Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Buco J100 review.

CBI

One Too Many
great prices right now. I really don't think all the negative crits are deserving based on the few "issues" here. Overall super jackets and I would not hesitate one bit to order again. All of the top makers have misses from time to time but we seem to give them a pass.

technovox

One Too Many
great prices right now. I really don't think all the negative crits are deserving based on the few "issues" here. Overall super jackets and I would not hesitate one bit to order again. All of the top makers have misses from time to time but we seem to give them a pass.

Agreed. At $950 for a DD Buco J-100 in a tea core Shinki horsehide, it was an unbeatable deal I couldn't pass up. And upon delivery, the fit of my jacket turned out beautifully. I'll post a review and some pics when I get a chance.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. At $950 for a DD Buco J-100 in a tea core Shinki horsehide, it was an unbeatable deal I couldn't pass up. And upon delivery, the fit of my jacket turned out beautifully. I'll post a review and some pics when I get a chance.
I'm really keen to see the tea core shinki. I think he had a tea core steer aswell. Looking forward to the pics.

This thread is interesting. To me those slight variations are in fact what makes the jacket perfect (minus the zipper tape). That's just lazy. I wouldn't have noticed the other things. If I try it on and :
I feel like a bad ass
It's built like a tank
It fits in a way that affirms the above
I'm happy

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I gotta admit that $950 for a Shinki J-100 is a mighty lean price. The cost of the leather alone accounts for a considerable percentage of that price; in other words, DD is not charging much for his time. Even though I personally believe there are better Shinki J-100s available from RMC and Himel, I certainly understand the allure of a $950 Shinki J-100. If the differences in workmanship are unimportant to the buyer, DD's J-100 is a good deal compared to other Shinki J-100s (although Aero's Vincenza J-100 is only a couple hundred more).

CBI

One Too Many
Yep, I love my DD A-2. If I didn't have 8 other A-2's (5 GW's, 1 DD, 2 originals) I would order another one! His stearhide A-2's for $750, the BEST price out there right now for a high end A-2!!!!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
It's got me seriously thinking, I'll tell ya that much!! (Dubow or Bronco in French russet goat, J21 in tea core Shinki, one of each :D )

ProteinNerd

I actually think I've purchased more DD jackets than anyone...I've had 4 through my hands, paid for 3.

I couldn't be happier with my most recent and its definitely a keeper....absolutely gorgeous.

You just need to be very specific in what you want and you shouldn't go wrong.

The construction on 3 of them was great, only the 1 with offset chest pockets had any issues, he rectified that within 2 weeks and plenty of other jackets by other manufacturers have had to be remade....

Are they "perfect"? No, but then gain, Ive got an Aero with 1 sleeve almost 0.5 inch longer than the other....

I think a lot of DD naysayers have never actually seen one of his in person...and do you really think JC would work with someone he didn't think could produce quality jackets?

$950 for a Shinki J100 is a great price!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think a lot of DD naysayers have never actually seen one of his in person...and do you really think JC would work with someone he didn't think could produce quality jackets?

I think you hit on an important point ProteinNerd.

One of the things that annoys me are those offering opinions on jackets and makers that they've never handled. I've seen many times over the years here at TFL people stating qualitative opinions on jackets and makers they have never owned, let alone, handled themselves, but based purely on a body of photos and or opinions of others on fora such as these.

I'm a great believer that you should only champion or boo a maker based on the fact you've actually owned, or at the very least, handled the product in your own hands.

Maybe that's just me but I think only those who have experienced a product firsthand should make an assumption about it.

CBI

One Too Many
don't wan to get too off topic but I think a lot of naysaying in general for any jackets comes from people not being able to afford all the jackets they want so have to dismiss things secretly wanted or folks buy a certain brand thinking its the best, then something competitive/better comes along and the ego gets bruised. Seen this on many a forum but I am not being specific to any individuals. Although there is some truth to the notion of seeing one in person vs. just going on pictures, I don't agree with the "if you don't have one you can't comment". We would never be able to function in the world if we based things only on first hand knowledge. I do think anonymous members/posts can lead to all sorts of behaviors, comments, etc, that would not be the case if we were all sitting around in a bar chatting.

I think you hit on an important point ProteinNerd.

One of the things that annoys me are those offering opinions on jackets and makers that they've never handled. I've seen many times over the years here at TFL people stating qualitative opinions on jackets and makers they have never owned, let alone, handled themselves, but based purely on a body of photos and or opinions of others on fora such as these.

I'm a great believer that you should only champion or boo a maker based on the fact you've actually owned, or at the very least, handled the product in your own hands.

Maybe that's just me but I think only those who have experienced a product firsthand should make an assumption about it.

Agreed, What you say applies to many different subjects on many different forums that I'm a part of. There's always opinion based on next to nothing. Other than that, I'll stay out of this thread as I have nothing to add, no experience with any makers other than U.S. Authentic. Just about every maker has passed through my shop at one point or another but I'm just not up to par with the details brought up here.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
A digression. That capitalized "close" made me laugh. In leather jackets I've owned premium brands and less celebrated jackets - the difference has never been overly significant enough to me.
It depends on what your definition of close is. If you are looking at things in great detail, then I still believe my point still stands. I must say it is very surprising that a group so engrossed in the quality of leather jackets is so dismissive of some obvious flaws. I'm not saying people are wrong, but I am surprised the sides are so stark here:

Side one (people active on other denim forums/seem to prefer Japanese clothing and care more for quality than authenticity and price)

Side two (those preferring American products and value authenticity and pricing over absolute quality)

I'm oversimplifying, but I'm guessing everyone basically fits pretty well into one of these categories. I know I do.

Going off of Smithy's excellent point, I am surprised I am so easily dismissed when I am someone who has actually purchased and owned both brands of jacket. People seem to just want to support Diamond Dave simply because they do not like RMC and/or they prefer his lower pricing.
We're never going to agree on this :D

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I am looking for value, authenticity, and craftsmanship. Where does that put me?
possibly up the river :D

If DD could improve just a bit, he really would be a premier option. I have seen work of his that was truly incredible.

Honestly, Aero is probably the best combination of things you mentioned along with Rainbow Country. If you can find the right Japanese retailer, RMC Buco jackets do come down to around $1300-$1400 which I think fits in that category as well.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm a bit over the quality debate. Where a maker has screwed up a size or detail this fact extends past quality issues into questions of competence.

I've owned more jackets than I can remember, from local hand made product (of extraordinary quality) to Aero, Alexanders and Johnson Leathers. I'm just as happy with the quality of my Schott jackets.

It's easy to get too bogged down into brands and reputation. Some of the greatest leathers of 50-70 years ago probably wouldn't please our current quality control fanatics, but those jackets are why we're here today.

A-1

One Too Many
Anyone having fit pics of DD jackets? I’d love to see them in action.
Sorry for interrupting the quality talk...

Superfluous

Some of the greatest leathers of 50-70 years ago probably wouldn't please our current quality control fanatics, but those jackets are why we're here today.

79542436_12460_173326366335_3784682_a_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe