Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

univibe88

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:
:eek:fftopic:

Do I recall correctly that while states can set the age limit, certain Federal funding is made dependent on keeping the age limit at 21? Thus, states feel compelled to toe the "gubmint's" line?

Yes, Federal Highway Transportation funds. The money is significant and states would be unable to maintain their roads without it.

I don't know for a fact, but my guess is that every state has gone to 21 in order to keep this money. I do know that Louisiana was one of the last hold outs and did make the change due to this federal extortion.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

Similar to our health care funding. Constitutionally, health care is a provincial responsibility, but the Canada Health Act provides federal funding to the provinces IF AND ONLY IF the provinces maintain "universality", i.e., socialized medicine, and prohibit private health care (unless, of course, you are the premier of a province and a millionaire who can afford to fly to Florida for heart surgery, which happens to be available in Canada).

Oh, I really like rye whisky...

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Nora: Is that my drink over there?
Nick: What are you drinking?
Nora: Rye.
Nick: (He picks up the glass and slugs down its contents.) Yes. That's yours. ...

Chainsaw

Suspended
Rye Whiskey?

You can't say whiskey without saying Crown. It doesn't taste like whiskey it tastes like oak, really good oak. Then theres CC, fantastic too.

Right now I'm stuck on this gut-rot called Canadian Imperial Sherry. ;)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Chainsaw said:
You can't say whiskey without saying Crown. It doesn't taste like whiskey it tastes like oak, really good oak. Then theres CC, fantastic too.

Right now I'm stuck on this gut-rot called Canadian Imperial Sherry. ;)

The stuff that's something like $7.95 a bottle? My fellow Canadian, we need to talk.....

mascaraasnake

New in Town
So far I've only tried Beam and Old Overholt rye. I like the taste of Old Overholt better, but I like the bracing quality of the Beam a bit more.

Hard to find a place that carries rye at all, though...I've gotten the deer-in-the-headlights expression from many a bartender.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I find it strange that Jim Beam's Rye Whiskey is so bad but that their Bourbon Whiskey is decent enough to drink. I quit blowing the big $ on Jack for Bourbon and Coke years ago. Jim is the least expensive that's drinkable. I won't be trying their rye on purpose, but I still think it's strange.

I MIGHT have strange tastes. I love great bourbon, but I still like the cheap stuff. I love expensive Scotch, but I can't even look at a bottle of Cutty Sark, or Piccadilly Scotch. The least expensive Scotch I can even look at is Dewar's White label and The Famous Grouse.

I do drink both Scotch and Bourbon with a little water.

Later

1961MJS

Hi,

I dropped by Jacob's liquor store and bought a bottle of the Sazerac 90 proof 6 year old rye. They also have Rittenhouse 23 at $171 a bottle, Old Overholt, Wild Turkey Rye, Jim Beam Rye, Russel Rye, and another one I hadn't heard of. I tried the Sazerac straight and it is definitely not Bourbon. It has a whole different flavor, and I like it. It's not as smoky as a fine scotch, and not as sweet as a Bourbon. I would swear it tasted like a Marble Rye bread with the seeds (probably my imagination).

I also picked up some Vernor's Ginger Soda (cans only) and it's a great drink. Unfortunately, the Ginger covers up the rye. This is something I can drink over the summer, which I can't stand with scotch. This stuff is definitely a keeper.

I also need to try a Manhattan, and other Rye cocktails. I'm hesitant to buy vermouth. I HATE VERMOUTH. I HATE Martini's. Maybe I'll drop by a bar and try one so as not to waste my money on the vermouth.

Later Y'all

1961MJS

Hi

Since I blew through the Sazerac 90 proof 6 year old rye at warp speed, I picked up a bottle of Old Overholt at $14.00 including tax. I probably won't be going through the twelve step meetings now. The Old Overholt is not as smooth as the Sazerac, I tried both with cold water. I could drink the Sazerac and water, but had to sip the Old Overholt.

I wouldn't have thought it would make a big difference but Dillon's was out of Vernor's Ginger ale :mad: so I picked up Canada Dry which isn't as sweet in my opinion. Sazerac and Vernor's is great. Old Overholt and Canada Dry is just good. You can hide a whole lot more Sazerac in a 12 ounce Vernor's than you can the Old Overholt.

Later

storman113

Familiar Face
Try the Manhattan! Could be dangerous thought, they can become addictive!

I've tried some at bars, and they're terrible. Go ahead and spring for some sweet vermouth, grenadine and bitters. The Old Overholt will work fine, the Jacks will suck here too.

Look up some Manhattan recipes and play with mix till you find the one you like.

I like 1 of rye, 1/4 vermouth, 1/8 grenadine and 2 dashs bitters. Course I measure by eye so it's not real exact!

Geesie

Practically Family
I just got a bottle of Pikesville. It's different. The label looks cheap, the bottle was inexpensive, but it's at least as good as Old Overholt - which is to say that it's fine for people on a budget and definitely better than Jim Beam yellow.
I'd almost recommend having Pikesville in addition to another rye since the taste is rather different.

I prefer the Overholt in a Manhattan, though. The Pikesville is a little too light to compete with even a little vermouth. It's great with soda, though.

Dr Doran

I had a rye called 1792 when I was in Ramapo County, NY a month ago. I really liked it. I'm in Greece right now with a poor internet connection so I cannot look at all the pages of this thread to see if others have mentioned it. Does anyone like that one? It's nice.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The only 1792 I could find when I googled was a bourbon with a higher amount of rye than usual, but not enough to legally be called a rye whiskey.

Brad

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Love this stuff. Last of its kind, old school Maryland-style rye. The drink of Americans back when scotch was still a weird foreign drink ;)
Prohibition killed off the rye market and it never recovered..
You can get it for less than both overholt and beam, and it's better than both. ALOT better than beam, which doesn't even taste like rye.
pikesville_rye_4yo.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
Just purchased a bottle of Templeton Rye, it is a small batch, aged 5 years, made in Templeton, Iowa. Supposedly it was Al Capone's personal favorite. The recipe is the original from the prohibition era.

http://www.templetonrye.com/

Apparently it is only available in Iowa and Illinois at this time.

Geesie

Practically Family
Bustercat said:
Love this stuff. Last of its kind, old school Maryland-style rye. The drink of Americans back when scotch was still a weird foreign drink ;)
Prohibition killed off the rye market and it never recovered..
You can get it for less than both overholt and beam, and it's better than both. ALOT better than beam, which doesn't even taste like rye.
pikesville_rye_4yo.jpg

I'm most of the way through my bottle. It is different and it is good. And it's the only one I can find and afford other than the Beam and Overholt.

Also, nobody should ever drink Jim Beam rye.

Steveb1

Familiar Face
Bourbon Man Here

I'm primarily a Bourbon drinker but also love Manhattan's made with Canadian Whiskey. I haven't had Rye in years but they quite similar.

Steveb1 said:
I'm primarily a Bourbon drinker but also love Manhattan's made with Canadian Whiskey. I haven't had Rye in years but they quite similar.

That is because Canadian whiskey is part rye but primarily made from corn or wheat. Rye is simply a supplement---sometimes it is not even used. Barley is used instead. However it cannot be legally called rye in the US because the percentage is too low to be called rye here---especially if it contains no rye at all. :p
Now during prohibition time the mix likely contained more rye. This has changed now. If you drink Canadian whiskey now, it will be much lighter in body than a true rye.
I'll stay with my Sazerac rye or one of the small batch varieties when I can find them. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe