Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you have lots of competition while searching flea markets / thrift shops, etc?

Starius

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Yeah, I have mixed feelings on this.
Ya can't blame anyone for wanting to make a few bucks, but some of the ebay prices are a little outrageous. I no longer shop on ebay for anything. I'm all about the barter and trade system now.

Personally, I'd never count the ebay out. And it isn't always as impersonal as it might seem either. Still many good deals to be had. Just yesterday, I decided to get a suit off ebay of which I liked the look. It was $165 buy it now, but I made a "best offer" of $90 plus the purchase of one of his $14.00 tie & handkerchief sets. The seller accepted my offer. Turns out the tie I picked was out of stock, so I picked an alternative and the seller threw in another free tie and handkerchief set for my inconvenience. So, I should wait until I have my suit and everything, of course, but so far I am rather satisfied with how this transaction is going.

But, I won't deny there is a dark side to ebay. Some dealers will bid on each other's things to help jack up the price so their friend's item doesn't go too low, or maybe even to incite a bidding war. I am not personally fond of this practice. But, its nothing new, it happens in live auctions too.

Edward said:
A good point that shouldn't be forgotten! Where possible, I do always try to stick to buying from dealers who know their stuff and keep their prices reasonable - it's so much nicer to deal with someone who has a genuine enthusiasm (often I learn a lot from these folks too) for their stock, rather than just seeing it as product. you usually find better prices and nicer stuff from dealers like the former too, IMO.

My two best friends, whom are dealers, are incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about their respective fields. One of them is into western memorabilia. He is in his early 30s yet knows more about the subject than anyone I've ever met. Whether its a John Wayne movie to a Gene Autry toy cap gun, the man is a endless fountain of information. I'm not personally very interested in this field but I am constantly impressed by his knowledge in the area.

My other friend, his brother, is the same way about comic books. Not just knowledgeable but a true passion for the hobby. I've been buying my own comics from him for over a decade now. He knows what I like and has become my "personal shopping assistant" for comics. I don't even have to think about looking for comics elsewhere most of the time. He knows my tastes and finds just the kinds of books I like to read. And since I'm such a loyal customer, I always get an excellent deal.

Both of them care about their customer's interests and routinely look items with particular customers in mind. I couldn't possibly say enough nice things about them, but then again, maybe I am biased since they're friends of mine. :)

At any rate, I agree, these are the kinds of people whom doing business with is so enjoyable. Usually, these are people who are themselves collectors. If the dealer doesn't have his own passion for collecting something (anything), then I think they are more likely to be the kind of dealer whom you wouldn't want to socialize with for an extended length of time.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Edward said:
Oh yes, we've all seen the sellers who drastically overprice an item, and keep putting it up for sale over and over at the same inflated price, wondering why it won't sell.

As a seller, my own strategy is this: I try to offer really good quality stuff, and to accurately convey (via photos and descriptions) the level of that quality. That's all. No hidden reserve prices; no high opening bid prices.

See, I trust that my bidders will understand (and be willing to pay for) the quality of what they're bidding on. That's why I usually start my vintage suit auctions with a low opening bid price of $19.99. I have enough confidence in my merchandise and buyers to know that the suits will sell for a satisfactory price.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have been online since 2002 at 5 different antique malls as well as ebay store and been a dealer since 1996 and a collector since I was 12.
I am currently on 2 malls and have an ebay store. I have seen dealers come and go. There are so many types of dealers just like types of people.
The hardest thing online in this business for me personally for sure is email systems and spammers and search engines changing constantly.
I never dreamed I had to be part of the geek squad when I started but this is how it is. I don't care if you have the choicest antique for $1.00 if people cannot find you due to search engine fickleness (?) this drives your business as well as others online. Believe me.
Server speed also is a huge issue.
At this point I am like the ant and the rubber tree plant. I am not going anywhere and plan for the long haul unless of course life changes. lol
I have alot of beautiful things and always buy with the ideas that I may have to look at it for awhile so buy what I like. lol

epr25

Practically Family
I didn't want to give anyone the impression that I didn't like dealers. I am one myself. I was just commenting on the rude people (other shoppers too) that I am always running into. The people that grab things out of your hands and step on your feet to look in the area that you are in.
I think it's just my area. If we go to other places it seems that is very less likely to happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe