Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disney Countdown!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Join me in my anticipation as I await a newly refurbished Disney fedora that was shipped today from our own Art Fawcett*. Art tells me the hat dates to the 1940s. It was the hat that I found in a Chattanooga thrift store some months back. Here are some pictures from shortly after discovery:

p1010377lk4.jpg

p1010372ks9.jpg

p1010374lo8.jpg

Art gave it a complete overhaul (new sweat, new binding, new ribbon [I think]). Yes, purists may object to replacing such original pieces, but this is a hat I want to live on for the purpose God intended it. It was doomed to extinction in a thrift store until I came across it, anyway.

As fate would have it, I came across this Disney hatbox on EBAY. I think it may even predate the hat:

978b_1.JPG
97bb_1.JPG

986c_1.JPG

I won the pictured hatbox, which also shipped out to me today. So perhaps on Monday there will be a grand Disney confluence at my home where refurbished hat meets orphaned hatbox.

So join me as I anxiously rely on the delivery prowess of our vaunted postal service to bring me another hat. (Hey, I do need another hat...and another...and another...)

Oh, and I guess I should go pay Art...

*To anticipate the question, Art does still do refurbishment work for his custom hat customers.

duggap

Banned
Chattanooga

Hey, what's the big idea coming into my backyard and finding that beaut. Next guy in Chattanooga with a fedora on and in a thrift store may get a dose of my water pistol.lol Nice catch, Alan.:)

AlanC

duggap said:
Hey, what's the big idea coming into my backyard and finding that beaut. Next guy in Chattanooga with a fedora on and in a thrift store may get a dose of my water pistol.lol Nice catch, Alan.:)

I was looking over my shoulder the entire time I was there. I knew you might be lurking somewhere...

AlanC

Okay, on Tuesday we had a great Disney confluence. I forgot about President's Day (how on earth could I forget that? :rolleyes:)

Today both hat and box arrived. I was walking out the door with a flat cap on when the mail lady arrived. I ended up leaving with a Disney on my head. It's absolutely fantastic. It's going to get a lot of wear without question.

I love the shape Art put to it. I'd imagined a sort of Aviator/Hughes style hat with it, and I think this is just right. Art was surprised that the crown was as low as it was considering it was a '40s hat (measures to 5").

p1012091il6.jpg

p1012089tp5.jpg

p1012085dz4.jpg

p1012093xo2.jpg

p1012097sd3.jpg

Oh, and the box is great, too!

Razzman

One Too Many
Alan, the Disney looks fantastic. The restoration really does wonders for a vintage hat. Wonderful job by Art. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap If you don't mind, what are the dimensions of that hat. Crown height, brim width, and ribbon width? Thanks

mingoslim

Practically Family
Great looking lid . . .

But what I really love is the box . . . ;)
It is always a great catch to have the original box with a great vintage hat.:eusa_clap

AlanC

Razzman said:
If you don't mind, what are the dimensions of that hat. Crown height, brim width, and ribbon width? Thanks
I finally had the hat and a tape measure handy:

Crown height: 5"
Brim width: 2.5"
Ribbon width: 2"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe