Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this hat suit me?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I don't respond to these types of posts very often, due to the, what has to be, admittedly intensely personal nature of "What looks good on me?". There have been times, when I categorically disagree with droves of people on what looks good on someone(especially those, "What suits your proportions" charts that I despise), so I usually just say nothing. But, I thought I would have a go here, anyway.

I don't think the first picture is worth much, due to the angle and the lighting. The hat itself looks perfectly fine in your pictures, and I appear to have the strongest response here, when I say that you are looking fine, leaning towards good, in that hat, in my opinion. If I walked past you on the street, I would take note of your hat, perhaps tip mine as we crossed paths, and think nothing of it because it looks just fine on you.

In the natural light with that band, the hat looks pretty good, in my opinion.

In your "Last summer action shot" with the jacket and all, the hat looks like it is seating quite low, almost or actually touching your ears?

I don't think there is anything to be ashamed with here on this hat, I would wear it on occasion, if I owned it.

But, if you feel the taper is getting extreme, you have to do what you think is best. In the pictures, the taper looks the same to me, but like I said, due to the lighting and angles and all that, I can't even pretend to have an accurate say on this.

As far as the stretching but no blocking goes, there can be some signs you should look for. Dimples in the sides of the felt at the base of the crown. Drawn or collapsed sweatband on the sides from pulling. Unless they use a stretcher that has more than two sides, of course.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm guessing that Locke has used a stretcher with more than two sides. The sweat band looks fine to me.

Thanks for the comment Dewhurst, if I passed you in the street I would tip my hat as well (I'm assuming you would be wearing a hat of course). I personally like this because it is a change from the usual fedora as it is vaguely reminiscient of German country hats. As seen in the picture taken last summer, it is my hat which I would use for outdoor "adventure". I wouldn't wear it with a suit, as the one time I did I got a lot of people saying the suit looked good, the hat looked good but the combination didn't. I can still use it with my leather jacket though.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
avedwards said:
I personally like this because it is a change from the usual fedora as it is vaguely reminiscient of German country hats.

The color combo, along with the stitching does remind me of this very thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see you walking around screaming, "Heidi!".

Oh, and you're assumption would be most correct. I never leave the house without a hat.:D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
In that case I will make sure that should I ever meet you on the street I will where this hat, some lederhosen and hold a glass of beer and greet you with "Guten Tag mein Herr".

:eek:fftopic: And just in case anyone accuses me of being a sterotyper or anti-German, I am half German and I am simply trying to make a harmless joke about the German sterotype, which only applies in Bavaria though. So no angry PMs please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe