Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dramatic Pearl Harbor photo

origin10.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Very dramatic - where did you get it?

But there is something strange with the two persons/spectators in front - almost relaxed.

And it also looks like the person to the right of them just strolles through the scene with his bathtowel hanging over his shoulders - on the way to the beach, maybe?;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
there is something strange with the two persons/spectators in front - almost relaxed.
In shock, more like.
In 1941 they still would've called it shellshock.
Then again, in '41 we were still using the helmets from the last war.
It really was a long time ago. We grew up a lot in 4 years.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I've seen this before but an amazing photo nonetheless. You can see what appear to be flak bursts in the sky so the attack might still be taking place, though the airfield attacks that came first seem to be over. Perhaps the people in the photo are still too dazed and surprised to do anything.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Off course you are both right - the figures in front are propably dazed and in shock over what has just happened.
Frozen in a split of a second.
Guesse it's because we - in our so called moderne days - with movies, TV and video are used to see people running around in these situations.

But an amazing picture it is!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was stationed at Camp Smith for 2 full years (1967-69) and never got to the Arizona Memorial, an unforgivable sin. It means I have to go back. I watched them "bomb" Pearl Harbor all over again when they filmed "Tora! Tora! Tora!", and was down at Richardson Center, right on the water, once when 6 bombers flew over at tree top level. VROOOOMMM! Loud! Gave just a tiny taste of the magnitude of the whole original event. I can't see the picture, but I assume that's because my office network is blocking it out. I'll check at home tonight.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was flying in a S2N biplane over the Long Beach/L.A. harbor a few years ago and was immediately struck with how easy it was for ther Kates to launch torpedoes against stationary targets and how large those targets were. The cargo ships docked while approached at 120MPH- close to the same as the Kate- presented easy targets. The Vals would have floated down in classic dive bomb runs just as easily. At 3,000 feet the docked ships presented huge targets!

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
h86118.jpg

I've always found that one to be pretty dramatic. Hard to believe the ship under that explosion was actually put back in service and finished out the war.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Where'd the photographer run off to after taking it is my question.

After taking a photo like that, I'd get the heck out of there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld