Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Feraud said:
It is fine to wear a single breasted jacket with studs. A light color dinner jacket is informal but deserves a nice set of studs and cufflinks.

Here are a few screen caps from Casablanca to judge if Bogey wore a shirt with standard buttons or mother of pearl studs.

Do not forget this great thread on all things formal.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7058

CASABLANCA-14.jpg

CASABLANCA-7.jpg

CASABLANCA-11.jpg

CASABLANCA-24.jpg

CASABLANCA-25.jpg

CASABLANCA-3.jpg

CASABLANCA-29.jpg

CASABLANCA-44.jpg

On a separate note, notice the lack of buttoniere hole and how high his breast pocket is

Josephine

One Too Many
Mr. Rover said:
On a separate note, notice the lack of buttoniere hole and how high his breast pocket is

As an aside, not that you don't know, but others might not, most shawl collar dinner jackets (black or white) don't have a boutonnière hole. It disrupts the smooth line of the shawl lapel. The Husband will wear/wears a deep red pocket square in a poof or points up to add the splash of color a boutonnière normally would.

Feraud

Bartender
Are you talking about modern shawl collar jackets?
In speaking about vintage jackets I would not say most do not have the button hole. The few I own and observing others at vintage shops show some with the button hole and others do not.

Josephine

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Are you talking about modern shawl collar jackets?
In speaking about vintage jackets I would not say most do not have the button hole. The few I own and observing others at vintage shops show some with the button hole and others do not.

I was talking in general.

Feraud

Bartender
AlanC said:
If I recall, the Duke of Windsor wore a shawl lapel with buttonhole. Personally I like them on a shawl lapel.
I too like them if only to have the option to use it.
Here is an NRA tagged shawl collar with the button hole.
DSC03326.jpg

Note the rear of the lapel. It has a small piece of string to secure the stem of the flower. What a simple and effective solution!
DSC03327.jpg

Here is a pic of the label since I brought it up..
DSC03328.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Every time I decide that, yes, Bogie is wearing a shirt with standard buttons, I go back and think, "No, those are mother-of-pearl studs." "No, wait, those are buttons.." "No, studs, I think..." It makes my head hurt.

I suppose erring on the side of caution is advisable, and just go with studs. Unfortunately that means I need another shirt, because I have no laydown collar shirts that take studs. The trouble now is finding one without pleats.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Next question

Is Bogey wearing a tied bow tie, or a pre tied one? Looks pre tied to me, which means I have to re-examine the very foundations of my reality. Or maybe not.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mojave Jack said:
. Since the dinner jacket is the most casual of evening wear, are standard shirt buttons acceptable?
Yes. In fact, formal shirts come with buttons sewn on a fabric strip, to be used in lieu of studs.

Mojave Jack said:
. If so, then I assume that the cuffs should be barrel cuffs, correct?
:eek: Barrel cuffs!!!!!! Never!!!!!

Josephine

One Too Many
FINALLY found a vest I liked AND is the size the The Husband is. I was afraid I would have to settle for a poly satin backless, but then as I was trolling eBay (with the search parameter "vest -leather black -chinese -boy -boys" ;)) for some reason I clicked on the link to a tux. A vest was included, which didn't match the tux. So I emailed the seller about her selling me just the vest, which she wasn't keen on, though she did amend the auction to say if the winer didn't want the non matching vest she would take some $$ off (and presumably sell it to me). But no one bid on it, so I was able to get the tux and the vest for about 70% less than the poly satin backless one. Though I'm not sure what the vest I won is made out of. lol

I think I might give the tux to a thrift shop, pass on the good karma I got in winning the vest. Besides, the tux has notch lapels, and the pants have belt loops. :eek:

Here's a pic of the vest. After all this, it better work out! :rage: :p

Vest.jpg

I wonder if I should risk getting The Husband a Homburg? lol

Feraud

Bartender
Josephine said:
I dunno, that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back! lol
Right. If your husband is not the tux wearing type I would slowly ease him into formal wear. Save the homburg and other accessories for a later date. :)

Edward

Bartender
Josephine, a homberg would of course be ideal, but if he's not used to a formal hat, a black fedora might be a better option to begin with. Looks good with black tie, but is that little bit less alien to those not used to a brimmed hat in my experience.

Mojave Jack said:
Every time I decide that, yes, Bogie is wearing a shirt with standard buttons, I go back and think, "No, those are mother-of-pearl studs." "No, wait, those are buttons.." "No, studs, I think..." It makes my head hurt.

I suppose erring on the side of caution is advisable, and just go with studs. Unfortunately that means I need another shirt, because I have no laydown collar shirts that take studs. The trouble now is finding one without pleats.

Given the relative informality of the white dj, a fold down collar is absolutely correct (not that a wing tip is a sin per se, but less in the spirit of the way the white jackets were worn originally). As memory serves, a formal shirt with studs is acceptable, but the more relaxed pleated-front style with covered buttons is more in keeping with how the white dj was worn back in the day. If your white jacket is sb, it should be accompanied by a cummerbund (black or burgundy being acceptable options), never a waistcoat. If DB, no such waist covering is necessary. The theory was of course that the white dj was a concession towards the heat of the tropics (or Summer heat when worn in that season elsewhere) and therefore to ad the extra layer of the waistcoat defeated the purpose (Dr Jones clearly felt otherwise in Shanghai, however ;) ).

FWIW, I lean to the view that Bogie's shirt is carrying exposed regular buttons, as MOP capped studs would be a faux pas with black tie. Studs for black tie evening wear should be silver toned with a black top (matching the tie).

Josephine

One Too Many
Edward said:
Josephine, a homberg would of course be ideal, but if he's not used to a formal hat, a black fedora might be a better option to begin with. Looks good with black tie, but is that little bit less alien to those not used to a brimmed hat in my experience.

He'll be wearing the tux for the first time on the cruise, and since that's technically all "indoors" (IMO), I'll hold back on the hat until our fraternity's banquet and spring it on him then. Bwhahahahahaha!

Or maybe I should ask him his opinion.

Naw!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe