Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you dream of hats?

Charlie Reader

New in Town
I did last night! I know it sounds kinda silly (and, in a way, even worries me :p) but that dream put me back to the 1950's. The city was probably NY, at least somewhere in the USA. People in stylish suits and hats were around me, classic cars passed by, it all seemed so real...!

Then, of course, I spot a hat shop, entered it and on one corner's shelves, there they were - Cavanagh hats. All colors, all shapes, all for 10 or 15 Dollars. I bought three or four (oddly they gave it to me without a box, a bag or something, I just held them in my hands)...

When I left the shop, fewer people were on the streets, some neon signs were on and kind of a "sunset light" flooded the scene. It was like a film and I must say, I congratulated myself on my unconscious phantasy after waking up lol
Of course, only after regretting it was just a dream...

Wouldn't a time machine be a nice thing? But with much luggage space, please.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Charlie Reader said:
I did last night! I know it sounds kinda silly (and, in a way, even worries me :p) but that dream put me back to the 1950's. The city was probably NY, at least somewhere in the USA. People in stylish suits and hats were around me, classic cars passed by, it all seemed so real...!

Then, of course, I spot a hat shop, entered it and on one corner's shelves, there they were - Cavanagh hats. All colors, all shapes, all for 10 or 15 Dollars. I bought three or four (oddly they gave it to me without a box, a bag or something, I just held them in my hands)...

When I left the shop, fewer people were on the streets, some neon signs were on and kind of a "sunset light" flooded the scene. It was like a film and I must say, I congratulated myself on my unconscious phantasy after waking up lol
Of course, only after regretting it was just a dream...

Wouldn't a time machine be a nice thing? But with much luggage space, please.

You've got it bad brother, welcome!

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
i to have had hat dreams. in one i walk into this dark store and i find stacks of vintage hats dozens deep in top of shelfs stretching up into the rafters. The problem is i cannot get the hats down and everytime i try to climb up to the top i fall down. eventually i managed to get one of the hats down and found ive gotten the most inferior of the bunch and that all my falling down was in vain

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
skwerl-hat said:
i to have had hat dreams. in one i walk into this dark store and i find stacks of vintage hats dozens deep in top of shelfs stretching up into the rafters. The problem is i cannot get the hats down and everytime i try to climb up to the top i fall down. eventually i managed to get one of the hats down and found ive gotten the most inferior of the bunch and that all my falling down was in vain

That's not just a dream that's a nightmare:eek: !

docholliday55

Familiar Face
Well Mr. Reader since you are in Germany you can certainly afford to consult a doctor for the hat dream. It is far and away too costly for us to do so here in the U.S.A.. Now that I think of it far better that we and yourself just buy some hats to deal with this situation. LOL
doc

J.B.

Practically Family
thefedorastore said:
Hats dream of me!
grinning-smiley-014.gif

docholliday55

Familiar Face
LOL Don't you worry none Charlie Reader before long we will be paying 7 dollars a gallon for gasoline here and without the health insurance. As for the hat dream I still would advise buying at least 2 vintage Stetson's and if the dream persists you can always go to a higher dosage.LOL
doc

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'm not a hat person, but i've had many vivid dreams about going into vintage clothing stores and looking through the rails. often the stores in the dream are a mish-mash of ones i've visited in real life. or it's the very same store but something is different. usually i end up trying something on that looks wrong. or i discover a mysterious hidden pocket.

Charlie Reader

New in Town
Don't you worry none Charlie Reader before long we will be paying 7 dollars a gallon for gasoline here

Doc: If Winchester gallon is meant, that's just as much as we pay ALREADY here! If people wouldn't love their Audis and BMWs that much, we would have had to close down Autobahn a long time ago, lol. A popular quote around here is "Rasen f?ºr die Rente" ("Racing for our pensions") because we are told the high taxes on fuel finance them. Isn't it nice to care of one's old-age pension at 150 mph? :rolleyes:
Oh yes, and thanks for the medical advice. First time I like one of those! :D

often the stores in the dream are a mish-mash of ones i've visited in real life

Arrow: Your dream sounds nice, too. I think the scenery I've seen for the most part was a mish-mash of vintage color photos from this site ( I strongly assume that because I haven't experienced the 50's by myself, being 23 years of age ;): Charles Cushman Photograph Collection
The photos there (from around the world, but mostly from the USA) deeply impressed me and still do. They're a fascinating insight into former centuries, and especially into "my" beloved fifties. Who doesn't know the page, browse around, you'll be amazed. There are many cool color photos from the 30's, 40's and 60's as well. And a big bunch of hats.

I had a dream a long time ago where there were hats laying all over the street and I was picking out which ones I liked.

Every time it rains, it rains stetsons from heaven...

S

Samsa

Haha, I actually had a hat dream last night! I was shopping for felt hats (fall fast approacheth), but for some reason my local hatter was located in my garage...

docholliday55

Familiar Face
Oh Charlie Reader you have about 31 holidays a year there to get out on the road and "race for your pensions" don't you? I have been past your hometown there beautiful country. Absolutely some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever looked at. Do you ever get up to Bad Homberg?
doc

Charlie Reader

New in Town
Hiya Doc,
no, unfortunately I haven't yet. I guess you mean Bad Homburg near Frankfurt am Main? It is a strongly hat-connected town of course, since the "Homburg" hat originated here. Chancellor Konrad Adenauer was famous for wearing it. In vernacular it's even known as the "Adenauer hat".

adenauer.jpg

Couldn't find a better one quickly...

But when visiting other countries, e.g. yours, he liked to diversify (click) ;)

BTW, thanks for your kind words. Did you visit Regensburg? If you didn't, do it in the future, we have a fine hat maker here...
I'm looking forward to visit the US next year.

docholliday55

Familiar Face
Charlie Reader,
What a shame there is a beer hall there named Kronenhof which serves the absolute best beer on the planet. Sorry did not get to visit your hometown but may do so the next trip and will let you know when so maybe we can get together and drink a few beers and talk hats and about DEAN AND FRANK and look over that hatter you have talked about. Yes the homberg did reportedly originate there in Bad Homberg. So how many yearly holidays are legally observed in Germany now? Adenauer was a sharp guy by all accounts I have read looks like he may have been in Texas wearing what appears to be an Open Road Stetson. I rode a boat on the Rhine and went to Munich from Frankfurt then down by the Eagles Nest and almost into Austria in October of 2005. I think Munich is the cleanest city I have ever seen. So where in the U.S.A. are you planning to visit?
doc

Charlie Reader

New in Town
****so the next trip and will let you know when so maybe we can get together and drink a few beers****

That would be great! Just let me know.

****So how many yearly holidays are legally observed in Germany now?****

Yes, it's around 30 days, depending on the age. Young beginners only get 25 or 26. The question is, how long will that last? "Communistic" China & its low-wage-friends also force us to become more "capitalistic"....
I'm a self-employee anyway, so I take my holidays whenever I can afford it ;)

****So where in the U.S.A. are you planning to visit?****

May sound trite, but I want to see NYC (and of course make a journey to Sinatra's birthplace in Hoboken). Let's see where else I can go. Any recommendations, Doc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe