Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you win that brown whippet?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Not my 1st Whippet but the 1st I've won at auction.

Spellflower said:
Well didja? If so, let me know if you might consider a trade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140182898843

Spellflower, It was me. Since it's the 1st Whippet that I've won after several attempts, I don't know that I'll want to trade.

stetson01.jpg

stetson02.jpg

Spellflower

Practically Family
Well, I'm glad it went to a lounger who will appreciate it. It's not often you see them in my color (brown), and I was pretty psyched to see it. If you decide it doesn't work for you, let me know, and I'd be happy to give it a good home.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Ain't it though!

deelovely said:
Wow! That is a nice looking hat ya won there, Carter! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D

Thanks, deelovely. It was a bit less than the one I lost the bid on last week and I definitely like this color better. It's also a 7 5/8! Just my size! :D

Spellflower, If, for any reason, I don't like this Whippet, you'll be the 1st to know. Don't hold your breath.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Congrats Carter!

Carter...i was eyeing that lovely Whippet also....but once it started climbing...I figured I would just watch. Maybe Art can make one...[huh] :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Carter...i was eyeing that lovely Whippet also....but once it started climbing...I figured I would just watch. Maybe Art can make one...[huh] :D

CJ, You KNOW that Art can make one. I received one today that I bought from another member of the FL. He sent it to Art previously for some work. The hat is absolutely lovely.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer

carter

I'll Lock Up
tinmanzzz said:
Carter, Congrads... I know you had been getting discouraged with the recent insanity that is going on at ebay. I was following this auction an feel that you made a GREAT Buy......
Take a look at the Crazy price of a modern Open Road 4x

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180182617774&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

As a 4X it can't be to old, only 1 picture, 7 1/4 a common size and it brought $256.50 :eek: :eek: ????? LOL

And I can buy 3 new OR's for that same money less than 15 minutes from where I live. [huh]

Thanks for the congratulations gentlemen. If it hadn't been a Whippet, I wouldn't have spent as much but, in today's market, it was a pretty good buy.

Feraud

Bartender
tinmanzzz said:
Carter, Congrads... I know you had been getting discouraged with the recent insanity that is going on at ebay. I was following this auction an feel that you made a GREAT Buy......
Take a look at the Crazy price of a modern Open Road 4x

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180182617774&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

As a 4X it can't be to old, only 1 picture, 7 1/4 a common size and it brought $256.50 :eek: :eek: ????? LOL

But read the story in the auction! :)

Feraud

Bartender
It is a hat worth a certain price. Good marketing goes a long way!
What makes ebay listings interesting to view is how much effort (or not) is put into an auction.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
tinmanzzz said:
This seller knows how to spin a Great Tale.

Actually, the Seller knows how to cut and paste a post made on this forum by our very own Rick Blaine not too long ago...:eusa_doh:

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
Buyer education

tinmanzzz said:
This seller knows how to spin a Great Tale. But, at the end of the day it's still a $160 Hat Retail.lol lol

What amazes me is how little homework some bidders on Ebay put into the products they bid on.

A Whippet, Stratoliner, or Flagship are Stetson models that have a certain value that is set by the marketplace primarily because of their relative rarity. The best bellweather for price is Ebay. Watch/participate in enough auctions and you can get a feel for the value of a hat. Spend some time in online forums and you have an even better idea of relative value. Even with that, there can be wide variations in prices paid for one of these hats. What it comes down to is supply and demand.

An Open Road is a current production hat and can be easily purchased in any number of places. Therefore, unless someone really, really, really wants an Open Road of a certain vintage, there is a finite value for this hat. My question is, did the buyer want that particular OR or did the buyer fail to do their homework? I suspect it was the latter.

It always pays for a seller to do a good job in marketing their product.

It also pays for a buyer to know as much or more about that product as the seller does.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
A Whippet, Stratoliner, or Flagship are Stetson models that have a certain value that is set by the marketplace primarily because of their relative rarity.
Not rarity, quality.
There are a lot of Whippets and Stratoliners out there.
Not so sure about the Flagships. They are popular because
they are the pinnacle of a particular style and are made
very well.

Frankly, they are expensive on OFAS for one other reason, too:
we have made them so by discussing them on this site.

carter

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Not rarity, quality.
There are a lot of Whippets and Stratoliners out there.
Not so sure about the Flagships. They are popular because
they are the pinnacle of a particular style and are made
very well.
Frankly, they are expensive on OFAS for one other reason, too:
we have made them so by discussing them on this site.

feltfan, I see your point.

Still, even though there are still a lot of Whippets and Stratoliners out there and Flagships show up on OFAS occasionally, there seems to be more demand than supply. This is what I mean when using the term rare.

There is no doubt that our ongoing discussions of these and other vintage hats have created a greater demand than in the past. This is an inevitable result of increasing awareness and, hopefully, increasing the wearing of these classic styles as daily apparel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe