Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Morgan's "Explorer Hat" by Akubra

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hello all,
I was just browsing the DM website and came across the new Akubra "Explorer". Now I'm wondering if this is the Fed or the Fed Deluxe that we can see on Hat's Direct web site ( which so many loungers rave about). So what's the consensus on this DM hat?...Has anyone heard anything yet...and what is it comparable to?
Waiting to hear from the pros...
Colby Jack

fatwoul

Practically Family
I've had a look, and it certainly looks very similar to a reg fed - the bow and block shape look the same, although the ribbon colour looks different. The description as a hat for Indy fans also points to it being the same design as the Federation.

Why would they use a different name for the hat when selling to David Morgan? Was "Federation" the name for the hat when it was sole exclusively through HatsDirect?

I also think that most of the guys over at Club Obi-Wan would argue with David Morgan's instructions over how to obtain an accurate Indiana Jones bash - I have seen very few teardrop crowns over there, and such a bash certainly isn't necessary with a Federation in order to acheive a good looking Raiders-style bash.

EDIT: My, my. What a stir this hat is creating over at C.O.W.

Russ

One of the Regulars
It does look like a Federation, and I believe the dimensions are the same. Well, that's great news for those who live in America. I'm happy to see they decided to not put those chin strap hooks in this one. They should leave them off their Squatter and Bushman as well since those can be bashed as fedoras as well.

I figured it was a matter of time before other Akubra vendors insisted on access to this popular model. Since the Federation is named after the centenary of Australia's Federation, it makes perfect sense to rename it for the American market.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Russ said:
...Since the Federation is named after the centenary of Australia's Federation, it makes perfect sense to rename it for the American market.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Afterall, the name of the Akubra Federation was essentially a celebration of national independence from Britain - something the Americans would also appreciate. Afterall, is the US not also a "federation"? :)

Edward

Bartender
Anyone ordered one of these from the UK yet? I'm curious as to whrther it'd be cheaper to buy an Akubra from the US or Australia (so far, Aus looks cheaper by a few quid, I think, but the shipping I don't know about...).

I do indeed, as that site suggests, also like the bullwhip, but at USD770, I think I'll pass - that's more than the entire rest of the outfit put together is gonig to cost me! :eek:

dzacca

New in Town
It actually seems to be the same hat. The brown tone seems a bit reddish than my Fed DL, maybe this one is the regular Fed in mid brown.
The description says it's made in Akubra’s Imperial Quality fur felt, the deluxe is Eritage Quality. Anyone with a regular Fed could confirm the Imperial Quality of their hat?

dzacca

New in Town
I found the specification of the Federation:

SPECIFICATIONS

* A straight non tapered crown, 5.5" - 6" tall, proportional to hat size.
* Traditional 38mm (1 1/2") gro grain ribbon trim.
* "Open Crown", put your own "bash" or shape into the hat.
* Snap brim, will turn down at front and up at rear,
* Dimensional cut 2 7/8" x 2 3/4" or 73 x 70 mm.
* Satin lining.

The explorer from DM:

The open crown is 5-1/2 inches, the raw edge brim is 2-7/8 inches on the front and back, 2-5/8 inches on the sides. It is made in Akubra’s Imperial Quality fur felt in a mid brown color. It is finished with a matching 1-3/8 inch grosgrain ribbon band. Fully lined, with a reeded roan leather sweatband.

Very very similar hat, only minor changes in the ribbon and in dimensional cut. Imperial Quality in mid brown is exactly the same color and the same fur felt of the regular federation.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful job everyone

:eusa_clap
I saw that hat on DM's site and I was like "wow"...I can buy one here in the states!...Or would a regular fed run about the same (or less) from our Aussie friends. DM really should offer the delux as well, seeing that Hats Direct can't keep them onthe shelves.
Fatwoul...I bet C.O.W. is having a cow over this one....I saw Will Morgan on a thread last night debating their panama's...It would be interesting to see what he has to say about the Exploreer as well.
Colby Jack

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I would say to buy the hat from Hats Direct. It will cost you less even with the shipping. Theirservice is great. I even bought one from them and I'm a retailer!!

Steven

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
It does look similar ...
I'd be cool if we could get the lighter color. I love my Brown Deluxe so much that I figure my next new purchase could be a Fed. in tawny fawn. I have no hats in that lighter color range (except PB cuenca, of course :))

fatwoul

Practically Family
Edward said:
Anyone ordered one of these from the UK yet? I'm curious as to whrther it'd be cheaper to buy an Akubra from the US or Australia (so far, Aus looks cheaper by a few quid, I think, but the shipping I don't know about...)...

I was discussing the same thing over on C.O.W.

HatsDirect have already proved to me they are great to deal with. They bend over backwards to help their customers (they did for me, anyway - they ovalised my hat especially) and they write things on the parcels that "help". I'll say more in PM if someone wants to know what I am talking about. ;) Needless to say, those "things they write" can save us a lot of money, and is something which many other companies are not prepared to do.

They also supply the hat in a variety of colours, and both types of felt.

Add to that the fact that it was Ron at HatsDirect who worked with the guys at C.O.W. to get a prototype of the Federation underway, that company really was integral in the creation of the hat, and I think (as does Steve Delk, it seems) that they deserve the Indy fan's customer loyalty for that.

Steve also points out that the weaker dollar may make HatsDirect's Federation price a bit steeper than it once was, but fortunately our HatsDirect prices are still pretty good this side of the pond.

Personally, I'm sticking to HatsDirect for any future Akubras, and can only express how great I think they are.

warbird

One Too Many
fatwoul said:
I was discussing the same thing over on C.O.W.

HatsDirect have already proved to me they are great to deal with. They bend over backwards to help their customers (they did for me, anyway - they ovalised my hat especially) and they write things on the parcels that "help". I'll say more in PM if someone wants to know what I am talking about. ;) Needless to say, those "things they write" can save us a lot of money, and is something which many other companies are not prepared to do.

They also supply the hat in a variety of colours, and both types of felt.

Add to that the fact that it was Ron at HatsDirect who worked with the guys at C.O.W. to get a prototype of the Federation underway, that company really was integral in the creation of the hat, and I think (as does Steve Delk, it seems) that they deserve the Indy fan's customer loyalty for that.

Steve also points out that the weaker dollar may make HatsDirect's Federation price a bit steeper than it once was, but fortunately our HatsDirect prices are still pretty good this side of the pond.

Personally, I'm sticking to HatsDirect for any future Akubras, and can only express how great I think they are.

Well said.

Edward

Bartender
fatwoul said:
and they write things on the parcels that "help". I'll say more in PM if someone wants to know what I am talking about. ;) Needless to say, those "things they write" can save us a lot of money, and is something which many other companies are not prepared to do.

I know exactly what you mean, and this can make all the difference! Do they (as some companies) write these magical things automatically, or must one petition them to do so? ;)

There are a few hats I'd like from Akubra - on my current wishlist are a grey Stylemaster and a grey Fed, as well as a black Fed Deluxe (I like the idea of getting one of each type of Fed to see what the difference is for me...). I was leaning towards a Camptown for the Indy hat, but TBH while I have absolutely no doubt as to the quality of those hats, ordering from the UK is starting to make the Federation deluxe look like a much more affordable prospect. Maybe i'll start with one of those and then in future if i have more money..... etc.

I'd love to see a Federation Deluxe in midnight blue....

Gah, the list of clothes I desire just keeps growing and growing.... one day I'll manage to pick up some of them..... (I need to start shifting stuff on eBay!). Maybe when the family ask for birthday and Christmas gift ideas this year, I'll just send them a wishlist of links to hatsdirect.com.... ;)

Jerekson

One Too Many
Wow, the people at COW are going stir-crazy over this.

Indeed it is strange. Perhaps I'll email Ron and see what he says.

warbird

One Too Many
I will say it looks like a nice hat and I kind of like the slightly lower crown and brim that this appears to have.

I'm sure they will sell a bunch of them in coming months with the re-emergence of the Indy series.

I just doubt they will sell many to the old Group of people who helped create and make the fed a popular hat. This is due to the fact that the folks who helped design the fed originally went to DM to ask him to help them get it made and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with it.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Edward said:
I know exactly what you mean, and this can make all the difference! Do they (as some companies) write these magical things automatically, or must one petition them to do so? ;)...

OK this is getting really tiresome. I just typed out a nice long reply to this, and Fedora Lounge swallowed it. That's the second time this has happened this week. :rage:

Ed, here's a summary of what I already typed once. It doesn't sound as nice and conversational as the original, so apologies for that :rolleyes: :

Yes, the writing on parcels from HatsDirect is automatic, but you should probably still remind them. They will also suggest you stick to their standard shipping because it attracts less attention.

I received my own Fed Dlx in less than 10 days, as per their guarentee, even in the middle of the postal strikes.

When considering a Camptown, remember this:

1) Ken currently has them on discount, but not for much longer.

2) The weak dollar at the moment makes them cheaper than you might think - with Ken's discount, c Camptown Fieldmaster is only £15-£20 more than a Fed Dlx from HatsDirect, and that's with shipping included on both.

3) Ken's been talking about a black Camptown coming along.

4) He's really great to deal with - the most friendly and accommodating online vendor I have ever dealt with.

You really shouldn't take a Camptown off your wishlist until you have PM'd Ken and let him do his sales routine on you.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_doh:
Well it sounds like the way to go is to buy from Hats Direct. They do seem to have a better selection. I've noticed that when I look for other U.S. stores selling Akubra's, they have some very little to offer...maybe 3 or 4 hats at most. I've also heard that there is only one direct importer and they're the reason Akubra's aren't in more stores here.
I have my eye set on a few of them...

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
:eusa_doh:
Well it sounds like the way to go is to buy from Hats Direct. They do seem to have a better selection. I've noticed that when I look for other U.S. stores selling Akubra's, they have some very little to offer...maybe 3 or 4 hats at most. I've also heard that there is only one direct importer and they're the reason Akubra's aren't in more stores here.
I have my eye set on a few of them...

IMO, I think that's the right choice. HatsDirect have a very good relationship with Akubra directly, and have done for many years, and they keep a lot more Akubras in stock all the time. Even though my hat was out of stock at the time I first ordered it, they had it back in stock in less than a week.

What's more, in my case they went to the trouble of reserving me a Fed Reg in the meantime, in case the stock of Fed Dlxs I was after was delayed. As I said, a helpful gang down there at HatsDirect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe