Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like this combo ?

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Suit / shirt / tie / pocket

A friend told me that the shirt was dreadful. So I am worried.

Please tell me what you think. Feel free to criticize.

Thanks

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
Now remember, these are just personal opinions here…….but, I believe you are trying to pull the blue out of the shirt and the yellow in the tie. Polka dot and strips just doesn’t seem to have the desired effect. And the shirt looks a little too casual for a suit. Again you ask, so these are personal opinions. The course weave in the tie does not set well with the silk pocket square either.

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome to the Lounge CC. I love your shirt and tie combo. It's perfecto. I would put a more mello pocket square in. That way it doesn't it doesn't take over your outfit. do you have a blue pattern square? Or another deeper color that has yellow in it?
Marty Mathis

Feraud

Bartender
Cufflinks_Carl said:
You don't like polka in general or you don't like it with this outfit ?

Why ?

What pocket would you suggest ?
I like polka dots but think the pocket square is too loud compared to the smooth shirt/tie combo. You could probably do w/out the hankie in the pocket. Or try a simple white square in a flat fold?..

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Marty M. said:
Welcome to the Lounge CC. I love your shirt and tie combo. It's perfecto. I would put a more mello pocket square in. That way it doesn't it doesn't take over your outfit. do you have a blue pattern square? Or another deeper color that has yellow in it?
Marty Mathis

Thanks for your reply.

I have a few other options :

Marty M.

Vendor
Feraud said:
I like polka dots but think the pocket square is too loud compared to the smooth shirt/tie combo. You could probably do w/out the hankie in the pocket. Or try a simple white square in a flat fold?..

Feraud, did I hear you say "do w/out"? :eek: . I say dear fellow, let us not come to that :D .
Marty

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
I like polka dots but think the pocket square is too loud compared to the smooth shirt/tie combo.

Do you mean it would be better if all was loud ? Shirt + tie + pocket ?

You could probably do w/out the hankie in the pocket.
Not possible

Or try a simple white square in a flat fold?..
There is nothing white in my outfit so I think it would look odd to sport a white line on the chest.

Feraud

Bartender
Marty M. said:
Feraud, did I hear you say "do w/out"? :eek: . I say dear fellow, let us not come to that :D .
Marty
I crafted that reply with a built in escape. If you notice I said probably....lol

Cufflinks_Carl said:
Do you mean it would be better if all was loud ? Shirt + tie + pocket ?

Not possible

Why is it not possible? Is this a pocket sqare mandatory event?

There is nothing white in my outfit so I think it would look odd to sport a white line on the chest.

Then again.. there is nothing round on your outfit but you are bringing in round themes with the shapes in that pocket square.

Marty M.

Vendor
Cufflinks_Carl said:
Thanks for your reply.
I have a navy blue pocket with yellow squares

Oh, nuff said. That would be perfect. Post a pic if you can. I'd love to see the combo.

[Feraud = I crafted that reply with a built in escape. If you notice I said probably.... ]
Oh in that case :p :eek: .
Marty

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's good, but it'd be better with a little stronger blue in the shirt.
Say a bold blue/white stripe:
986sky-2.5sq-96d-100r-250px.JPG

Or a blue/white check or plaid:
500wb-2.5sq-96d-100r-red-250px.JPG

BTW, whoever said silk knits don't go with silk squares is, well, pretty square.

Of your square options, I'd go with the yellow one with the various size rings. The lighter b lue picks up the shirt color and the pattern is fun, yet fine, balancing the feel of the shirt and suit.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Why is it not possible? Is this a pocket sqare mandatory event?

Because I don't want to commit a clothing suicide by beeing seen in public with a dull & boring empty breast pocket.

Then again.. there is nothing round on your outfit but you are bringing in round themes with the shapes in that pocket square.

Actually, my buttons are round, my watch could be round and my cufflinks too.

Having the same pattern on shirt/tie/pocket sounds like a "faux pas" to me.

While having similar (or complementary) color sounds like a good choice.

Feraud

Bartender
Cufflinks_Carl said:
Because I don't want to commit a clothing suicide by beeing seen in public with a dull & boring empty breast pocket.
In my humble opinion this assumption is a problem.
The sentiment that an empty breast pocket is any more dull, boring, or fashion suicide then an overbearing one is illogical. An empty breast pocket is no more boring than an overstuffed loud pocket.

There is a marked difference between a clean cut look and a boring, bland one. The line is fine but those who master it know what I mean..

I like the colors you are going with in the outfit but think the polka dots ruin the "smooth" look the outfit is giving off.

The blue one is better.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
It's good, but it'd be better with a little stronger blue in the shirt.

I know it could be better, hence my concern about this shirt.

This is the best tie I found for that shirt because :
- the yellow of the tie goes with the yellow of the shirt
- the shirt (checked) and the tie (knitted) are both pretty casual

Of your square options, I'd go with the yellow one with the various size rings. The lighter b lue picks up the shirt color and the pattern is fun, yet fine, balancing the feel of the shirt and suit.

Actually I was hesitating bewteen 3 options :
- the one I posted first
- the one your like
- the blue pocket

May be I could change every 30 minutes during my political meeting ?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Get a white hanky.

The dots are nice if the tie is mellow but the tie in this case seems to be a show stopper so unless they are real close in color and details, another show stopper element like that dotted one takes away from the look and makes it a bit clownish..

Now the black with the small polka dots is better though i think a good pattern or a solid would be better since that tie is involved.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
The sentiment that an empty breast pocket is any more dull, boring, or fashion suicide then an overbearing one is illogical.

The pocket is ONLY here for the pocket square. So no pocket square is illogical by itself.

An empty breast pocket is no more boring than an overstuffed loud pocket.

A loud pocket can indeed look bad, but never as boring as an empty pocket.

Notice that the pocket I showed is not specialy loud because medium polka dots are not a loud pattern and this yellow is not a garish yellow but rather a butter yellow.

And the pocket would be less puffy and more inside if worn.

There is a marked difference between a clean cut look and a boring, bland one. The line is fine but those who master it know what I mean..

Yes, no pocket is boring and a white pocket in TV fold is a clean cut look with no attempt to create or amaze.

I like the colors you are going with in the outfit but think the polka dots ruin the "smooth" look the outfit is giving off.

You might be right. I will think about it.

Then, with what sort of tie could this polka yellow be worn ?

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Get a white hanky.
I have nothing white in my outfit so I will pass on a white pocket.

I have 3 white pockets squares + about 90 colored ones and among these 90, a few with yellow.

If I don't wear the yellow pockets now, when would I wear them ?

The dots are nice if the tie is mellow but the tie in this case seems to be a show stopper so unless they are real close in color and details, another show stopper element like that dotted one takes away from the look and makes it a bit clownish..

The tie is so garish ?

Now the black with the small polka dots is better though i think a good pattern or a solid would be better since that tie is involved.

What black with polka? I have no black with polka. I have a navy with squares.

What is a good pattern ?

I don't think a solid would be good because :
- the tie is solid
- the suit is solid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe