Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like this combo ?

Feraud

Bartender
Cufflinks_Carl said:
The pocket is ONLY here for the pocket square. So no pocket square is illogical by itself.
Please do not think that! I cannot see a major faux pas by leaving the pocket empty. I generally stuff a piece of cloth in my pocket but have gone w/out as many times as with.

Cufflinks_Carl said:
Then, with what sort of tie could this polka yellow be worn ?
Not sure what color the suit is but if the tie were dark I think the pocket square might flow a bit better.

Not to :deadhorse ...

but I think the dot hank would work really, really well sans-tie.

But hey, I don't think it's terrible, either. It reminds me a lot of what a former salesman I knew would wear. He was from London, and had that lovely, unique eccentricity that only Londoners can have (and that I so admire and love, for all you London Loungers; his being of the colorful 'Duchamp' variety). He also had a great affinity for color, and was the kind of fella who could pull it off.

That said, if the situation isn't prohibitive, and you've got the personality that would work it, go for it. Maybe not "classic style", but it's still a lot of fun. I like to get a little crazy every now and then, though. Especially on Fridays.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
While that is not my favourite shirt pattern, I think the tie is perfect with it. I am not sure what other tie would go as well except, perhaps, a grenadine in the same color for a bit more formality if that was desired.

I think a white pocket square would not go nearly as well as any of the small pattern squares that you show. I will probably get some heat for this but I think white pocket squares are usually boring and unimaginative.

It would be interesting to hear what you decide.

Cheers, Jim.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
]While that is not my favourite shirt pattern, I think the tie is perfect with it.
I agree. I bought it because I had no check shirt and because I wanted to have one for my knitted ties (I have this gold, a navy and a chancy one).

I am not sure what other tie would go as well except, perhaps, a grenadine in the same color for a bit more formality if that was desired.
I think a plain navy would fit with a light gray suit.

I think a white pocket square would not go nearly as well as any of the small pattern squares that you show. I will probably get some heat for this but I think white pocket squares are usually boring and unimaginative.

I agree. I could wear a white hank with a white striped shirt though.

It would be interesting to hear what you decide.

I will make a pic.

Jay

Practically Family
CharlestonBows said:
Not to :deadhorse ...

but I think the dot hank would work really, really well sans-tie.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. The pocket square is busy enough to be stand-alone, sans tie. However, if a tie is needed, I'd say go with a lighter square in a maybe a solid color. But that's just me...

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Yes, I think the navy or dark blue would be fine too. I have a knit navy that is so dark that I have to place it next to a black one to tell which is which. That might not have been my best buy.

Sure, a white hank would look okay if there was white in your shirt or tie even, but if it had a color in addition to white it would be more interesting in my opinion.

I like to reserve all white hanks for a formal look such as dark suit, white shirt, and conservative tie.

Cheers, Jim.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hello and it's nice to see another young man who wishes to dress nice.

My humble opinion is, that the pocket square is a little strong... now, if you had a tie that was the same yellow, it could work, if your personality was bright as the tie and pocket square that is. ;)

What I would do is set that tie and shirt combo with a nice light blue pocket square... one that matches the shirt... I think that would tie it all together rather nicely. I wouldn't do white since there isn't any white in your outfit.

A classy light blue pocket square would fit the bill just right... that's how I'd do it. ;)

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Hello and it's nice to see another young man who wishes to dress nice.

You means I only wish ?!!

My humble opinion is, that the pocket square is a little strong... now, if you had a tie that was the same yellow, it could work, if your personality was bright as the tie and pocket square that is. ;)

The 2 yellow are rather close.

Having the same tie/pocket is a big faux pas.

The tie and pockets are boring compared to my personality.

What I would do is set that tie and shirt combo with a nice light blue pocket square... one that matches the shirt... I think that would tie it all together rather nicely. I wouldn't do white since there isn't any white in your outfit.

I think a blue pocket may be the best. A white could eventualy work because the background of the shirt is white.

This yellow pocket would work with a stripes ties having thin yellow stripes or with this pocket, I would need a pocket with yellow but not the backgraound, juste the patterns.

What do you think of my 2 light blue pockets below ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe