689836_9fb030f65f.jpg

I agree with this! I've finally reached a point where I am dressing for my figure, not the figure I wish I had, so I am feeling a bit evangelical about it (sorry). Revel in your slenderness! Seek all those adorable fashions that look perfect on your figure and don't look quite right with hips - the later 50s column dresses and shifts and sleek sweaters and leggings.

blackout*betty

New in Town
i am truly amazed by the quality information and the speediness of replies from you ladies!
your helpful hints have helped me no end, and never thought of comparing my frame to that of audrey!

now, my mission is now now find some lovely new threads!;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
KittyT said:
There are always padded bras and hip/butt pads, though admittedly those don't appeal to everyone! Drag queens love them though, and that's the ultimate in dressing up a boyish figure lol

Pads are very vintage, too -- some of the styles that turn up on sites catering to the DQ market actually originated in the Era as assistance for those of us of limited endowment. "Falsies" were a very common item in the '40s and '50s, and especially so during the bullet-bra era -- the example posted by Miss H. is identical to what you'd find in a Sears catalog c. 1950. Those of us who wonder how vintage gals managed to fill out the remarkable undergarments of the time can take comfort in knowing many of them required a little extra help.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I second (Third…) all the above advice- all very true!

On a daft note, you could always do what Doris Day did in ‘On Moonlight Bay’ and wear two powder puffs down your dress and if you do, do this just don’t go dancing! (Oh I love that film):rolleyes:
Don’t’ worry just ignore me and sorry for not being very sensible.
In all the old books and magazines about dressing to suit your shape and build- they always suggest ruffles and jabot type things …. Not quite sure though maybe a little too fussy. Personally I just try to emphasise my waist when ever possible.

tups x

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Tuppence said:
I second (Third…) all the above advice- all very true!

On a daft note, you could always do what Doris Day did in ‘On Moonlight Bay’ and wear two powder puffs down your dress and if you do, do this just don’t go dancing! (Oh I love that film):rolleyes:

tups x

You know, I have no idea how that film continues, but I do remember that scene!

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
I agree with this! I've finally reached a point where I am dressing for my figure, not the figure I wish I had, so I am feeling a bit evangelical about it (sorry). Revel in your slenderness! Seek all those adorable fashions that look perfect on your figure and don't look quite right with hips - the later 50s column dresses and shifts and sleek sweaters and leggings.

yayyyy you!! Its alway so much better to embrace what you have a celebrate it. Nowadays your either too fat or too skinny or too this or too that! I bet there are women out there who would kill to have your slender figure. Column dresses, shift dresses, straight leg and cigarette pants with sleek sweaters and jumpers are all great and look oh so chic ;) If you want to great a few more curves, ruffles and patterns are meant to help, and maybe layering things up might too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld