Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detective Story

Feraud

Bartender
Detective Story

Has anyone seen this fine film? If not I wholeheartedly recommend it!
Kirk Douglas plays the "hard cop" role to perfection in this gripping story of a detective's obsessive drive to convict an abortion doctor. In his year long righteous quest Detective McLeod has done everything in his power to gather the evidence to convict the doctor. He has overlooked one piece of vital information. His wife had need of an abortion some years before they married. This doctor is the same man Dt. McLeod is pursuing. As a lawyer threatens to sue the police department for McLeod's physical abuse of his client the truth slowly comes out.
I was anxiously awaiting the moment Douglas hears the truth from his wife. I was rooting for him to overcome his self-righteous anger. He judges his wife's past like he does every petty thief, gangster, and murderer. In his limited way McLeod knows right and wrong when he sees it. His narrow sense of morality eventually destroys him. Only in the end does he barely glimpse the consequence of his harsh judgements.
Although released in 1951 this story has such a contemporary tone to it. Most of the scenes are filmed in a precinct house which gives it a play like feel. I can imagine this insightful story running on Broadway today.
I applaud the actors and creators of this film for presenting us with an honest picture of a man who views the world in black & white.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Cop Film Noir

The filming and the sub plots are what make this film great. The performance by William Bendix is great, the soft, reality hearted cop vs. the black hearted Detective who lets his job eat his soul.

The film was done very gritty and true to what a real precinct would be in NYC during that period.

Nice cars (they are dirty and dented), and the clothing is "as is as was" for the era.

I was struck that the role played by Kirk Douglas condemns his wife "Mary" for something that in todays society would not even be an afterthought.

See, in the 50's, abortion was a real big deal. Maybe it should be again...but this is not the place to discuss that HOT TOPIC.

Feraud

Bartender
I agree on all points Andykev!
I always enjoy seeing Bendix on screen. Is the art of the character actor lost in today's film?...
How pathetic was Douglas' character as a man who could not see the shades of grey where most of us live our lives?
Those detective outfits are quite iconic. :) I am going to try to post a few screencaps.

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
I love this film

One of the best movies ever made! If you get a chance, see the stage play as well. If you're lucky, the cast will be up to the task and give you a great show. You can really see where the police procedurals of today got their inspiration. Great movie!!! Gotta get the DVD.

S-H...

Feraud

Bartender
Screen caps from Detective Story.
DETECTIVE_STORY-2.jpg

DETECTIVE_STORY-58.jpg

DETECTIVE_STORY-27.jpg

DETECTIVE_STORY-44.jpg

check out the rise on the perp's pants on the left!
DETECTIVE_STORY-51.jpg

DETECTIVE_STORY-50.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
High-Waisted Perp Alert!

Isn't he the same guy who played Dr. No- Joseph Weissman?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
"Flitcraft, where've you been? I haven't seen you post in ages."

Where have I been? Why having manly man adventures- of course! You know, a little archaeology, subduing tribes of bloodthirsty headhunters,big game hunting, captured by Amazons- you know, just the usual!:D

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
It's a great movie and you haven't lived until you've seen the very intense Kirk scream "NOW LAY OFF!" to William Bendix! His reaction to a startling revelation is also classic Kirk. He really gave his all in this one...

mlktrout

New in Town
Movie to Kill Yourself by...

If you're going to kill yourself and you need a movie playing in the background, Detective Story is the movie! And I mean that in the nicest possible way!

I saw this movie the first time when I was 16. (I'm 47) Back then "downer" movies were bread and butter to me. I loved everything about that movie. It ended so badly for almost everybody...

Fast-forward a few years and I'm married with a couple of kids. It comes on and I tell my husband "we must watch this wonderful movie!" We do. It ends. Husband says, "wow, that was incredibly intense and philosophical." I say, "I wanna kill myself! Why did I never notice how depressing it is!!"

It really is a fantastic movie, the acting is great by everybody and especially William Bendix for whom I've always had a soft spot. But don't expect to be left in the mood to go out and play volleyball or prune roses when it goes off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe