Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diner mugs

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Do you maybe know a shop where one can buy a retro diner mug with a personalized picture or motiv and who would ship internationally? I always find shops for commercial advertising business where I can only order high quantities. What the heck should I do with 70 and more mugs? :eusa_doh:
But then even to find a blank good ol' diner mug to let it printed somewhere else seems not to be so easy.

Besides, where is the Fedora Lounge fanshop? In the old board there was always a link to it. I thought maybe of buying one from there and some of nice pint glasses, but they had so high shipping fees that it wasn't worth a try. :cry: The motive with the Fedlounge logo is really nice and so far I did not find something else which I would like. Thats the reason why I look for one where I can personalize it and get my own vintage motive on the mug.

Last edited:

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Have seen the page too and maybe I take one of them. They even have some nice Elvgren Pin-up motives there. And there is this artist with these interesting retro future things: http://www.zazzle.com/retropolis_travel/gifts?cg=196670795139047998

But, well, I once had a nice heavy vintage mug which was a gift. But a colleague broke it accidentally some weeks ago and I really really loved that thing. It's not only the classic curve, it seems to hold the heat of the coffee much longer and then there is this, hm, vintage feeling with this kind of mug.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I did a quick look and this was the ONLY one I could find. Is the Fedroa Lounge mug no longer available? That's a darn shame. I love mine!

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Mugs-Diner-Mug/dp/B000P3UQ4W

I read one of the reviews from that Amazon link, and he mentions Victor mugs, made long ago here in New York. Victor apparently made electric insulators, and made coffee mugs as a sideline. The Victor coffee mug, then, is the ne plus ultra of coffee mugs, and here is a web site dedicated entirely to them.

http://victormug.com/index.html

Last edited:

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
It shows as available here.

Yeah but they want more than $40 for shipping just one of them to Europe, so that's a bit high for something that costs only $5. ;)

But the white diner mug from the amazon-link of dherman looks interesting. Just have to find some printing shop here at home who maybe can get me a good logo or something fitting on it, the same for the victor (cool name for something like that).

Thanks for the help, guys!

Last edited:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Could you do a stencil with ceramic pen? There's pens for writing on china where then you bake it on in the oven. It seems plausible, if your design isn't too complicated.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I picked this up last weekend. Any idea where it started life?

Not a mug, but this is from the dining room at the Oldsmobile factory in Lansing, 1951-52.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love these classic coffe mugs. I drink my morning brew (every morning!) from my Sterling (Liverpool, Ohio). Coffee just wouldn't taste the same in anything else! -dixon cannon

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I picked this up last weekend. Any idea where it started life?

Not a mug, but this is from the dining room at the Oldsmobile factory in Lansing, 1951-52.

Are there any markings on the bottom? I'd hazard a guess for Syracuse China (they did a lot of custom china work- at one time they were the largest restaurant wear manufacturer in the U.S.). But I'll *always* guess Syracuse China.

If it is Syracuse China (or OPCO), there should be numbers and letters on the bottom. With these you can date it to a year and production season. If it does, and you post those, I can get a date for you.

ETA: The shape of the top mug and the ringed design is similar to a number of other Syracuse patterns, but I am less sure about the bottom, but I'd still guess Syracuse. ;)

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Do you maybe know a shop where one can buy a retro diner mug with a personalized picture or motiv and who would ship internationally?

I have a classic diner mug (with logo) from the Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown, Mass., and I called them to ask who their supplier was.

It's a company called Military Art -- www.milart.com. Here's an example of the mug: https://www.milart.com/ProductDetails.php?ID=37

I don't know what their minimum order is, but I suspect it's not very large. In any case, you can email them and ask (I tried calling but got voicemail).

Edit: Upon revisiting the site, it looks as though their setup art charges are rather high (unless you're ordering 72 mugs or more), but still, couldn't hurt to contact them and see if you can work something out.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sheeplady, Syracuse is a good guess.

Darn it! I own a few pieces of Shenango, most notably a chicken pitcher I bought for $5 when I first started collecting.

The code (which looks like L-19) would date it between July and December of 1961.

Is the plate Shenango too?

Syracuse china used to do custom runs of china of 100 pieces with your self-designed logo. It was my dream to get charger and snack plates made for our "settling" home. (I can throw a huge party where you'd need 100 pieces of china.) Unfortunately Libby pulled Syracuse china out of the US and moved it to china a couple of years ago. :(

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
This morning I had breakfast at the local A&W and noticed the coffee mug. A classic heavy diner mug flared top and bottom. I tried to find a picture but A&W mug only gets the glass root beer mug or souvenir coffee mug which is completely different. Do you want me to get a pic and ask if they sell them?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Depending on how many you want, if you could find a good vintage example of what you're looking for on eBay or somewhere, you might find a local ceramics shop who could pull a mold from it and cast a small run for you.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
MilArt WWII Victory mug is a really good type of coffee cup. If it is ordered without artwork they are a good generic diner mug.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe